Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn, for your next set, several on Amazon for under $10. for a package of 10.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...s%2Ck%3Acr1632
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Chuck - we just spent $6.42 for each one at Walgreens!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Al,

Does TST have a new design so that their system works consistently with a valve extension on the inner dual? I had to take my extension off due to inconsistent readings.

I found the problem to be with the extensions themselves rather than any of the sensors. I went to a truck tire shop at a large Loves truck stop and they showed me all the ones they had. I found a big difference in how soon the schraeder valve stem in the extension pressed the schraeder stem in the actual valve stem. I just sorted thru until I found the ones with the longer schraeder valve extension on the female end. Look at a few different ones and you will see what I mean. The problem isn't so much with the sensors as much as how far you (can) screw them on if the extension schraeder and how far it depresses the stem on the far end. Take a sensor with you and you can screw it onto various extensions and see the difference. All mine seem to work fine with the new extensions I picked out.

The other thing is the valve stem on the inner dual is what went bad on my wheel. The rubber grommets or washers that seal the valve stem that screws into the hole in the wheel with a nut inside. The rubber degraded so the stem would leak as speed built up and centrifugal force moved the stem. That was what I thought at first were erroneous readings but they were cured with new valve stems on the inner wheels. I was surprised a 2013 inner wheel valve stem would have degraded this quickly but it had. I also tried the extensions I had found on the replacement valve stems before installing them.

Hate to belabor this but it is important to know the inner wheel on the duals is a standard steel wheel with completely different valve stems than those used on the aluminum wheels so what works on one might not work on the other.

I did find two sensors that were out of range on the fronts when the fronts were 125 cold and then climbed to 150 when hot. Normal situation but the sensors did not have enough range to reach 150 PSI. TST immediately sent me two new sensors overnight that solved the problem and I think all their new sensors will go that high as I swapped some around and they worked OK.

I hate to admit how anal I have been trying to get the system bullet proof but it seems that way now. Every trip was a TPSM test run! The only actual TST problems were the out of range sensors which I do not think is an issue with their sensors anymore. most all the problems related back to the stems and extensions and various combinations there-of.

I had random problems with one tire that intermittently would give erroneous readings. I discovered the scraeder valve was the cause as the tip of the scraeder stem was malformed and had no "head" on it. It disappeared inside the little tip of the sensor when I screwed it down instead of depressing the stem.. At the moment in a rest area stop I removed the scraeder and medievally mangled the end of the little pintle so the sensor would depress it when screwed down. Problem solved. Next stop, new schraeder valve.

I honestly changed so many parts I can't remember all the issues that prevented it from working correctly but once I lived and learned with it I really like the TST system and would get another one as most all of the issues could happen with any of the systems from what I've seen.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Thanks Chuck - we just spent $6.42 for each one at Walgreens!
I can't take the credit, someone else posted the Amazon tip when I was researching TPMS.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
It's official - I should have never blamed Tire Minder for the problems - it was all operator error (me). New batteries in every "minder" and air in the Ram's tires and my red light has stopped blinking and chiming.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
I found the problem to be with the extensions themselves rather than any of the sensors. I went to a truck tire shop at a large Loves truck stop and they showed me all the ones they had. I found a big difference in how soon the schraeder valve stem in the extension pressed the schraeder stem in the actual valve stem. I just sorted thru until I found the ones with the longer schraeder valve extension on the female end. Look at a few different ones and you will see what I mean. The problem isn't so much with the sensors as much as how far you (can) screw them on if the extension schraeder and how far it depresses the stem on the far end. Take a sensor with you and you can screw it onto various extensions and see the difference. All mine seem to work fine with the new extensions I picked out.

The other thing is the valve stem on the inner dual is what went bad on my wheel. The rubber grommets or washers that seal the valve stem that screws into the hole in the wheel with a nut inside. The rubber degraded so the stem would leak as speed built up and centrifugal force moved the stem. That was what I thought at first were erroneous readings but they were cured with new valve stems on the inner wheels. I was surprised a 2013 inner wheel valve stem would have degraded this quickly but it had. I also tried the extensions I had found on the replacement valve stems before installing them.

Hate to belabor this but it is important to know the inner wheel on the duals is a standard steel wheel with completely different valve stems than those used on the aluminum wheels so what works on one might not work on the other.

I did find two sensors that were out of range on the fronts when the fronts were 125 cold and then climbed to 150 when hot. Normal situation but the sensors did not have enough range to reach 150 PSI. TST immediately sent me two new sensors overnight that solved the problem and I think all their new sensors will go that high as I swapped some around and they worked OK.

I hate to admit how anal I have been trying to get the system bullet proof but it seems that way now. Every trip was a TPSM test run! The only actual TST problems were the out of range sensors which I do not think is an issue with their sensors anymore. most all the problems related back to the stems and extensions and various combinations there-of.

I had random problems with one tire that intermittently would give erroneous readings. I discovered the scraeder valve was the cause as the tip of the scraeder stem was malformed and had no "head" on it. It disappeared inside the little tip of the sensor when I screwed it down instead of depressing the stem.. At the moment in a rest area stop I removed the scraeder and medievally mangled the end of the little pintle so the sensor would depress it when screwed down. Problem solved. Next stop, new schraeder valve.

I honestly changed so many parts I can't remember all the issues that prevented it from working correctly but once I lived and learned with it I really like the TST system and would get another one as most all of the issues could happen with any of the systems from what I've seen.
Thanks Al, the contact with the schraeder valve on the extension makes sense.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Too bad it's the extensions. Yes, they're a lot cheaper than a new sensor, but that means I have to go find a truck stop (none near me) and physically poke around to try to find an extension that will work. I have not been using my TST system because the inner tires won't read.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Too bad it's the extensions. Yes, they're a lot cheaper than a new sensor, but that means I have to go find a truck stop (none near me) and physically poke around to try to find an extension that will work. I have not been using my TST system because the inner tires won't read.
I run the TST system without false alarms. I removed the extenders the factory installed on my inners and the TST flow thrus are screwed that the stem. The distance they are extend is nearly perfect.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
There must be a truck tire dealer nearby! Many auto supply stores stock some valve stem items so maybe you can find some there.

There is a work-a-round that will correct the issue with the extensions and allow the sensors/system to work. Put the extensions on and tighten. You do need to tighten them securely but don't be too medieval or you can damage the tire's valve stem itself.

Unscrew the schraeder valve on the extension about 1 turn until it leaks noticeably. Screw the sensor on and tighten it. That will stop the "leak" from the loosened valve stem and the sensor will always read pressure.

This sounds scary but if you think about it this is the situation on every valve stem with an aftermarket TPMS on it. All of the sensors depress the valve stem when you install the sensor so that the sensor can see the tire air pressure. The only thing sealing the air in the tire is the sensor in all of the applications so loosening the stem "ahead of time" to make sure it is releasing pressure to the sensor is not really a functional issue but you do have to think your way past it....
Old 05-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #38

That's very interesting. It is certainly true that there is no difference between a tight valve that is pushed open and a loose one, as long as the external TPMS sensor is attached. When I get to the RV this weekend I'll give that a shot. Have to go up on the roof and replace the bath fan gearbox.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #39

Loosening the schraeder does work very well. I used this approach to find some of the problems I was having with random "no" readings and inconsistent readings. You may have to go so far with the extensions as to loosen the shraeder on the inner tire valve stem itself before installing the extension if the extension has a short thread or short stem on the female end.

This is actually how I positively identified the root cause being the extensions.

Several months later the problems started again with the same inner dual and this time it was the valve stem at the wheel. I started to brush off the TPMS warning when I had an actual low inner tire because of all the earlier times it had cried wolf but fortunately my OCD took over and I stopped and checked the tire with a gauge and found it really was very low!

Once I got all the problems sorted out I am VERY happy with the TST operation and hardware but there are some pitfalls to be aware of that apply to any anda ll TPS brands.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
+2. Another satisfied user of EEZRV system. 2+years with NO issues or false readings, and still using the batteries that came with the system. I am going to add the toad to the system this year, buying 4 additional senders.

I had a Pressure Pro system on a previous fifth wheel and always had issues with either dropping the signal or false readings. The other great thing on the EEZ system is super easy setup and a great easy to read display.

Highly recommend it
OK.... You guys sold me on the EEZRV system. Just ordered a 12 sensor system with repeater. Thanks for the information!
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Well, mine won't read but one tire again. I've about given up. I'll just check them with an old fashioned tire gauge prior to leaving and hope for the best.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #42

In the beginning, the right inner dual of my Volvo tractor had a problem being read. I moved the monitor around and found that if the monitor was in the left drivers window, all the tires could be sensed. Apparently the steel structure of the Volvo cab and the heavy chassis components blocked the right inner dual.

Not wanting a monitor in the window, I added an external antenna to just being the Volvo cab. In that location I could pick all the truck sensors and the trailer sensors.

When we added a toad behind the trailer, we also added a Repeater near the end of the trailer.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure