Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tire comparison - Michelin vs Yokohama

I've had 3 motorhomes, 1 gas and 2 diesel. All 3 had Yokohama tires until very recently. The Yokohama tires all performed very well with no problems. I recently had the front wheels aligned on our Anthem and discovered I had wear on the front tires and it was recommended that I replace the front tires. We had heard so much written about the superior ride of Michelins I decided to use the FMCA discount and try them.

I became weary of being told how much I'd like them and that I'd have the other 6 changed as well. Well, they were right!!!!!!!!!!! It's like riding on pillows compared to the Yokos'. Now in reality, I don't imagine the Michelins will last as long as they are much softer than the Yokos' but the coach and my DW thinks they are great - so thank you all who recommended the tires.

The difference is night and day!!!!!!!!!!!

YMMV

John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. Coopers must be great then. Class C, may be a different animal, but had my four year old cracked Michelins change to Coopers and absolutely no noticeable difference in the ride.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Michelins are the only tires that I will trust my family's life ON. And every RV needs a tire monitoring systems and TST is my choice. I have owned others that were a waste of money.
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #4

Great... glad u bought the best... I also wouldn’t consider any other brand..

These tire debates come up often.. just do know why with Michelin’s proving over and over there the quietest, smoothest
Tires money can buy...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
A quick tire-monitoring story: picked up our 2017 Anthem from the dealer, did the PDI and the guy gave me the proper tire pressures on the walk-around. We were taking it on a 300 mile drive the next day. I was debating whether to bother with the hassle of putting the TST monitors on (2 new ones for the tag, plus all the axles had new pressures) and the DW said "I'm not going to be ready to leave for another hour anyway, so why not just get the programming over with?" I reluctantly re-programmed the TST and got 'em all installed.

Front two tires: both were 30 lbs low. The rest were right on the money. Almost drove 300 miles on substantially under-pressured tires.
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:51 AM   #6

Tire psig should be added to every PDI for any RV

When we picked up our new coach the tires were all low and due to being a tag and lightly loaded it wasn't visible

We were so busy with learning all the new features and controls that the tires were overlooked and no monitoring system at that time

So per the other post check them
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #7

In keeping with the thread my Michelin tires ride, drive and have held up very well for the past 5 years
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Our 2020 Cornerstone came with tire monitoring. And it is great now that NIRVC got the TEMP. & Pressures reset but I still use my TST system on our tow car or truck.
Anthem46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkiii View Post
I've had 3 motorhomes, 1 gas and 2 diesel. All 3 had Yokohama tires until very recently. The Yokohama tires all performed very well with no problems. I recently had the front wheels aligned on our Anthem and discovered I had wear on the front tires and it was recommended that I replace the front tires. We had heard so much written about the superior ride of Michelins I decided to use the FMCA discount and try them.

I became weary of being told how much I'd like them and that I'd have the other 6 changed as well. Well, they were right!!!!!!!!!!! It's like riding on pillows compared to the Yokos'. Now in reality, I don't imagine the Michelins will last as long as they are much softer than the Yokos' but the coach and my DW thinks they are great - so thank you all who recommended the tires.

The difference is night and day!!!!!!!!!!!

YMMV

John
John, I’m not doubting or disputing your assessment in any way, but will offer the following:

I’ve purchased lots of replacement tires over the years – cars, motorhomes, boat trailers, etc. Something I’ve come to realize is that anytime you replace old tires with new tires, the new tires feel better.

Some of it may be psychological – I spent all this money on new tires, so I want to believe they ride better.

Some of it may be that the old tires were, well, old; whereas the new tire are relatively fresh out of the mold. You know, soft, supple, all that good stuff.

And some of it may be that the brand of the new tire really is better than the brand of the old tire; or even that the current model of the same brand is better than the older model of the same brand.

The only way to be certain would be to conduct test drives of different brands of new tires on the same vehicle, with the driver not being aware of which brand was which. Kind of an expensive way to choose tires for a big Class A motorhome!

In the interest of full disclosure, I’m a big fan of Michelin tires and haven’t run any other brand on any of our vehicles for quite a number of years.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #10

I’m putting 6 new Michelin XZA2s on the rear of my coach on Monday. Factory Goodyear’s are date stamped 2015 and in my opinion are aged out. New Michelin steers in November seem to be performing well and want to have a matching Brand at all positions. Yes a bit more $ vs the competition, but IMHO well worth it.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:17 PM   #11

LWBAZ, Your spot on. I was in the tire business for 10 years. As an alignment tech I would test drive the vehicle before and after to assess if the vehicle had any alignment issues before I started. The new tires always made a difference in the ride.
P.S. we sold three different brands of tires. Any of the three brands we sold made the vehicle ride and handle better.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #12

Michelin vs. Yokohama

just discovered my four rear (Michelin tires) were chunking out at only 19K miles and they are dated out as 2015 dated. Replaced with Yokohama and am willing to sacrifice a little ride difference (if any) with the harder rubber and deeper treads.

Tags
comparison, michelin