Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I think the pan is too shallow for a float switch to work properly.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Why did they take a simple gravity drain system and complicate it with a pump. It never stops amazing me at the stupidity of some so called engineer.

Ken
X2 Ken. Perhaps when they get new engineers/designers come in, they think they have to change it all around, even when the present design is already proven.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
These guys have never heard the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Why did they take a simple gravity drain system and complicate it with a pump. It never stops amazing me at the stupidity of some so called engineer.

Ken
Because on the new low-profile units the drain pan is below the roof line.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Because on the new low-profile units the drain pan is below the roof line.
I thing this to shall go the way of the basement units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think the pan is too shallow for a float switch to work properly.
It's a very small well that the condensate drains into. Not really big enough for a float switch. Also, it can get pretty gunky in there for a switch to work.

Even on the older units (like my '07) the Pex lines can gunk up sometimes but an air hose blows them out easily. In the 6 years I've had mine I only has to blow it out once, otherwise no water runoff on the roof so the problem is limited to the latest models. All they need to do is backstep to the previous design condensate drain system. This is really a Coleman issue, not something Entegra should have to do - other than bring it to there attention and push for a fix.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So, I gave LD a change to fix my A/C drain problem, and that didn't work. RVP said to go to any dealer for warranty coverage, but the one's I called are all booking 3 weeks out. So, Hell, I'll just fix it myself! I climbed up and took the cover off and this is what I found.

The loop in the drain line is taller than the pump, creating an air-lock. My theory is the pump is just a lift pump, not enough head pressure to pump up hill. So I re-worked the drain, drilled a hole in the case a little higher up (have to then notch the cover to allow for this). Cut the 1/2" tubing back and put in an elbow. Removed the 1/4" elbow and put in a Tee to allow for an air vent. I was able to reuse most of the tubing I cut out, but still need some extra 1/4".

Now I have a gradual slope of the drain line.

Put it all back together and plug the old hole.

All three of my A/C's were built like this, now all the drains work and no more runoff from the roof. LD replaced two pumps under warranty, but now I'm thinking that was a rip off (however they do have a nice campground that was free while they did the work). This was NOT a RVP issue, it was an Entegra installation issue. I provided Entegra with a detailed report.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #22

Nicely Done !!!! Hats Off to You !!!! What an easy fix for Entegra during production !!! I will save your Info for future use just in case this problem continues in the future.
motor69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent modification to the drain problem. Thank you for sharing. I too have saved your post.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
AC drain

Smity3509

You da man!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent job Harold. Any idea how the top of the cooling fins got so beat up? Especially in the second picture there is a large section bent over.
mfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Good idea on the vent and reworking the drain slope! Thanks!

Been having problems for a while with the condensate draining onto the roof for the front AC unit (other two seem to be draining OK thru the drain lines), blew out the drain line with compressed air and that worked - for a few hours.

Yesterday it became a lot more serious - we had at least a quart of water come inside the coach thru the A/C air supply vents. Yuk.

Opened up the front A/C hood and found the area around the blower fan filled with water which was of course draining into the duct work.

I'm having trouble visualizing how it got there as the condensate is contained in a separate section that drains into the pump sump and if it overflows there are holes in the sump chamber that let it flow onto the roof.

Entegra has issued a TSB to put a clamp on the drain pump output hose, but that wasn't the problem in this case (I really had to work at it to get that hose off the pump). I did however find a kink in the drain line where the soft plastic tubing connects into the PEX line. Fixed that, but based on your post I'll further rework and get rid of any high loop.

Still at a loss though for why so much water got to be where it isn't supposed to - ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3835+skitch.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	51905  
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Harold,

I was wondering if water backs up too much- will it cover all those wires as well?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Good idea on the vent and reworking the drain slope! Thanks!

Been having problems for a while with the condensate draining onto the roof for the front AC unit (other two seem to be draining OK thru the drain lines), blew out the drain line with compressed air and that worked - for a few hours.

Yesterday it became a lot more serious - we had at least a quart of water come inside the coach thru the A/C air supply vents. Yuk.

Opened up the front A/C hood and found the area around the blower fan filled with water which was of course draining into the duct work.

I'm having trouble visualizing how it got there as the condensate is contained in a separate section that drains into the pump sump and if it overflows there are holes in the sump chamber that let it flow onto the roof.

Entegra has issued a TSB to put a clamp on the drain pump output hose, but that wasn't the problem in this case (I really had to work at it to get that hose off the pump). I did however find a kink in the drain line where the soft plastic tubing connects into the PEX line. Fixed that, but based on your post I'll further rework and get rid of any high loop.

Still at a loss though for why so much water got to be where it isn't supposed to - ???
I had a long conversation with Coleman on this suggesting they needed drain holes in that separate compartment. What is happening (at least it was with mine) was the copper line to the cooling element had the foam back about two inches from the bend into the cooling coils (upper left of your picture) and it was dripping condensation into the pan around the blower. When that gets too high it then come into the ducting through the circular side to the barrel blower area (just above your middle arrow).

I bought some AC tape for another reason, and I basically put a six inch tape across the circular area of the pan supporting the blower. This dammed the water out, from the ducting. When it does get full it just spills on the roof and drains. Basically, it works fine; put the dam on both sides of the blower.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner