Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Tire blowout

Yep, a blown tire. This type of event is very scary, wish there were more details like how old the tire were etc.

Fatality, due to blown tire

Saw this on another site and thought about this life might have been saved if they had the new Retrobands installed. Most talk about cost, but how do you put a price on your life.
Just a FYI for the Entegra family.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We have tyron bands. Probably not as good as the new Retrobands, but better than nothing.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good heads up J.H.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

A blown tire shouldn't be a life threatening event if the driver knows how to handle the situation.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
From postings and news reports it seems that most blowouts that lead to an accident are catastrophic blowouts. I have Tyron’s and will consider Retrobands in the future. Every situation is unique and even the best driver could be caught off guard.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
A blown tire shouldn't be a life threatening event if the driver knows how to handle the situation.
Knowing how, which I do "in theory, but never practiced," and executing in that moment, which could have all kinds of factors (environmental, distraction, etc.) in play, are two different things.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post

I had a front tire blowout on my truck pulling a fifth wheel, and there is a lot of luck involved besides skill. I had both hands on the steering wheel and was slowing down, cause I knew something was wrong. I had even told the wife to get the cat back in her cage, when all hell broke loose. The truck swerved into the left lane and felt like the camper left side wheels lifted off the ground from the hard swerve that I couldn't hold back. If a vehicle had been alongside me in the left lane or on a 2 lane with oncoming traffic, there would have been a different out come for sure.
Retrobands may sound like a good idea, but you can't possibly protect yourself from all risk, no matter how much you spend or prepare.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #8

I guess it all depends on the situation. I had a blowout on a Pulp truck that I owned years ago while grossing 21'000 lbs on the front axle and had no problem controlling it to get it stopped. There was nothing left of the Michelin tire but a few strips of wire ,the tire was completely shredded and the steel wheel was destroyed. I was traveling about 60 mph at the time and I was able to keep control because my power steering did not fail me. My brother in law had the same situation a year os so later after I sold him the truck and the driver barely crawled out of the truck alive because he lost his power steering and therefore could not control the truck resulting in the truck flipping end over end after hitting a big embankment. The truck was totaled. As I said at the beginning it all. depends on the situation.
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #9

There is a lot to be said about maintaining the proper air pressure in your tires. I think a lot of folks also fail to recognize they should also keep check on tire temps. I think having an additional control protector is also a good idea. I have the Tyron's and am comfortable with the reviews and the product. I intend on continue using them unless a better product time tested becomes available. And lastly, it is not a good idea to squeeze every last year and mile of any tire. My current tires just turned 50,000 and will be approaching 5 years. I will be replacing all them very soon. While it does not guarantee against a tire failure it reduces the risk. Am I spending needlessly? Maybe so but it's better odds than I can get on a dice table.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Just my opinion. Having driven long hauls in another life (collage summer job) and driving a 45ft MH today, I am older and wiser. I know for a fact my reflexes have slowed down. Back in my other life I wouldn't worry about a blow out at all, my arms were big enough to handle line backers, today I will be adding the Retrobands to compensate for what the years have taken away. I have the driving experience, but do I have the reflexes and body strength?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #11

Chuck

Points well taken and an issue for most of us. Thankfully, I have never had to deal with a front tire blow out and hope that I never have the opportunity to learn, however, body strength is certainly something that diminishes with age. I try to handle it by having both hands on the wheel 97% of the time and my hands are always clutching the wheel pretty tightly.... which is why I have to "pry my fingers" off the steering wheel every so often. My wife wonders what I am doing, but I really grip the wheel when I drive and am gripping with both hands, so after an hour or two or 8, the fingers just sort of get locked into that gripping position.

I am always amazed when I happen to get a glance at many of the semi drivers that are passing me and many of them have their hands casually laying on the steering wheel, maybe one hand only. That would be nice, but that is not the way I was taught to drive. I was taught to drive (by my first employer) with both hands solidly on the steering wheel all / much of the time. Whether that would really let me manhandle the coach in a sudden blow out situation, I hope that I never get the chance to learn. (Interesting that your semi driving experience was identical to mine.... I started road driving as a summer job after college and before graduate school.... only difference is that I kept it up for 5 or 6 years when I wasn't going to classes).

I was never all that impressed with the logic of the Tyron bands, so I didn't get them. However, I understand the logic of the Retrobands and those make perfect sense to me. I'd like to see some more video of real world tests of that system, but that is likely to be a fairly high probability purchase for me in the next year....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I did a DuckDuckGo search on retrobands and could not find anything.

Where would I find more information on them ?

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #13

The exclusive NA dealer is NIRVC. Call any of their locations and I think you will get all the information.

The retrobands are made in Australia (I think) and then sold through NIRVC's locations.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I did a DuckDuckGo search on retrobands and could not find anything.

Where would I find more information on them ?

Try this site, I haven't checked it out fully but at a glance I didn't see prices listed.http://www.tyron-usa.com/