Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Tire inflation question

Yes, another tire inflation question

I'm about to travel from the "frozen tundra" of the midwest to Hilton Head. I've brought the coach home from my normal heated storage location but now my beautiful Entegra is sitting outside in upper 30 degree weather as we pack it up. The question is what to do with tire inflation before going. Should I inflate for the cold weather and adjust as I head south? I'm also about to install an EEZRV TPMS system, so I'll be able to monitor pressure and temperature as I head south.

This entire subject of fluctuating pressure and ambient temperature strikes me as a bit confusing. I know the pressures will rise as I drive, but I'll be cold to cool air through mid day Friday.

Any help would be appreciated - or even pointing to a previous thread that covered this.
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Air up at current temperature. Adjust air pressure in the morning as you head to warmer temps. Usually it will only be a couple of pounds.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

rvguy02-

There are simple answers and complicated ones. I'll stick with a simple one.

Inflate your tire to their correct pressures before you leave home. Before each leg of the trip, check your air pressures and adjust them down or up as needed to keep them at the correct pressures. If you are moving into warmer areas, you'll bleed off a little pressure each time. Do the same coming home; if the temperature goes down significantly, you'll be adding air.

This assumes you know what "correct pressures" are, that you know about how far off "correct" is OK before having to adjust them, that your coach weight and weight distribution doesn't change much, etc., etc. etc.- all those things that create complicated answers.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #4

This is not that complicated a situation. Once you get your TPMS, you are going to realize how much your tires heat up under any set of circumstances as you drive down the road. Also, you will see surprising differences in tire pressure between the tires that are in the sun all day as you drive and those that are in the shade.

Fill the tires to the pressure that you are supposed to carry (cold). Then drive for the day. If you have gone from below zero to 90 degrees you will need to adjust the tires. You do not need to stop multiple times to deal with pressure..... you don't do that with your cars and you don't need to do it with your rig. I have to add air a couple of times in the fall and early winter for both my coach and my cars, and let off some pressure in the spring as winter transitions into summer. Then, relax !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

I will also add that most of the time we ride with to much pressure in the tire. I jsut got back from a trip to Spartan where they weight every wheel and set the pressures accordingly. I was really surprised at what they set the steers to (85psi).
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

I really like the TPS, I set the high limit on the upper side to take into consideration the warm up. If I do not, I always get false alarms on the upper end.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A TPMS is a must tool to have, IMO. Always check tire pressure cold and make certain the sun is not shining on the tires when you charge them. It will throw your readings way off.

I was in the cold mountains recently and as the days travel went on I got into much warmer air. My TPMS sounded an alarm and my 110psi cold tires were now over136psi... All of them. This is my alarm high limit. I stopped and let 5psi out of each tire. No more false alarms.

What I did is considered a mortal sin by most. But the truth of the matter is that the air in the tires is not as dry as it should be. As it heats, from rolling, ambient temperature rising and sun, the air expands more than the theoretical amount posted by most of the tire experts.

The TPMS is only a tool. When you set your tires with a good, calibrated, tire gauge the TPMS will most likely disagree with you within a pound or two. That is OK. You simply want to monitor your tires for any extreme differences among them as you drive.

Don't get paranoid about your tires. Simply use the good practices of frequent visual inspections and cold psi checks even when parked for an extended period of time.

Happy and safe trails,
Rick Y
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I think it's easy to make this more complicated than it really is. Courtesy of your responses I feel much better! We leave tomorrow night, temps will be cold, and I'll inflate accordingly.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikold View Post
I will also add that most of the time we ride with to much pressure in the tire. I jsut got back from a trip to Spartan where they weight every wheel and set the pressures accordingly. I was really surprised at what they set the steers to (85psi).
I did that in the past and finally stopped after too many rough rides. It was "safer" to add a bit of extra inflation (or so I had been told) and then decided to do my own research. Spartan also helped with inflation levels and weights when I was in for a radiator replacement a couple of months ago... Keeping my hopes up that I got one of the "new" radiators that's been properly designed. My Aspire is a 2012 and started its radiator leak in December 2015... So far so good...
Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Well, not a mortal sin, but I think it is a mistake to let air out of your tires just because your TPMS is squawking. Reset the TPMS higher instead. The primary reasons for TPMS are: (1) to alert you to a blowout, particularly on the towed vehicle which would likely otherwise go unnoticed until much damage is done. (2) to alert you to low tire pressure. This can lead to excessive sidewall flexing, overheating and tire blowout. (3) To alert you to a tire that is significantly different in pressure or temperature from the other tires on that axle. This could indicate brake dragging, bad bearings, or the like. But if your tires are heating up evenly across the board, this is totally normal and expected. Reducing the pressure risks tire damage from the causes listed in (1) above. Also, be aware that it is normal for the tires on the sunny side of the coach to run 5 or even 10 PSI higher due to solar heating. Do not reduce pressure for this reason or any other reason unless the high pressure/temp is on only one tire. Then, you should investigate why. Don't just drop the pressure.

Any tire company's literature will say the same thing: tire pressures should only be set when the tires are cold. The temperature and pressure increase that takes place during travel is normal, necessary, and should not prompt any adjustment on your part.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

Ikold

Is that 85# on the steers of an Entegra coach? Checked your information and cant see your coach. I assume you are running something smaller than a 45' Entegra of any model, right?

Gary
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The key rule is never drive on under inflated tires. the only reason you weigh your coach is to see if you can get away with a lower presure for a softer ride.

If I drive to a colder climate, I don't mess with the presure....they will just be a little higher than minimum. unless I will be drining around there for a long time , then i might adjust them.

Dan
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikold View Post
If you're running 85 psi in the steer tires on an ENTEGRA you're way under inflated. Even completely unloaded they would require more than 85 psi.
Closer to 110-120. You definitely need to add more air before you ruin the tires or worse. I don't know what chart was looking at, but it was obviously the wrong one. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

Ikold

I see in another thread that you say you own a 14 Cornerstone, and then in this thread, you say Spartan told you to run 85# on your steers. I am absolutely sure that that information is not correct and if you actually have your steers at 85#, you need to get that issue changed quickly.

I could conceivably see that kind of weight being maybe correct on the 4 drive tires or on the 2 tag axle tires, but there is no way that can be right on the steers. Maybe you said steers when you meant tag or drive.

I would guess that 4-corner weighing of your coach is going to tell you that your steers need to be somewhere in the 115# to 130# range at all times. There are lots of Cornerstone owners on here who can give you the right steer pressures.

Gary