Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

The Logic of Jacks ?

I am new to the concept of hydraulic jacks as my only prior coach had full HWH air bag leveling on my Dynasty. So I am just trying to get an idea of how I should be using these. We tend to stay in some RV parks with gravel or non-concrete pads for the coach, or we have inhabited state parks in the past which virtually never have concrete pads. We have been warned that even on blacktop, one may create dimples in the black top if you use the jacks as the coaches are heavy and compress the asphalt. So, I don't know what I should be doing.

Let me digress. When parked next to a '14 Winnie Tour a few months ago, in an RV park with dirt and gravel spaces, I watched as he set his jacks automatically and watched as the rear jacks simply sunk down into the gravel. He then went down to the front office and got some 4x4s and placed some of those under the jacks and then again sunk the 4x4s and his jack pads down into the gravel and dirt and managed to bend three of his four metal jack end pads as the 4x4s slipped every which way and he needed to eventually replace three pads.

So I need some guidance from those more familiar with this issue than I am.... Should I always avoid any pad that is not concrete? Should I be buying some plastic "pads" that go under my hydraulic pads? Should I be cutting some 2 x 10s and keep a supply in the basement for non concrete surfaces, or any I worrying about something that is not an issue? I would appreciate your experience and advice.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry heavy timber (2x12) and pads I can put under the jacks.

NOTE: if you are parking somewhere where the ground MAY freeze.... Put some kind of pad.. Be it wood or plastic

IF this freezes to the ground you drive off.. Tap gently with an 8 pound sledge once clear and it breaks free nicely.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Gary,

On our previous coach, I always carried the 12" plastic pads that I would put down on asphalt pads, and even on our owners lot pad which is stained to keep from scuffing up the pad.

One year at Talladega after a huge downpour, one of my jacks did exactly what you saw next door . . . it sunk! Quite a mess with no damage fortunately.

We just took delivery (well almost) of our new coach and I noticed that the left rear jack plate was bent. Someone had obviously hit a rock or some other hard object when lowering the jack.

I guess the bottom line is it all depends on the surface you are attempting to set up on.

Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We have 2 X 10 blocks and the plastic pads. We use them to protect spaces and to provide some stability if we think they will help. When we have seen really bad sites - once or twice - we just don't use the jacks at all. Makes for a bit of rocking, but it can be easy to sink. (We won't stay at a spot more than a day or two if it is too sketchy.)
Old 03-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
KIX

I've used, in the past, 2 x 10's and 2 x 12's for pads. I quit using them as they would crack when used on large gravel. About 5 years ago I cut 15" squares from 3/4" plywood. Screwed two together to make one jack pad. None have cracked since and they haven't sunk into the ground or maybe I haven't been in soft enough soil. They work for me.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Under soft, or less than ideal conditions, I think that you might be able to take some of the load off those jacks (making them less likely to sink/settle) by doing some pre-leveling using 2x material under your tires. Obviously, under those same conditions, you need to spread the load on the jacks out so you have more sq. in. of support than the jack pad itself offers.

A piece of 2x10 or 12 will split pretty easily if not backed with 3/4" plywood. Add a short piece of rope to something like that and you have an easy to use support pad that's going to be pretty difficult (but not impossible!) to bury.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I made my own "plywood" on of 2X12 lumber. Cutting them into 12" squares, I screwed two of them together with the grain of the top one at 90 degrees to the grain of the bottom one. In 12 years of use, these have never cracked even though they have been severely tested. In addition to soft surfaces, they are useful in exaggerated slope situations where the jacks have insufficient travel to level the coach. By putting one or two of these under a jack, you can increase its effective lifting range.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Gary if it's that soft where you park I'd be concerned about parking there. Getting one of these babies stuck is relatively easy and not pretty.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I used homemade 2x12 and 3/4 plywood pads until I bought my Anthem and figured I would buy those fancy 1 inch x18" square pads that Summit Stainless products sells at the RV show. While extremely nice they are somewhat of a PITA as I have forgotten them twice only to recover them later thru honest campground owners. I modified one of those clip on "don't forget your antenna" signs to say "don't forget your Jack pads stupid"!

Jack pads are great if you remember them!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #10

I have 2x12s and now have the plastic/rubber pads and really like them. Use them when on asphalt or softer, looser gravel. With the Cornerstone on overnight or short stays we use the air leveling and really like it😃. All JMHO 🚌🚓
Old 03-14-2015, 05:57 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Having the Hadley SLS on the Cornerstone, we rarely use the jacks. First of all, there is no chance of me forgetting to retract my jacks before retracting the slides, which is required on Entegra coaches. Secondly, I do not have to deal with the "sinking jack" issues. Thirdly, I have yet to be in a site where the air leveling will not handle the slope. If I did, I would be inclined to ask for a more level site.

Having leveling the coach on air and on jacks, we really don't feel a tremendous difference in "movement" when parked.

The only time I would want to use jacks is if I am going to be at one site for an extended period of time. Over time, we have experienced a slow loss of air in the SLS system and have to start the engine, air up, and reset. The jacks eliminate that issue.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Question - I rarely put down the jacks when I have my Anthem at our office (where we keep it when not out in it). We will have it out at least twice a month. Does not having the jacks down hurt anything? The coach is level - I have verified with a bubble level.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #13

Doesn't hurt a thing.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #14

The biggest mistake the fellow with the Winnie made was using 4x4's. The running thread is pads bigger than the jack foot. Any single pad timber smaller than the jack foot acts like a rock and concentrates the load thus increasing the force at that point.

If you go the 2x12 route look for grain lines across the plank not vertical. Wood tends to split on the grain line. Better is to add plywood or make them out of plywood as there is no predominate grain to give you a split path. If you make up multiple layers glue is worth the effort. So is a few inches oversize as it makes placing them easier.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks