Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
The power of power surges.

For those that do not have an Electric Management System installed on their MH's yet thinking it doesn't happen that often...it does.

Monday night we had a bad power surge at my sticks and bricks...it took out our fairly new Breville convection oven.

There are a lot of new coach owners on the forum, just wanted to pass on how important an after market EMS is...it does happen. Entegra still recommends installing an EMS over and above their factory surge protector.

The only one I know on the market that has a lifetime warranty is Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea The brand sold at Camping World only has a one year warranty.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
You are exactly right Chuck, a neighbor of ours just got done replacing about everything electronic in their S&B. As far as the progressive unit goes they are first in my book. It started acting up one day and wouldn't allow power to go thru. I checked the display and it was showing over 220 volts on both legs. I checked the power source to verify the voltage was correct which it was, called the company to ask if there was some sort of reset. The answer was to send it in and they would check it out. They sent me a new one as far as I could tell. Can't beat that warranty. The only thing I didn't like was running without it for a few days.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I started RV;ing with my parents in 1957 and got my first TT in 1968. Since then I've never been without and RV and I've never had an EMS or surge protector until we got the Magna last year. In all those years I've never lost any appliance to low voltage nor a surge. The present rig does have it and I'm glad it does due to all the electronics in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
There are a lot of new coach owners on the forum, just wanted to pass on how important an after market EMS is...it does happen. Entegra still recommends installing an EMS over and above their factory surge protector
Hi Chuck,
are you saying that Entegra for the 2017's is still recommending an additional surge guard? It was my understanding that the 17's transfer switch has over and under voltage protection.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
MR D, that was the point to my post, people can be lucky for several years, but it only takes one surge on a 1/2 a million $$ MH to make a believer of EMS's. If MH owners plan on spending any time in FL, it's a must have with my experience living here. I think this is the 3rd time we have suffered electrical damage on the S&B. I wish the made whole house EMS like they do for MH's.

Trying to get parts for my Breville Confection Oven that took the hit,..... they no longer sell parts, so it's a complete replace.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Hi Chuck,
are you saying that Entegra for the 2017's is still recommending an additional surge guard? It was my understanding that the 17's transfer switch has over and under voltage protection.
When I took PJ's class last month, he said they still recommended EMS's with higher ratings. I think he was including the 2017's, but that is worth checking on. Maybe Mark will know for sure.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The EMS is a very inexpensive protection for such an expensive investment whether the coach manufacturer recommends it or not.

The S&B was hit by lightning in July. It hasn't been pretty.
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Brobox: Respectfully suggest you contact Joe Vell @ Contractorplusinc.com, in Fort Myers about whole home protection. I don't know him or his company. He learned the hard way also.

Whole home protection devices have been on the market for decades. Of course the latest ones are best.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalgas View Post
The EMS is a very inexpensive protection for such an expensive investment whether the coach manufacturer recommends it or not.

The S&B was hit by lightning in July. It hasn't been pretty.
Agreed but I believe Entegra is using the 40350 transfer switch which has surge and under-voltage protection already built in. That is why I was wondering if Entegra was suggesting additional protection. I know many have chosen to do both, I was just wondering what the official Entegra position was.

S&B and motorhomes are very different animals when it comes to lightning protection simply because the house is attached to the ground in so many ways while the motorhome is sitting on rubber and unless connected to a power poll, jacks or cable, it is pretty lightning resistant. Houses are not only suseptable to lightning strikes but even near hits can cause substantial damage. My house has never been directly hit by lightning and yet I have sustained over $20,000 worth of damage from 3 near hits. I have whole house surge protection including the cable and phone, lightning rods on the roof and the house grounds are bonded and I still had substantial damage. It's what happens when you live in Florida!
Btw, Chuck I wouldn't waste your money on a whole home surge protection, just my experience!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I started RV;ing with my parents in 1957 and got my first TT in 1968. Since then I've never been without and RV and I've never had an EMS or surge protector until we got the Magna last year. In all those years I've never lost any appliance to low voltage nor a surge. The present rig does have it and I'm glad it does due to all the electronics in it.
I guess we have been lucky also. Bought the first RV in 1980 (1976 Midas Mini with 400 small block). The only issue we ever had was at Palo Duro Canyon watching the play "Texas" when a thunderstorm hit the Midas sitting in the parking lot (no toad back then) not plugged into anything. Blew out the microwave the TV and the tank gauges.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
The 2017s have this Surge Guard transfer switch.

Surge Guard RVC Compatible ATS with Full RV Power Protection | Technology Research, LLC

It has pretty good specs and does have low voltage protection, but only a 1 year warranty versus Progressive's lifetime warranty. I had a Progressive EMS-HW50C hard wired in front of the transfer switch so it fails first - it's easier to replace.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
When I took PJ's class last month, he said they still recommended EMS's with higher ratings. I think he was including the 2017's, but that is worth checking on. Maybe Mark will know for sure.
The 40350 is the new transfer switch that Entegra is using in 2017. It matches the Progressive unit as far as capabilities go. The advantage to the 40350 is that it doesn't take up any extra room in the bay and it monitors the generator as well as shore power. Neither of those are big deals. I use the 40250RVC, which was superceded by the 40350RVC the week after I got mine and has basically the same specs. I don't use the Progressive but I have on the last two coaches. Both are good units so you won't go wrong with either one. Having both might be overkill but it sure won't hurt anything.

As to sticks and bricks - I do have surge suppression. When I built my house I installed one right into the breaker panel along with a lightning hit module. It won't do low voltage protection but I don't have that. There are numerous levels of EMS protection available. If you are in a frequent hit area there are options that will help protect you.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
We have the progressive unit at the power box as a first line of defense. It does a 20 second continuity/voltage read before allowing the power to go through to the Coach and I can stand there and read the Voltages and amps on each leg. Also, if it blows I still have the house system as a backup. I believe in redundancy when it comes to power and the lifetime warranty is an added bonus!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Just an FYI. My S&B hit was not hit by lightning or anywhere near, just a really bad power surge that knocked all of the power out hard for a second.The sat system went through a 10 minute reboot. It could have been a lightning hit at the power station. Anything is possible in FL.

Gary, I totally agree, I do have a whole house surge protector on the main power box. In my opinion, it is worthless. Even the power company, which installed it, does not stand behind it, only replaces it after the damage to the S&B has been done. A total waste of money and not cheap.

I have expensive "guards" on all of the entertainment centers and will now add one to the kitchen appliances. (taking my own advise )

At least the Breville, is a pick up and throw away, not like the electrical appliances in our MH's

Tags
power