RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

The Quietest Riding Best Handling Coach?

We have put about 2500 miles on our new 2017 Anthem in our first month of ownership. I'm very interested to hear from those of you who have owned one for two or more years how the quiet ride and handling have held up. We came across Pa. this week and I'm amazed at how rough the ride was on the interstates. I'm surprised something did not break. Also, there seems to be more air noise around the door at interstate speeds than when we left Atlanta.

On smooth roads it's terrific but I'm concerned about long term impact on ride quality because their seems to be more rough roads than smooth in our country today. What should I expect going forward?

2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and have to say it is a very quiet ride. When the road gets rough we have some noise from the inside as things rattle, but that is to be expected. Other than that it's a great ride.

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV

Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Mike I agree with you about the terrible state of the roads. It feels like it's going to shake the mh to pieces, but in the 14 Anthem we had I couldn't tell the roads degraded the ride or noise after two years.
I can't say the same about SOB of MHs we've owned. At least the Entegra walls are bolted down with carriage bolts, through the frame, instead of screws going up from the bottom.
I'm pretty amazed that they stay together as well as they do, but all you can do is try to miss some of the truck ruts leading up to the bridges, be glad you have an Entegra, and hope the next shovel ready jobs will be our roads. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I can't compare to SOB as I have not had another. But slide squeaks, windows (front driver especially)rattling, screws coming undone, caulking separating are all things one might expect over a few years time..at least that is what I have found. I think the radiator leak (hopefully in the past) had to do with vibrations to the chassis as well.
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I just changed my front shocks to Koni's that others have raved about. We leave the end of the month for Entegra where I will see if the ride has improved. I have had a door and drivers window wind noise since new that I am hoping can be corrected at Entegra. I have fixed about 85% of the wind noise, but it is not completely gone.

Due to the condition of the Interstates nation wide, we try to travel the highways as much as possible.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

What do you mean by SOB? Must be another definition than the one I know.
2013 Harley RG on a HydraLift
Mike&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

SOB = Some Other Brand
HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
What do you mean by SOB? Must be another definition than the one I know.
Some Other Brand
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
As for door noise, I get this if I close the door gently. If I slam it hard (as directed to do by the dealer) little or no door noise. Try slamming it hard. It won't hurt it to do so.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Regardless of slamming,,,which we do, have found that wind noise varies dramatically depending on the direction the wind is hitting the coach from. That may have something to do with the voids that Chuck has isolated or maybe caulking that has come apart or both?
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

Mike,

I hate to say it...."Welcome to Pennsylvania" These are the worst roads of any state I have lived in. Other owners have discussed on previous threads/posts how they have reduced the rattling or excessive noise by wrapping or separating dishes, cookware and glasses with different materials for travel. We have not done that so I can't make a recc. Might be worth a try to reduce the noise if you have not done so already.

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The roads are bad and they will have an effect on the longevity of any vehicle. Entegras aren't exempt from that either. However, after almost one year and 14,000 miles I have to say that our Entegra "loosened up" far less than our other coaches. Entegra's unique design of thick wooden floor, extensive insulation and the various truss mods to the chassis help to keep things from flexing and twisting out of shape, which gives you those eventual squeaks and groans later on from all the loose joints in the super structure. This helps to keep the road noise and vibrations down to a minimum up in the coach as well as deadening the sound.

I feel certain in saying that if you take two different brand coaches, run them for 60,000 miles or more over a 5 year span in the same conditions and you'll find that the Entegra is holding up better in the end. In fact I could see that before I bought an Entegra and that was one of the main factors in why I chose Entegra.

Wind noise is minimized as well by flush windows and door. Our last coach entry door wasn't flush and had a plastic wind deflector that always got brittle and cracked. The Entegra door is quite although, as mentioned earlier, it helps to slam the door. If you just close it lightly and then encounter high winds it can pop past the pneumatic latch (but not the mechanical one) and cause a wind whistle. In that case, pull over, open the door and slam it closed and it'll be fine.

We also had an issue with the large 30x60 window over the desk in the 45A. That's a new full height pane design for 2016 and the largest window Entegra uses. The wind gets underneath the outer pane and tends to lift it in high wind conditions at highway speeds. A new window design is being implemented to correct that and I believe it's limited to the 45A due to the large size of that window and the fact that it's the front-most window which takes the hit of all the oncoming wind when traveling, although it's always worse on the leeward side of the coach. NIRVC actually put a deflector strip on the front of mine when I was down there this spring and it made a huge difference. Travel in the Dakotas or Montana where the wind is serious and the speed limits are 75 MPH and you'll know what that sounds like.

But that's just a new discovery by Entegra and they'll take care of that as they always do.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Chris View Post
We have put about 2500 miles on our new 2017 Anthem in our first month of ownership. I'm very interested to hear from those of you who have owned one for two or more years how the quiet ride and handling have held up. We came across Pa. this week and I'm amazed at how rough the ride was on the interstates. I'm surprised something did not break. Also, there seems to be more air noise around the door at interstate speeds than when we left Atlanta.

On smooth roads it's terrific but I'm concerned about long term impact on ride quality because their seems to be more rough roads than smooth in our country today. What should I expect going forward?
Over time you want to keep an eye on ride height which can drastically affect ride and handling. Not sure why but the ride height on my 2015 had changed and it had a big effect on the coach.
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
jb4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Being that new I'm wondering what they are running for tire pressures. I continue to meet new folks with new coaches where the dealer has 130psi all around. :( :(

Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test