Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Getting back to our first annual Entegra warranty visit to the factory, we went in on a Monday evening and met our assigned tech at 6:30 the next morning. He kept us updated, checked with us as to our experience with various systems on the coach, found and corrected things we didn't realize were in need of attention and said on Friday a.m. that we would be able to leave after lunch. He was true to his word. I gave him a fifty dollar bill and told him that dinner was on us. He tried to refuse but we insisted.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:38 AM   #16

At our factory PDI, we left a basked of candy in our coach with a note that stated, Enjoy. Once we saw what candy they liked (and the tech thanking us and stating all the techs like a certain candy), we filled the basked each day with their candy of choice. We also brought the techs donuts from that donut place down the road. They have awesome donuts but I can't remember the name of the place.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I only tip techs if/when their work is worth more than the $120+ an hour the shop charges for their labor.
(In other words NEVER)!
Mel
'96 Safari
Mobile Techs are much less than $120. an hour they come to you (you save the fuel). Once you find one you like, you get the same tech each time. Another nice thing about mobile, if you don't like his work, you can stop him right there, you still have the keys, not the shop. Yes, I tip him, I hope if I need special scheduling, I can get it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Only found one tech who deserved it and he worked late on a friday night to get my coach fixed. Bought him and his buddies pizza and beer. If I ever took a unit into a dealer again and got great service I would not hesitate to compensate the actual tech, not his boss.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:20 AM   #19

While at Entegra camp - two times once for warranty work and then final PDI we received very good service. We left the tech a thank you card and cash or a gift card as a way of saying Thanks for you help. They were both friendly, upbeat and quite a help to us. I had Joyce deliver the cards to them. It just seemed like the right thing to do. They are proud of their work and we wanted to recognize them. I usually do in the $50.00 range.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great Human interest stories. It made me feel good reading the experiences and I'm sure it made those techs feel good as well. It's not ALWAYS about the $$$$$ folks. I said it before and still mean it. Thanks goes a long way. If you throw in a few goodies that's even better.
Now this is wrong. We have some local businesses who will give an extra 50 cents per hour if you show up to work on time every day for a week. You are expected to show up on time every day. There should be no extra pay.

Five years ago as we slowly drove out of a Pilot service area with our brand new TT a dump truck nailed the front corner and that entire side. It was his fault and our TT was totaled. There was a semi tractor/ trailer salvage yard about 3/4 of a mile down the street. I talked to them and they said I could park the TT on their lot behind locked gates. We did all the police and insurance stuff then headed to a motel. The next day we unloaded everything into the pickup and headed home. The owner of the salvage yard loaned me a crow bar and some other tools. After we got back we sent them a gift card for $75 to Subway. They were big boys and we knew they'd appreciate some subs. They didn't have to allow us to park the TT in their lot and I don't know how long the TT sat there before the insurance company had somebody evaluate it. We never heard another word from them so I guess all went well.

TeJay
Old 04-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Great Human interest stories. It made me feel good reading the experiences and I'm sure it made those techs feel good as well. It's not ALWAYS about the $$$$$ folks. I said it before and still mean it. Thanks goes a long way. If you throw in a few goodies that's even better.
Now this is wrong. We have some local businesses who will give an extra 50 cents per hour if you show up to work on time every day for a week. You are expected to show up on time every day. There should be no extra pay.

Five years ago as we slowly drove out of a Pilot service area with our brand new TT a dump truck nailed the front corner and that entire side. It was his fault and our TT was totaled. There was a semi tractor/ trailer salvage yard about 3/4 of a mile down the street. I talked to them and they said I could park the TT on their lot behind locked gates. We did all the police and insurance stuff then headed to a motel. The next day we unloaded everything into the pickup and headed home. The owner of the salvage yard loaned me a crow bar and some other tools. After we got back we sent them a gift card for $75 to Subway. They were big boys and we knew they'd appreciate some subs. They didn't have to allow us to park the TT in their lot and I don't know how long the TT sat there before the insurance company had somebody evaluate it. We never heard another word from them so I guess all went well.

TeJay

On the flip side I had dealt with techs that should have given ME compensation for putting up with them
Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post

On the flip side I had dealt with techs that should have given ME compensation for putting up with them
Knightab

I avoid any service shop or service tech that needs a tip, (or candy, or pizza, or beer), to do good work.
BTW. nobody tips their doctor... their attorney... or the traffic cop who writes them a ticket... when they do good work.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Knightab

I avoid any service shop or service tech that needs a tip, (or candy, or pizza, or beer), to do good work.
BTW. nobody tips their doctor... their attorney... or the traffic cop who writes them a ticket... when they do good work.

Mel
'96 Safari
LOL, last cop I tried to tip got me in trouble! LOL
Ps, I never take to a tech unless it is absolutely something I could not tackle. For instance a delaminating side wall or such. Anything short of that I consider repairable by myself
Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Knightab

Mel
'96 Safari
You must be a crusty old dude....LOL
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one tech that I tip regularly. Over time he has saved me a lot of money by being completely honest on what was needed and not needed. He also has done great work for me. I make sure his boss sees me do it as well.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
BTW. nobody tips their doctor... their attorney... or the traffic cop who writes them a ticket..
There are differences with distinctions. The first two are not usually hourly employees and the last is subject to bribery - therefore giving money could be interpreted as illegal.

I think that employees in the service sector appreciate and are incentivized by gratuity when earned.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #27

While getting work at Winnebago in Forest City... We were extremely please with our Service Rep... He was awesome and was very accommodating...

We knew the next day was going to be our last... so that night we baked brownies... we laid them out and when the Service Rep showed up at our door promptly at 7:30am.. we told him to please share with his crew... he was very appreciative and said we definitely know the way to his crew's heart... it was a big hit.. upon return of the RV, he said a few of the other crews were jealous..

So.. I guess it doesn't hurt to have a box of brownie mix in the RV for just such an occasion...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
I tip the guys that do work for my at my commercial buildings. When Hurricane Charlie hit, I called those guys at 5PM. By noon the next day all of my repair work and cleanup was done on my house before most people had got a hold of their insurance companies. The big tree that fell across my patio was cut up and out at the street before sunset.

If I did not tip them over the years, and pay in cash, there is no way I would have had that kind of service. What goes around comes around. My neighbors took as long as 6 months waiting for insurance settlements. My guys knew they would have cash on the spot and were here immediately.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
service