Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Tow System

I would appreciate any advice. I am installing a tow bar and braking system for my 2018 Anthem and 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid. I am zeroing in on the Air Force One and the Blue Ox bar. Do you think i am on the right track or are there considerations I'm unaware of that may make other products more appropriate for this pair? As always thanks for the feedback.
Tom n Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I a using Blue OX and I love it. I have a brake Buddy and it works fine. However if it should break I will be replacing it with the SMI Air Force One.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Just had M&G air brake set up on my 15 Anthem w/blue Oxy on my Ford F-150. Service center wanted $5700 turn key but took both to M&G in Athens Tx and got the whole thing done for $3k.
Pdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Hybrid has full time electric brakes... even with key off. less effort needs to be applied than traditional vehicle brakes. Confirm the braking system adapts to the electric full time brakes.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

Ballews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom n Sandra View Post
I would appreciate any advice. I am installing a tow bar and braking system for my 2018 Anthem and 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid. I am zeroing in on the Air Force One and the Blue Ox bar. Do you think i am on the right track or are there considerations I'm unaware of that may make other products more appropriate for this pair? As always thanks for the feedback.
Tom,
If you don't mind driving to Tacoma, Ballews did my old coach and multiple cars for me. Great company, know what they are doing and very resonable.
Ballews
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

Tom

You are absolutely looking at the right systems. There are tons of them out there, but many of them have heavy and cumbersome things that need to be added (extra boxes that need to be secured in place each time you hook up) and removed each time you set them up or take them down. What you need to be considering is how much time and complexity do you have to deal with each time you hook up or drop the toad. The AF1 (and although I have never used the M&G) have consistently been rated and advocated as the top products on the market with minimum fuss and problem in their use. I have personally been using the DEMCO Excalibur -II towbar which is a 10,000 pound rated bar on my ~ 3,500 pound Honda. No signs of wear or any problems. Also has a very convenient thing which I have seen on no other tow bar ..... a stainless steel bar on the side of the tow bar that you mount the pig tailed electrical cord to the toad when not hooked up. That is VERY convenient! The power cord is always right where you need it when connecting. Very nice. The Air Force 1 is brain dead easy to connect. Connect air line to coach and Honda fittings (30 seconds) and connect the “break-away” line from coach hitch to AF1 loop on toad (15 seconds) and you are ready to go..... could not be easier.

You’ll see more AF1s in use than any other system .... JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

I'm in total confidence with the AF1 and the Blue Ox Avail through an eight inch drop hitch. We tow our F-150 and forget its back there. Easiest system to install and easiest to hook up and take down. Love it.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks guys! I ended up purchasing the AF1 and the Blue Ox Ascent. The Ascent is their newest product that has the non binding release but constructed out of Aircraft aluminum and 20#’s lighter than the Avail. It is 7500 lb rated but should suffice for my Fusion.
Tom n Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow