Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Toad lights

Our toad failed the light check this morning. Coach and toad tail lights work independently but toad doesn't light up when commanded by the coach.

Checked the fuses which are independent left and right.

Camping World installed the system, happens to be one near by so I will stop by there on the way out in a couple days so they can check it out unless someone on the forum has a fix.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two devices that are super handy when that happens.

Since the connector was a flat 4 (not a round six but one of 'em handle that) one is a flat 4 plug with 3 LED lights.. that's all folk RT/Stop LT/Stop and Tail.. IF they do not light.. problem is in Motor home (My flat 4 connector is still there so I can use this one)

The other is like the first but it has a pass-through socket so you can test under load.

Back when Rig was <1 year old I plugged in,,about 3amp on Jan2.. And checked the lights

RT/LT/Stop worked as designed.. Tail lights.. No joy

So I checked the install instructions for the US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator (Which had absolutly nothing to do with the problem but did with the solution) saw the unit had tie-wire between the Motor Home battery and towed battery (Heavy wire, breakers both ends)

Turned on the parking lights and took a 2,000 mile drive..Got it fixed on that end.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Vance with a volt meter or a test light see if there is power at the end of the cord. If not, I "think" Entegra has a fuse in the towing harness, but I have not checked and not sure where it is located. I just saw it posted that there was a fuse for the towing harness.

Are all of the toad lights not working? If so I would look at the MH side for the problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Entegra CS referred me to the Spartan fuse box which has turn and break light fuses and relays separated by side. It's doubtful both sides would go out at the same time so......

There is no single fuse for the tow harness that I could find or Entegra CS is aware of.

Vance & Robin
Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My information might not be 100% as I am pulling from memory of another post. I do remember now that the fuse was located in a round fuse compartment in the service bay and I think it was for the charge line. Oh well, I tried.

Do you have light power at the end of the tow cord or the 7 pin connector of the MH?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Round fuse box you describe has 2 fuses and 2 relays for "trailer" turn signals and brakes segregated by right and left.

No test tools with me. I may correct that tomorrow.

Vance & Robin
Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
No test tools with me.

Vance & Robin
That is a no-no if you own a MH I know I have used my tool box more than the basement freezer and outside entertainment center so far on this trip. The freezer was filled on the first stop with Indiana steaks.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have tools, just not a multimeter.

Vance & Robin
Old 07-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That is a no-no if you own a MH I know I have used my tool box more than the basement freezer and outside entertainment center so far on this trip. The freezer was filled on the first stop with Indiana steaks.
That is so true, well to a point anyway. Started the swivel mount installation for the outside TV yesterday. Broke out the toolbox and guess what . . . no drill bits. Quick trip to Lowe's, problem solved. Great modification thanks to everyone here on the forum Now I can spend more time with the entertainment center and the basement freezer
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #10

I was having a similar problem left turn signal and running lights would not turn on. The problem that I had was the pin screws were loose in the cable between the coach and toad. Took it a part and tighten all the screws and everything works good now
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I have tools, just not a multimeter.

Vance & Robin
I have those everywhere. One inside to check flashlight batteries and fuses, one on the top tray of the tool box and a new spare in the bottom drawer. Good thing they're free at Harbor Freight

A test light actually works better for testing toad lights. Clamp the ground and it leaves a free hand t move wires.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Took the toad and umbilical to Camping World. The tech took the car and came back in about 5 minutes saying all the lights work so it is probably the converter on the coach. I asked if he tested the umbilical. He walked away and came back in about an hour. Said he could only get parking lights with the umbilical. The female connector on the car and male on the umbilical were badly corroded so he replaced both. Hooked it up when we got back to the coach and we now have lights! $140 lesson to take better preventive care of my connectors!

I pointed out we have a 7-pin connector on the coach and a 4-pin on the other end so a coach mounted converter doesn't make sense. He disagreed.

Vance & Robin
Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Next time you have a problem like this you might try a little WD40 in the connections. It has helped me a few times as the plugs do get a little corrosion on them especially in damp weather which we seem to have had a lot of lately.

Not trying to push WD40 but it has a lot of uses. Worked on my jack also.

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Mountain View Post
Next time you have a problem like this you might try a little WD40 in the connections. It has helped me a few times as the plugs do get a little corrosion on them especially in damp weather which we seem to have had a lot of lately.

Not trying to push WD40 but it has a lot of uses. Worked on my jack also.

TOM

Sort of what I meant about adding connector care to my preventive maintenance plan. 30+ years of trailered boats I never paid much attention to the trailer connection to the vehicle. Lots of attention to the lights which went under water. Toad connections are different, especially the car end that is almost underwater in rain!

Vance & Robin

Tags
light, lights, toad