Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Tow Set Up Questions

I have a 43 foot 2014 Entegra Anthem towing a 2011 Dodge Dakota. I had to install an 8 inch drop down hitch in order to get the tow bar level. Note: Blue Ox recommends no more than plus or minus 3 inches from level for the tow bar. I now have 53 inches between the coach and the tow. The problem is when I fold the tow bar up; it sticks out too far for my coach parking space. I would like to re-drill the drop down hitch and the tow bar tung to shorten the length when the tow bar is folded up. First question, is there an optimum set distance between the tow and the coach? Or is there a distance that is too short between the tow and coach? Also has anyone else used an 8 inch drop down hitch and if so do you have any problems with the hitch dragging when maneuvering your coach over uneven areas at gas station or camp grounds? Thank you for your guidance and help.
Johnhif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #2

I use a drop hitch adaptor, but it is only 4-5" approximately.

I've never had an issue dragging it, and I've made some pretty technical transitions.

At 8", I would be very concerned about ground contact.

The easy solution is to get a different, less dramatic adaptor and use the +3" to your advantage. While perfectly level is ideal, some slope is acceptable.

Another option would be to have a GOOD welder fabricate a lower receiver, or a custom drop hitch for your setup.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

Yes there is an issue getting towed too close to coach. You could get the back of the coach into the towed, at least you can on a fifth wheel double towing. Don't ask😕.

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #4

I am planning to have the shank of the drop-down adapter drilled to negate some of the extension that it added to the distance from the motorhome to the toad.

By nature, you cannot get the distance from the motorhome to the toad any closer modifying the drop-down adapter than the tow bar had in the first place.

But I am also considering adding a closer hole in the shank of the tow bar itself. The cost of a shorter shank part is almost as much as the tow bar. But my distance from motorhome to toad will still not be any closer than it was with no drop-down adapter.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Had the same issue when having to use a large drop on a Mini Cooper. I was able to buy a shorter shank for the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar which got the folded length back to where the rig would fit in my storage unit without removing the tow bar.

Not the cheapest solution but I was uncomfortable modifying any of that stuff without manufacturer approval.

(Posted via iOS App)
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Been there done that with the drop down receiver. My fix was really expensive, I changed toads. Before purchasing this one, I checked the base plate manufactures web sites to see what the pin height would be. I know it won't help with the current problem, but it might for others when choosing a toad.

Shortening your existing setup will be the same length for towing as before the drop down. I was glad to eliminate mine completely, I know what you are going through especially when every inch counts in you storage location.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

We have a 6" drop and yes it does bottom-out when maneuvering in uneven areas. I did shorten the shanks as much as possible, however I also modified the drop down by welding a second 2" receiver to the top to accomodate our bike rack. So ultimately the length could not be too short or there would be no room for the bikes.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Arrow

We've used an 8" reverse-drop on ours for over 2 1/2 yrs with no issues, and with a dual hitch bike rack, but our coach is also shorter than yours, but also probably sits lower as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiesta and bikes.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	149770  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
We've used an 8" reverse-drop on ours for over 2 1/2 yrs with no issues, and with a dual hitch bike rack, but our coach is also shorter than yours, but also probably sits lower as well...
Big difference adding another foot on a 45 ft towing than a 35 ft towing. I was really glad to shorten my additional length by deleting the drop down receiver.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The optimum length of a towbar assembly is as short as possible, while not so short that the tow vehicle will contact the rear of the coach in a sharp turn. Yes, you can re-drill the towbar tongue to shorten the overall distance between coach and tow. I have done exactly that. Make sure the new hole is exactly centered in the side of the bar. Because of your drop hitch extension, your length will still be longer than the original towbar, and it is very unlikely to be too short.

I too have an 8" drop adapter and the bottom of it will very occasional contact the ground when going over a dip in the road or entering/leaving an inclined driveway. So far it has not cause any major problems, but I did have to replace a safety cable that got damaged by being scraped between the bottomed-out hitch extender and the ground. Secure all your wires and cables to the TOP of your towbar assembly so they cannot get damaged by scraping from below.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

Until I get the drop-down adapter hole changed, and the tow bar shank hole changed, I have a problem with the signal cable being stretched to the limit.

I used the remainder of a cable that had pulled out and dragged on the ground and a receptacle to extend the connection of the signal cable to the top of the drop-down adapter.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I thought I was the only one that carried broken pieces of umbilical cords. They do come in handy. That 8 inch really puts an extension or the hitch receiver, more than I thought.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
This question may go against the conventional wisdom, but....what difference does it make if there are 4-6 inches of drop from the coach to the toad? I don't see a safety impact. What are the engineering facts?
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:24 AM   #14

That would be a great question for the tow bar builders.

Let us know what they say.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow