Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tire repair kits

Headed out west for multi month trip and then have a trip scheduled for Alaska. Have heard that some of us carry tire repair kits.

What do others recommend for tire repair kits??? Do they work on our size tires????

I suspect much of the time I'll be able to get roadside assist, but in those cases where it isn't available, want to be sure I have options.
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I would strongly suggest a spare tire (mounted preferably) instead of a repair kit. Unless it's something like a nail, most tire repair kits will not help. Get rid of some unused stuff, make room in a storage bay and slide a spare in.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

I carry a Stop N Go #1085 kit. Probably the best one out there for repairs.
Been carrying the kit for over 15 years, and have used it for my auto, kids suv, and on motorcycle tire (emergency fix only).
Auto and suv, repairs lasted for years, until new tires were needed.
Haven't needed it on the rv, but it's there if needed.
This is for punctures in the tread area only. Sidewall damage...get a new tire.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Don't think that a mounted spare tire for an Entegra would be very practical or possible in a basement storage compartment. Besides which one would you carry, a front tire or a rear tire?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Don't think that a mounted spare tire for an Entegra would be very practical or possible in a basement storage compartment. Besides which one would you carry, a front tire or a rear tire?
Ditto.
Also a spare tire will weigh well over 100#. Are you prepared to man handle it in and out of your storage bay and lift it up to install on the lugs? Oh yes, do you have a torque multiplier that will put at least 450 ft lbs on the lug nuts to break them loose and retighten?

Get a good roadside service contract and leave the tire work to them. We have been up and down the Alaskan Highway three times now with no tire problems. You will be surprised at the condition of the roads on the Highway. The 2,000 miles of gravel my Dad drove in the 80s is gone! We had worse roads on Route 66 than we did on the Alaskan Highway.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All great advice, and a roadside assist is a must. If you need piece of mind, and you're pulling a toad or trailer, put a spare in one of those (rubber only). At least, if you do have a flat, you won't have to wait for the Roadside Service to find a spare. Which, isn't always that easy to find, or can take hours, depending on your location.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
JJT

Entegra Owners Club
I carry a Saftey Seal String Pro repair kit which is rated for our size tires, loads and pressures, just in case I get leak due to a tread puncture out in the middle of nowhere. Of course I would get the tire patched or replaced once I got back to civilization.
JJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

Rusty

Three years ago, and maybe it has changed now, I had GoodSam's roadside assistance plan. I had a tire with no air (bad stem, neighborhood prank????), and decided to call the roadside assistance plan since I was paying for it (inside dual). To my total surprise, I was informed that GoodSam roadside assistance would install an INFLATED spare on your coach (which I didnt have), but would not air up a deflated tire or mount a deflated tire on your rim, or fix the tire. They would bring you a comparable tire if you authorized them to spend ~ $750 up front to pay for the tire before the roadside assistance group arrived. Long story, but I ended up buying an unnecessary $700 tire which I did not need (the one with no air was not punctured or bad (wish I knew that at the time)).

Read EVERY WORD, and think about EVERY WORD of what any roadside assistance plan says they will do, and know beforehand, they will do absolutely nothing beyond what they specifically say they will do. Don't assume that of course they will do XXXXX, because they will not. I will never waste another dollar on a GoodSam roadside assistance plan again during this life..... Now, looking back, I would have been much better off not calling GoodSam, and simply calling ANY truck tire repair center and they would have been happy to air up my tire, or fix the flat if there was a problem or anything else, but instead, I stupidly called my roadside assistane company who then really took me to the cleaners .

Now, carrying a spare on one of these rigs is a non-starter in my book. You need both 295s and 315s. Just be ready to buy a new tire if you find yourself with a serious tire problem. Use your basement for what a basement is for.... your stuff !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

If you unit has uses air brakes you have an air source to air up a tire. A good plug kit is what I would carry in case of a nail or rock drilling.
If you do not have a on board air system then a portable compressor would be needed of course.
Depending upon where you are going in Alaska you may have very little gravel road to travel on.
From Prince George to Whitehorse via Dawson Creek is paved.
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

Don't have to travel off sealed roads to get a flat. I carry tyre plug kit and it has been used several times and got me out of trouble in areas where we had no phone reception or where roadside assistance wouldn't have been available.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Now, carrying a spare on one of these rigs is a non-starter in my book. You need both 295s and 315s. Just be ready to buy a new tire if you find yourself with a serious tire problem. Use your basement for what a basement is for.... your stuff !!

Gary
Exactly, for my rig I need 315/80's on the drive and 365/70's for the front and tag, plus they require different widths and offsets.
CoachNet for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Last year I had a decking screw protruding from my RF tire, no air loss. Called CoachNet and they would not authorize repair unless I agreed to move the tire to the rear. I did and tire repair service came but not fully equipped. He was able to remove the tire without dismounting the wheel. Although screw was not in far enough to break the inner seal he put a patch on it. Then came the fun part. He did not have proper jacks or knowledge. If I has not been monitoring he would have put his jack under a cross member that would not have supported the weight. Ended up using leveler jacks then struggled to get tire off without removing wheel or breaking fiberglass. He did not have equipment to be able to remove wheel and would have broken fiberglass if I had not been helping. So keep your fingers crossed as even roadside assistance may not be enough for all situations.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Rusty

Three years ago, and maybe it has changed now, I had GoodSam's roadside assistance plan. I had a tire with no air (bad stem, neighborhood prank????), and decided to call the roadside assistance plan since I was paying for it (inside dual). To my total surprise, I was informed that GoodSam roadside assistance would install an INFLATED spare on your coach (which I didnt have), but would not air up a deflated tire or mount a deflated tire on your rim, or fix the tire. They would bring you a comparable tire if you authorized them to spend ~ $750 up front to pay for the tire before the roadside assistance group arrived. Long story, but I ended up buying an unnecessary $700 tire which I did not need (the one with no air was not punctured or bad (wish I knew that at the time)).

Read EVERY WORD, and think about EVERY WORD of what any roadside assistance plan says they will do, and know beforehand, they will do absolutely nothing beyond what they specifically say they will do. Don't assume that of course they will do XXXXX, because they will not. I will never waste another dollar on a GoodSam roadside assistance plan again during this life..... Now, looking back, I would have been much better off not calling GoodSam, and simply calling ANY truck tire repair center and they would have been happy to air up my tire, or fix the flat if there was a problem or anything else, but instead, I stupidly called my roadside assistane company who then really took me to the cleaners .

Gary
Hi Gary,

Great story regarding Good Sam's. I still read horror stories about them, and personally don't have practical experience to say one way or another about their service today. But, I can boast about AAA. I've been a member of AAA for more than 30 years, and do have experience having my previous RV towed by AAA, not to mention Roadside Assistance. I'm sure a bit of bad luck plays a part in all of our experiences, but AAA has not let me down yet. They are nationwide, and I don't have to add the stress of trying to find a competent local mobile truck repair guy. I have my own horror stories with roadside assistance attempts where the tow truck guy showed up in a Nissan Altima. Seriously!!!! Just need to find the best roadside assistance for your needs and explain thoroughly what you need, before anyone is dispatched.

Back to the OP question. He's traveling to Alaska for a multi-month trip and obviously wants to have piece of mind, whether it's a patch kit (which i love the idea), or a spare tire (if it can be stowed within reason, why i mentioned a trailer), I personally would. Granted, this may not be ideal for you or I traveling in the lower 48 (Although, I've done it on long trips). If I were going to Alaska, I'd be prepared as much as possible, even if it means carrying two spares. But, that's just me. Granted, i probably can't swap out the tire myself on the side of the road, but at least I've saved a huge amount of time and money, trying to find a truck tire in the middle of nowhere and not buying a tire I didn't want because I'm at the mercy of what ever is found locally.

Which brings up another point. Check your tires. My 295's on the front are practically brand new. Just put my rig in the shop for routine service and a large cut was found on the inside of my steer tire. I'm just lucky. So i'm choosing to swap out both front tires to Toyo. So, this means i'll have 295's on the front and tag axle. After a discussion with Spartan, i'll be swapping out my drive axle tires from 275's to 295's as well. So in my case, i'll have 295's all the way around. I'll only need one spare.

Cheers!!!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #14

Well, if I was going to do Alaska and long drives with virtually no service, the one thing that I might try to find is, that I have seen, is a gizmo steel attachment that either goes over your hitch or fits around your hitch receiver and then goes vertical and has a mount for a tire on it. It can be a temporary solution which lets you have an actual inflated spare tire for you for that trip and then you can take it back off when you get back to the states. I might consider that too.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair