Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Tire Pressure

So, established proper air pressure needed for tires have pressure monitoring on all tires. My question is where do you set the high-end of the monitors? And does it make a difference whether you’re driving in the Northeast or the south west? The tires obviously expand different in The south west in the summer time than they do in the Northeast. So, how do they really gauge how to set your tires when they don’t know the outside temperature? Where should you set your Air monitors to warn you if you have an issue on the high side?
mcquone76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

McQuone

What TPMS are you using? What specific parameter are you trying to establish?

As long as you are at it, ALWAYS tell us what coach you own, the model, and the year. That will help a lot.

I just checked your personal details on your listing and I see that it is an Entegra Aspire. Still, the year and what system you are talking about would be a great help.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
On my system, manufacturer had suggested percentages over your cold tire pressure. Cold tire pressure is cold tire pressure. Doesn’t matter where you are. In theory, you should adjust tire pressures every time you have a substantial change in ambient temperature.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Not knowing what brand you are working with....mine was an EEZE RV. The instruction with it were very good. Following the instruction, I did not have a problem going from northern temperatures to Florida temperatures, the leeway was plenty wide.
However the factory installed TPMS in the 19's I can't say the same for.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 AM   #5

Sorry 2018 Aspire EEZE tire pressure monitor. Based on the weight of my coach supposed to have 120 psi in the front and they say 75 in the back that seems low to me. The people I bought a code from ( MHSRV) installed the monitoring system.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquone76 View Post
Sorry 2018 Aspire EEZE tire pressure monitor. Based on the weight of my coach supposed to have 120 psi in the front and they say 75 in the back that seems low to me. The people I bought a code from ( MHSRV) installed the monitoring system.

The chart says 75 but Best to not have too low pressure to prevent sidewall flexing, so 85 is recommended minimum.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Spartan recommends 80psi or higher on the rear wheels. 75psi is to light and the walls can flex. There are many post that can be found here on safe tire pressures.

I hope MHSRV gave you the instructions with your unit. I would raise the tire pressure to 80 PSI and reset the unit.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #8

Asking for advice is a good idea, but you should also consult the Michelin tire tables. Michelin publishes tables every year (maybe more often) that list all their tires and their maximum and minimum tire pressures. They also list the recommended pressure given your load (how much weight) each of your tires are carrying. That is the real issue. LOAD is the most important issue, especially for your steer tires since their maximum weight is often fairly close to the design maximum of your front axle, and of course, a front tire blow out is all of our worst fears.

Your tires need to be inflated to the proper load for the weight they are carrying. The ideal/best way to find that out is to get your coach 4-corner weighed. That really means determining the weight on each tire position (left steer, right steer, left drive pair, right drive pair, left tag, right tag) and those weights are supposed to be your weights when you are fully loaded for travel. Now, axle weights get you close and can be done at most highway department scales (when they are not busy) or CAT scales (but it is more difficult), but the real way to do that is to get your coach fully loaded for travel (your typical configuration) and then go somewhere they can set out scales and measures the weight at each tire position. (MHSRV used to not have scales, Now?? National Indoor in Lewisville, TX can do it). Now, your drive tires (4 total) have a lot more load bearing capability than the steers, so your weights would probably justify 75# or so in each tire, but that is below the recommended tire pressure by Michelin for your drive tires (the reason that everyone is saying inflate higher, but consult the table so YOU know why).

Now that you know the weight each tire carries, then you can set the pressures.

There are rules of thumb. However, you should NEVER go below Michelin's recommended tire pressure. Coaches below the Cornerstone used to run 315s on the front and 295 all the rest. Cornerstones run 365 on the steers and 315 on all the rest. It seems to me I read that the new 2019 Anthems may now be running 365s on the front like the Cornerstone. Figure out your tires, then your weight, and then set your pressures from there. Dont set them too high (the easiest thing to do) as you will diminish your ride.

Once you get all of that done, then set your parameters on your TPMS to match what you have set up on the coach. You'll need the manual. If you dont have it, you should find it on the web.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
My TST system recommends high and low settings be 20% over for high and 10% under for low. For instance in my fronts (315s) I carry 122 so my upper alarm limit is set to 145 and lower to 109. During a typical day my fronts go up to the low to mid 130s while the rears go up to the low 90s. Other TPMS brand alarm settings have to be about the same or the numbers won't make sense.

Most of the heat put into the tires will come from road friction as you drive, not from the ambient air so don't spend a lot of time chasing cold tire pressures. As a rule of thumb, each 10 degree drop in ambient temperature will cause a pressure decrease of about 2 psi. I try to only change my tire pressures when ambient is around 70.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Just got this from the Michelin class at Homecoming...Max temp no higher than ambient plus 60, and never more than 195. I've never seen anything close to those numbers.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Spartan recommends 80psi or higher on the rear wheels.
Actually, during our Spartan training class, Big Mike recommend that the rear tires do not go below 85psi. His reason for this was that you risk the chance of breaking the bead of the tire below this pressure......Just Say’n

Our rear tires are set at 85psi, and no lower, based on our weight and the Michelin tire chart.
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a TST and have been very happy with it. I set the pressures using a reliable tire gauge. The TST usually reads 2-3 PSI below what ever I set (not sure how the EEZE system reads). This gives a little more flex before I hit the 20% over the pressure alarm.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #13

Not sure I understand that..... are you saying if it’s 70 Degrees outside your tire pressure should not exceed 130?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Not sure I understand that..... are you saying if it’s 70 Degrees outside your tire pressure should not exceed 130?
Your cold tire pressure shouldn’t be more than the max tire pressure shown on the tire placard in your coach. If that says 130 then yes it shouldn’t be more than 130. However, as the tire heats the pressure will go above 130.

Your actual cold setting for each tire should ultimately be based on the weight determined by 4-corner weighing your coach and then getting the pressure from the tire manufacturer’s pressure charts.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure