Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tire Pressures - Oh No, Not Another One

I know, I know, enough already; just use the search button.

Anyways, after hours of reading threads on setting correct tire pressures, and being scared into submission, I finally drug the wife, and the coach, out to our local CAT Scales to see what the beast weighs.

Since this is our first Class A and never being on a scale before, this was quite the experience. First off, I think I scared the poor girl inside explaining how I wanted to have two separate weights done, one with me fully on the scale, and one with only half the coach on the scale; her response after a ten minute discussion, go for it.

Off we go. After navigating the parking lot and lining ourselves up with the on ramp, I noticed those poles that most people talk about that certainly would not allow me to have a side off the scale. So much for the well planned and discussed second measurement, oh well, will have to get the four corners done down the road somewhere soon.

So, I tossed the wife out the door to make sure we were straddling the third scale between the drive and tag axle so we had all three weights. Of course, I thought she totally understood what we were doing, guess not. So after a few minutes of training on both our parts, she of course was right in the end, we had the coach aligned properly and pushed the button to talk to the young girl. Her first question that almost stumped me, what is the name of your company? After a few seconds of self reflection, I remembered the advice, use my name.

After I remembered my name, the next sound out of the post was, you are good to go, come on in and get your ticket. And yes, I had to ask, do you have all three axels? Her response, of course we do. Oh, aren't you going around again? Now, after already having the 10 minute conversation on what I wanted to do, I could not make myself tell her there was a post in the way, so I did the next best thing; lie, lie, lie.

Now, after all this, I figured I would be a nice guy and give the wife a ride back to the building, so I told her to jump on in. She of course had to question me as she was still standing by the button, wasn't I suppose to be in there with you? Guess she is always right.

Anyways, here is what we ended up at; full fuel and fresh water, all other tanks empty, no groceries, no clothes, but everything else in the coach.

Steer - 15,880
Drive - 15,380
Tag - 10,040
Total - 41,240

And what does the wife say when I explain the weights on the ticket, there is lots of room left in the back end for me to fill up. Oh the joys.

We are going to run 120 up front and the Spartan recommend 85 in the rears until four corners completed.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Hopefully we get a chance to run into most of you at the Homecoming in May.

Have a hoot.
AUGAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the interesting story. Your inflations are right in line with what most others are doing. Have a great time on the road.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Hi Rick and welcome to the group.

It sounds like the adventure is truly underway.

FYI, CAT Scales says their scales shouldn’t be used with left and right sides only. They are useful for axle weights only, not corner weights.

As you have planned, get corner weights when time permits.

As a new Class A guy, I will offer two pieces of advice learned the hard way..

-The only thing you can do in a hurry with your coach, is to mess it up. Speed kills, slow down. Particularly the beginning and ending evolution of your day.

-Avoid the 3 D’s. “Different, Dangerous, or Dumb”. These are practices you will add to your toolbox of knowledge over time. Once you develop your personal practices, the 3 D’s is in reference to what you’re comfortable with.

It sounds like you’re headed in the right direction already, being concerned with your proper weights.

Best Regards,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where is it written that Spartan recommends 85 in rear? Another source says minimum of 75% of max, which would be 90. I have been wondering if too much pressure in tag tires contributes to porpoising.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

The tag in the coach behind the drivers seat in my 17 Anthem says 130 front, 85 drive, and 95 tag axle. It’s a Jayco tag, not a Spartan tag.

One thing to keep in mind, even though you get it 4 corner weighed, the weight on the tires changes depending on the crown of the road and which direction the wind is blowing. A strong cross wind will transfer a tremendous amount of weight from one side to the other. Not a good idea to be aired up to “just enough” to carry your sitting still weight.
Pwdr Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdr Extreme View Post
The tag in the coach behind the drivers seat in my 17 Anthem says 130 front, 85 drive, and 95 tag axle. It’s a Jayco tag, not a Spartan tag.

One thing to keep in mind, even though you get it 4 corner weighed, the weight on the tires changes depending on the crown of the road and which direction the wind is blowing. A strong cross wind will transfer a tremendous amount of weight from one side to the other. Not a good idea to be aired up to “just enough” to carry your sitting still weight.
Frictional heating increases tire pressures by 10 to 15 pounds within just a few minutes so these are non-issues.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdr Extreme View Post
The tag in the coach behind the drivers seat in my 17 Anthem says 130 front, 85 drive, and 95 tag axle. It’s a Jayco tag, not a Spartan

Thanks.
Anyone have an explanation why the drive axle, which carries much more weight than tag, has a lower pressure recommendation?
In my case drive is 16000 and tag 9780.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Thanks.
Anyone have an explanation why the drive axle, which carries much more weight than tag, has a lower pressure recommendation?
In my case drive is 16000 and tag 9780.
Four tires carrying the weight so less weight per tire. However, as many have stated, to get the correct tire pressure form the chart it is important to know the weight on each side of the axle, not just the total axle weight.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

On my coach (15 Anthem). 85 pounds works very well on both the drive and the tag based on a fully loaded coach for 3 months of travel, full fuel, full fresh water, and half full black and gray tanks (this was based on 4-corner weighing, not someone's recommendation or guess). With 295 tires on the drive and tag, 85 pounds produced a comfortable ride, minimal porpoising, and reasonably comfortable front bounce across bridge transitions and was well within Michelins margins. Steers were set at 120#. 125# produced substantially worse "ride" and 130# was not nice at all.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #10

Rick

Entegra can do 4-corner weighing when you are at Homecoming.... you might call now and see if you can arrange.

Gary
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Had four corner weights done at Spartan. Their recommended pressures were 85# in drive and tag and 130# in the steer. Yes, the 130# does not make a comfortable front end ride but Koni shocks help a great deal. Sadly the front axle on my coach is very near the max weight. On the other hand, the rear end could carry a lot more weight. My question has always been, with the pressure increase while driving, and cold inflation of 130#, is there a danger when the pressure reaches as much as 145# or more? All I get when I ask a tire shop is “I dunno”.
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in FL View Post
Had four corner weights done at Spartan. Their recommended pressures were 85# in drive and tag and 130# in the steer. Yes, the 130# does not make a comfortable front end ride but Koni shocks help a great deal. Sadly the front axle on my coach is very near the max weight. On the other hand, the rear end could carry a lot more weight. My question has always been, with the pressure increase while driving, and cold inflation of 130#, is there a danger when the pressure reaches as much as 145# or more? All I get when I ask a tire shop is “I dunno”.

Bill, we run 125psi cold in the steers and I routinely (esp in hot Wx) hit 152psi in the fronts. These tires have big safety factors built in.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #13

All tires heat substantially with a few miles at Interstate highway speeds. That is part of the reason I had no problem running my steers between 120 and 122 pounds in the steers cold. Within a few miles, those pressures are up to 130 and soon 140ish. No problem!

Gary
Old 03-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #14

Similar to Gary, I run 125 front and 85 and 90 on drive and tag.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure