RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 AM   #29

Our first winter in Port Charlotte, Fl. after getting our Anthem we had the
" popping " almost every AM and PM but couldn't determine what it was. A neighbor was over one morning heard the noise and immediately told me what it was. Our dealer, LD's , added 1 qt. of Cat Antifriction hyd. fluid and after several cycles of the jacks the issue went away. Other owners I've talked to have used Marvel Mystery oil with equally good results as others have said.

Chuck, that's one they got right 😬 !

Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
The Marvin Mystery oil would be less expensive and easier to find. I think I'll try it. If I remember correctly, the Cat oil was around $40 a quart
I wouldn't be surprise if it isn't the same stuff re-branded.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:38 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can find Marvel Mystery Oil at most auto parts stores and Tractor Supply. Raise your jacks before adding to the reservoir otherwise you risk over filling and causing a mess. Ask me how I know.
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
You can find Marvel Mystery Oil at most auto parts stores and Tractor Supply. Raise your jacks before adding to the reservoir otherwise you risk over filling and causing a mess. Ask me how I know.
Also need to draw a quart of fluid out of the reservoir before adding the MM oil. I am a firm believer of Marvel Mystery oil and would try that first.

I just read something on the internet, add 1/2 a quart, cycle the jacks then add the other 1/2 a quart and I believe that was with the jacks down. Makes sense that it would mix the fluids better.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #33
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra told me they added Marvel Mystery Oil to our system in April this year _before_ we had the clunking for the month of June in Pagosa. Jacks had probably been cycled 6-8 times before we set up in Pagosa, but maybe that wasn't enough to mix, as we haven't heard that sound since early July when we left Pagosa. We've set the jacks five times since then.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Chuck, next time I add fluid, I'll know the correct procedure. Thanks
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Chuck, next time I add fluid, I'll know the correct procedure. Thanks
I just leaned that procedure too. Researching the topic I found a write up on using the CAT oil and how to mix it with the jack fluid. I still learn from these posts even after my popping has stopped. Who knows, I may be going though it again.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 09-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #36

**UPDATE**
So I called back to Equalizer CS on Monday and talked to them at length about my clunking and got the same response that they had not heard of the issue. I told them about my post and that many of you that had similar experiences had used a friction reducer in the leveling jacks hydraulic reservoir and that alleviated if not eliminated the clunking. I talked to them about a new word I learnt, STICTION and asked if that could be a possibility and the response remained the same..... adamant that it was not the leveling system.

Almost reluctantly, I made a trip to the local Caterpillar Dealership and picked up a quart of the friction reducer in the very expensive Cat labelled bottle and with the only dollar I had left in my wallet I stopped at a dollar store on the way home and picked up a Turkey Baster.

The process I followed to add it to my coach:
I left the jacks down, in the auto-leveled position and with the turkey baster I removed about 1.5 quarts of Dextron from the reservoir. I didn't measure, just pulled it out and put it in a clean container.

I added all the friction reducer to the reservoir, then went inside and cycled the jacks from fully extended to fully retracted. I repeated that process 3 times in an attempt to a good mix and then did an auto level. Back outside, I then filled the empty Cat bottle with Dextron from my container to exchange the volume of the friction reducer added and returned the remaining Dextron back to the reservoir.

Monitoring the issue the past few days I am happy to report that 99% of the clunking has been eliminated the remaining clunks have been at a much lower magnitude and all in the rear. To clean up those last few clunks I may need to add more friction reducer, or maybe cycle the jacks a few more times. We move next Wednesday, so I think I will wait until then cycle the jacks once or twice before and after the move, then monitor again prior to adding more "juice"

Thank-you to all of your input, I willingly admit I did not believe that was my problem, but it was. Much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #37

Has anyone found the MSDS for the Caterpillar anti-stiction oil??

Curious as to what is in it.

Little known trivial fact is that whale oil has a profound anti-stiction effect. For many many years whale oil was used in automatic transmission fluid to obtain the necessary stick/slip requirements to make automatic transmissions shift effectively. The whale oil was removed back in the early 70's I believe. Whaling became very anti-social and whale oil in the US was eliminated. There was a flurry of activity to find something to replace it. I understand that Japanese spec automatic transmission fluid still contains whale oil as does the oil used by some of the CVT's in Japan. Japan still whales so it is available. The GM positraction units that have clutch plates and preload springs were notorious for popping and jerking when turning and a special additive was available for GM posi units to prevent this. It contained a high dose of whale oil. Obviously not available anymore. Maybe synthetic whale oil was developed.

Curious if the Cat stuff has whale oil in it??? Seriously!
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Has anyone found the MSDS for the Caterpillar anti-stiction oil??

Curious as to what is in it.

Little known trivial fact is that whale oil has a profound anti-stiction effect. For many many years whale oil was used in automatic transmission fluid to obtain the necessary stick/slip requirements to make automatic transmissions shift effectively. The whale oil was removed back in the early 70's I believe. Whaling became very anti-social and whale oil in the US was eliminated. There was a flurry of activity to find something to replace it. I understand that Japanese spec automatic transmission fluid still contains whale oil as does the oil used by some of the CVT's in Japan. Japan still whales so it is available. The GM positraction units that have clutch plates and preload springs were notorious for popping and jerking when turning and a special additive was available for GM posi units to prevent this. It contained a high dose of whale oil. Obviously not available anymore. Maybe synthetic whale oil was developed.

Curious if the Cat stuff has whale oil in it??? Seriously!

Well.....that must be why whales don't crack and pop in the evenings....
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #39

Wonder if it would help reduce my "cracks and pops" in the morning if I add some to my coffee???
Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The additive mentioned is stiction reducer. Here is LCI's recommendation https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf. I tried it and it works. I got the CAT additive at one of their dealers. It was about $25.00.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #41

Sounds like you guys with the motorhome leveling systems have it made in comparison to the lippert system on my 5th wheel. all 6 jacks pop constantly throughout the day in most areas, and it tends to get worse depending on how long I've been parked. I've tried both the motorcycle strut fluid and the Cat fluid recommended by the Lippert service sheet to no avail. Interestingly, if you measure strut extension over the course of a day, you can get almost half an inch of travel between the high and low points of the daily variation.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #42

Congrats on getting this figured out. Sorry the fluid broke the bank. LOL. thanks for posting the resolution. So much for calling the experts. I guess tribal knowledge wins again.

That's why I keep in touch with this site. One thing I have learned over the years is that someone sitting on a chair looking at a computer screen does not always have the correct answer.

swberry is offline   Reply With Quote