RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tom Johnson Service Center

Are there any Entegra owners with past experience with Tom Johnson Service Center in North Carolina?

They claim to have the largest Service Center from Maine to Florida.

RV Service,Tom Johnson Camping Center,Marion NC,Concord NC,Recreation Vehicle Dealer,RV Dealer

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt

Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
They are a big dealer so probably have a better service center than most. However they have only been an Entegra dealer for a few months.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never used them but have heard good things about them. The Concord location is right next to a HUGE campground for the Charlotte Motor Speedway. If you are not a NASCAR fan you might want to avoid the area during race times.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While not an Entegra owner, we have been to the Tom Johnson service center in Marion a number of times. It's an amazing facility, especially for a dealer.

Marc is right, they've only been an Entegra dealer for a short time, but your chassis is probably 90% the same as the American Coaches they've sold and serviced for years. For that matter, 90% of all your on-board systems are the same, or similar.

Be sure to have the best $3 BLT at their little on site café while you're there.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

While I was just "passing thru", their Marion location took me in (without an appointment) and repaired my basement A/C unit back in 2010. It took a few days, so we stayed in their on-site CG. Nice folks with a first class service operation.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Tom Johnson is OK

I have used Tom Johnson in both Concord and Marion locations. They are a big outfit and have many veteran and certified RV mechanics. They are reputable and trustworthy. The only drawback is they juggle a lot of work. An appointment is highly recommended.
FreedomDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
Are there any Entegra owners with past experience with Tom Johnson Service Center in North Carolina?

They claim to have the largest Service Center from Maine to Florida.

RV Service,Tom Johnson Camping Center,Marion NC,Concord NC,Recreation Vehicle Dealer,RV Dealer

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curt
We have a lot of experience with TJ. We live about 50 miles from the Marion location so that is where our experience is.

We bought our 1st coach there and found them to be professional and competent. Duncan Gant was our sales person. When we went to a Phaeton, we used another dealer in Winston-Salem. Also very good. When talking to Lazy Days, we were concerned about the limited number of dealers in or near NC. In talking to Joyce, we learned that TJ had just become a dealer. We were near a deal so we bought from LD, but we've had our service items done in Marion.

Mike Amerto is the service contact we deal with and he is terrific. He works with Entegra well. Entegra has even contacted me to let me know what's going on in Marion. That kind of service blew my mind.

We had slide problems (Rear PS as others have had), and they not only fixed it, they found another issue on the DS and fixed that also.

We noticed the A/C was dripping off the side instead of under the coach and they found crimped piping as well as a defective motor - again fixed.

Finally we noticed a slow leak one of the air systems. LD said it was OK during the delivery process, but TJ said no and found a bad valve - fixed.

As noted above they can be really busy so it is best to make an appointment. It can still take a while if you aren't in a hurry, but with our first coach, we had an issue at the beginning of a trip and they fixed in right away and we were back on the road in a couple of hours.

I guess you could say I am a big fan, but my experiences are top drawer.

The campground is pleasant and they let us use it for a couple of hours to check things out last time we were there. They have a snack bar with decent food, but Holly's is right down the road and a first class sandwich shop. While they work on the coach, Asheville and Black Mountain are just a short drive.

FWIW, when I was there a month or so ago, I was told they don't sell Entegra out of that location because a Camping World nearby has the rights even though CW doesn't carry Entegra at that location. Duncan can sell the line from Marion, but the stock is in Concord. Service is (obviously) done both places.
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback on TJ's.

That's what I was hoping to confirm.

Curt
Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #9

Do not use Tom Johnson Service center. We have had horrible service with them.
suzettenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
suzettenc:

Without some kind of qualification -- I find it difficult to heed your advice not to use TJ.

Curt
Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzettenc View Post
Do not use Tom Johnson Service center. We have had horrible service with them.
Our experience was totally the opposite with them - over several years and two different coaches. We've had to wait but they met their deadlines. Like Curtis, I'd like to understand the specifics.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Saltydog, what a nice review. Glad to hear a dealer that are doing things right.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Saltydog, what a nice review. Glad to hear a dealer that are doing things right.
Any dealer can make mistakes - these dang machines are incredibly complex.

I have met the real Tom Johnson and like Bob Tiffin, he is a gentleman and a man of his word. Family business with along history of taking care of his customers.

I think that is about all you can ask.

Plus there is a terrific deli not far from the Marion location
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
suzettenc:

Without some kind of qualification -- I find it difficult to heed your advice not to use TJ.

Curt
You are right and I truly apologize for my post. My husband and I had our Palazzo for 15 months and was in and out of the Tom Johnson service center NUMEROUS times during that time. One time we drove all the way to Elkhart Indiana for work. Thor was always very helpful in trying to help us.

We loved the way the Palazzo looked and drove!! All new coaches have problems, but we had one of the very FIRST palazzos off the line. That is probably the reason we had so many problems with it and with the dealer. Ours was one of, if not the first Palazzo, TJ had in their shop.

That part of our camping experience is now over. The only advice I have is Do your homework!!!
We now have a new coach and looking forward to its delivery in February.

My negative comments on this forum are over.......posting them never made me feel good any way, quite the opposite. My Dad always told me, " If you can't say something nice then don't say it,". Positive thoughts and happy thoughts for the future.
I am now unsubscribing from this thread. Happy RVing to everyone!

suzettenc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service