Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
The one thing that Spartan said that did surprised me. They said don't chase pressures. If its cool in the morning and the pressures are below your calculated amount, but you are sure they will be fine as the air temp warms up, don't change them.

In the past I was told that we should never drive below calculated psi. Even if you know that a couple miles down the road they will be to pressure. I was really surprised that they said it was fine to drive below the calculated pressures.

The only time they suggested changing the pressure was if you moved somewhere were the temps will be cooler for a couple of days or more.

Steve
You know, I understand this idea but I’ve had a front blowout at high speed (In my old Monaco), it frightened me and my family and caused a lot of damage so I’m paranoid and I do adjust my tires every few days to do as much as I humanly can to prevent that again. If it happens again, it is God’s will not my own neglect.

For 25 years I flew ejection seat fighter airplanes. I never planned on bailing out but I always checked my seat and my parachute......just in case, you know.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
A thought...... Has any one of you ever seen a trucker adding or dropping pressures in their trailer or drive axles????? Not me. And sometimes the drives and trailer are taking 70,000 pounds of load and at times, the trailer is empty and they are taking virtually nothing on their tires.

Have your coach 4 corner weighed when you are fully loaded for travel, set your pressures based on those weights, and stop worrying. Now, if I was moving from Baffin Bay to Naples FL in January, I would be worried and adjusting.....

Now, you will see them weighing their rigs and what they are doing is sliding their rear axles on the trailer forward or backwards to adjust their weights, on the drives and on the trailer tires, but they are not adding and subtracting tire pressures. All tires are going to heat during the day or when they are in the sun and even the right front of the toad is going to run much hotter (and show clearly higher psi) just due to its proximity to the Cummins exhaust on my rig.

Gary

Gary I agree with your comments but would point out most truckers run their tires at MAX cold air pressure because their primary concern is maximum weight carrying capacity. It was always our protocol with all of our trucks.
Many of us are attempting to have maximum ride comfort first and capacity second and that becomes complicated.
IMHO more owners need to accept we are driving glorified truck chassis and not luxury cars and weight should be the primary concern.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #31

Brian

I agree with every word that you said..... every word. We set our tires for our maximum likely load, and then drive and have fun. These coaches are not a lot more than a fancy box sitting on a straight truck/van frame and this 45,000 box is going to pound when going over bridge transitions, and thump over temporary road repairs, and occasionally not sound or ride like a Cadillac, or even my F-150 Lariat. Be vigilant about tire problems (rising temps, falling pressures, etc etc and forget adding and subtracting 5# of pressure) with a good TPMS system and keep your hands on the wheel and have fun. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
So what is the point of this post?

Keith
kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Cat Scales for Dummies

I want to get 4 corner weights. I was fueling next to the scale and asked a driver how to do it. he said ask inside. I asked the Cat manager, she said she had no idea.

Can someone please describe HOW to get these weights?

Thanks,

Meredith
2016 Anthem RBQ
Meredith410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Meredith410, you can not get the corner weights from the Cat Scale only your axle weights.
I see a lot of air pressures, this is based on what weight? I have the weight of each axle, but can not locate a local place to give me my corner weights. Would it be possible to post what your weight is along with what tire pressure you are running. Are direct me to a pasted post with this info. Thanks!
Oldguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #35

On our 16 Anthem 44B we run 118 in the front and 85 in the rear and tag. I think you will find most everyone in this range. Spartan can do a 4 corner weight and so can NIRVC. If you do it be sure to are loaded with fuel and the coach is packed like you normally do. I always had my fresh water tanks full but my black and gray tanks empty.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #36

Thumbs up

These have been published before and of course they differ somewhat for every coach and for every model. My 4 corner weights were done fully loaded for a 3 month trip so they are what we would consider good for most of the time. You can get 4 corner weights done at any FMCA rally by a team of tire safety people who are almost always there, and you can get it done at NiRVC and many big dealers. It is possible at some big truck scales with lots of room on both sides which are perfectly flat so the coach stays flat when you make individual tire position weights, but it is very difficult. So the best places are where motorhomes congregate. Also, the ratings are specific to the specific tire manufacturer and tire model on your coach.

This is done with full diesel tank, and full water and half full sewer and gray tanks, and done with pilot and copilot seated in normal seats. The axle ratings are specific to my model (Anthem) and year of production (2015). Different years and different models will have different axle ratings

My data show that I am over the tire ratings on the driver side steer tire position by 140# and below to well below at all other tire positions. This overage is common in this year of Anthem as the heavy battery bank is located immediately behind the front driver side tire position.

My coach 2015 Anthem

Axle rated load 17,000 # total load
Driver side steer tire ratings 8,500 # (overloaded)
driver side steer tire weight 8,640 # actual weight
Tire pressure 125# psi inflation

Passenger side steer tire ratings 8,500 #
Pass. side steer tire weight 8,060 # actual weight
Tire pressure 125# psi inflation

Axle rated load 20,000 # total load
Driver drive tire ratings 10,000 #
driver drive tire weight 9,180 # actual weight
Tire pressure 85# psi inflation

Pass. drive tire ratings 10,000 #
Pass. drive tire weight 9,740 # actual weight
Tire pressure 85# psi nflation

Axle rated load 12,000 # total load
Driver tag tire ratings 6,000 #
driver tag tire weight 4,620 # actual weight

Pass. tag tire ratings 6,000 #
Pass. tag tire weight 3,900 # actual weight

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #37

Tire pressures

The coach was full of fuel and fresh water, holding tanks empty, 2 people and coach fully loaded, food, clothes etc for a 4 month trip. Mine was weighed at NIRVCin Lewisville and the weights and pressure per Michelin chart are:

Corner weights

Front left -------8400
Front right. -----8220
Steer total-------16620---100 psi

Drive left ---------8920
Drive right--------8720
Drive total--------17680----85 psi

Tag left-------------5940
Tag right. -----------5660
Tag total -----------_11600-----85 psi

Total weight --------45900
Old 10-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Ann n Gene, your front and drive axle weights seem to demand higher air pressure. The chart I have for you Michelin (front tires) shows 120-psi for 8270-lbs; and 125-psi for 8810-lbs. If I were you, I'd run it at 120-125-psi. Not knowing what tires you run because your profile shows both an Anthem and a CS, but your drive axle weights seem to require a lot more pressure than what you are using. If your drive axle runs 295/80R/22.5, then your weight is off the charts. If you're running 315/80R/22.5, then you are near the top requiring 125-psi on your drive axle. Sorry if I'm not understanding something. I've been known to be wrong, but I believe what I just told you to be correct. I'm using the Michelin Inflation Charts the I received at the Spartan Entegra Training Class in Charlotte. Have a great day.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #39

Not according to the Michelin chart that I downloaded. I have 365s on front and 315s on drive. Shows 17020 capacity on steer at 105, and I usually run about 110 now. The 315 duals can carry 23360 at 85 psi. Looks like I am well in the range for the load the way I am reading the charts. Got the chart here; http://www.michelintruck.com/referen...tion-tables/#/
Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
My apologies. We have 315s on the front and 295s on the drive and tag. I had no idea what you drive or size of tires. I assume it's a CS. Thanks for the additional info. God bless.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #41

Yep it's a Cornerstone, sorry, it's in my signature but it doesn't show up on phones. Should have put it in the post, my bad.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Yep it's a Cornerstone, sorry, it's in my signature but it doesn't show up on phones. Should have put it in the post, my bad.
Your profile is a one-touch access on phones...and it says Anthem...and then your sig says Cornerstone.

Tags
tire pressure