RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I understand PERFECTLY!!

If you are on a very curvy mountainous road without guard rails on the cliff side of the road away from the mountain (because there is no room to install them), the last thing that you want to happen is anything that may jerk the steering toward the "at risk of the coach going over the side of the mountain" side..... I understand his thinking perfectly. Anything that is likely to let you maintain the coach in a straight line and in your lane without any deviation is a disaster preventer in my estimation.

Gary
Very astute Gary, very astute!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #44

Smile

So as a followup to my previous posts, I just ordered a set of Rettroband's for my coach
2016 Anthem. Tires 315/80 22.5.

NIRVC Pheonix (Kevin Valente) shipped to my local tire dealer in Penngrove, CA and will have installed there.

Total price with tax and shipping to California = $3908.80

Price of install around $200.00.

Next big trip into the Rockies for two months. Yes, pricey but peace of mind and besides, what price would you put on your forehead for what your worth?

Fair winds and down hill grades...

Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #45

Congrats Gregg and I think that you have made a smart move.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
So as a followup to my previous posts, I just ordered a set of Rettroband's for my coach
2016 Anthem. Tires 315/80 22.5.

NIRVC Pheonix (Kevin Valente) shipped to my local tire dealer in Penngrove, CA and will have installed there.

Total price with tax and shipping to California = $3908.80

Price of install around $200.00.

Next big trip into the Rockies for two months. Yes, pricey but peace of mind and besides, what price would you put on your forehead for what your worth?

Fair winds and down hill grades...
Let us know how the install goes. I'm leaning towards doing the same.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #47

There is a video on utube on how to handle a blow out. Short version is accelerate hard and after a couple seconds slow down gradually.
Silent Thund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #48

When I was taking flying lessons, the instructor would randomly, might be four or five lessons in between doing it, reach over and pulled the throttle to idle and say, "you just lost your engine" and I was then expected to put the plane into best glide configuration, find an emergency landing spot and take it in for a landing and had to continue until he reached over and gave it throttle again.

I've thought about telling my wife to take the same approach and randomly, loudly say, "blowout, blowout!!!"
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:40 PM   #49

Major problem with Trailers and 5th wheels along with trucks is that they come new with the lowest, therefore, cheapest grade tires. Most all of them are restricted to 65mph. Most people drive from 70-80 mph. Most Central states are at 75-80mph. After a long days ride the tires heatup, plus pressure builds up when they are hot, many times far beyond the capacity of a low grade 65mph tires. I have always felt that the brand is not the most important, but the grade of the tires which always states a higher mph for the tires. My F350 and Keystone Cougar 5th wheel all have Grade G tires with an 85mph speed rating. Highly recommended by numerous Tire Shops.
HDTripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Blowout Protection Question

I have replaced my front shocks with Koni, which are a bit softer than the stock Bilstein shocks. I added a Safe-T-Plus. My tires are the stock Michelins which I will replace after six years of use. I use a tire coating on my outer sidewalls. One of my sons works for the company that owns Goodyear and I can get RV tires for about half price, but I think it would be better to stay with Michelin. My coach (2016 Entegra Anthem) has around 35K on the odometer and I full time. The tires, new shocks, Safe-T-Plus, and tire coating are all intended to keep my tires in good condition and I keep my tires inflated properly. I know that if a blowout occurs I should accelerate to maintain control before slowing down. I have read good and bad things about Tyron and haven't spent the money to install them.

Here is my question. If I pay the $10K and add HWH Active Air will that help with handling if I get a front tire blowout? Does it improve the ride quality and campground leveling enough to be worth the price? I have read good and bad about Active Air as well. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Knowing how, which I do "in theory, but never practiced," and executing in that moment, which could have all kinds of factors (environmental, distraction, etc.) in play, are two different things.
One of the major reasons I also have owned and getting ready to take delivery of a 2020 4369 Ventana is Comfort Drive. If a driver knows what to do in the case of a blowout and has comfort drive - it shouldn't be a problem in most situations. I hope everyone who drives an RV has watched the blowout videos taken and what to do and what not to do!

Basically, you keep driving, don't hit the brakes! Instead increase the speed of the vehicle and drive it to the curb slowly! It's just physics- which most of us never learned or had - lols!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 716 View Post
I have replaced my front shocks with Koni, which are a bit softer than the stock Bilstein shocks. I added a Safe-T-Plus. My tires are the stock Michelins which I will replace after six years of use. I use a tire coating on my outer sidewalls. One of my sons works for the company that owns Goodyear and I can get RV tires for about half price, but I think it would be better to stay with Michelin. My coach (2016 Entegra Anthem) has around 35K on the odometer and I full time. The tires, new shocks, Safe-T-Plus, and tire coating are all intended to keep my tires in good condition and I keep my tires inflated properly. I know that if a blowout occurs I should accelerate to maintain control before slowing down. I have read good and bad things about Tyron and haven't spent the money to install them.

Here is my question. If I pay the $10K and add HWH Active Air will that help with handling if I get a front tire blowout? Does it improve the ride quality and campground leveling enough to be worth the price? I have read good and bad about Active Air as well. Thanks.
These have nothing to do with Tyron bands, completely different.
Iím not saying it wonít, but I donít see HWH active air helping with a front tire blowout.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #53

Steve:

HWH deals with suspension and ride height and changes in coach level in real time. However, I cant imagine how that would have anything to do with increased handling in the event of a front tire blow out.

My understanding is that adding HWH air to a coach without it is roughly $10K to do.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #54

How many people are driving RVs who shouldn't be driving RVs? There was a previous post about people's reaction times slowing down in regards to a blow out.

I work for an RV dealer and we have a large pool of commercial drivers to move RVs. We are retirees of various backgrounds but one thing in common is we have had in-house training before we're let out on our own in a 45' DP. Most of us also own RV's. We keep an eye on each other and can tell when one of us should maybe give it up.

I'm still amazed that people with zero RV driving experience are allowed to buy some of these monsters with no more experience than a test drive. Here in AZ, as in most states, no special licensing is required to pull a 40 foot 5th wheel or drive a 45 foot DP. Anyone else think these new owners are an accident waiting to happen?

So my point is we have people with little experience and/or slowing reaction times driving RVs down our highways and when an emergency happens, blowout, will they be able to handle it?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #55

Owner

Now that you have new tires go one more step and add a pair of Steer Safe Steering Stablizers and you will be able to hold it in the road if you have a flat or blowout at any speed also helps when a truck passes or in a strong wind.
gaylonharden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #56

Is there supposed to be a link on the first post? I don't see one...

erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote