Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #1

Towing

We are researching tow bars and tow bar brackets/base plates. The setup will be on an Anthem, flat towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Would appreciate any information, experience, or suggestions you might have on the equipment (manufacturer, model, setup, etc.) you are using. Also, any pros and cons of your setup that might come to mind are appreciated. Thanks.
DSLPSHR4LIFE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Lots of threads on this, thus a lot of opinions. Most recommend Blue Ox or Roadmaster with some brake assist. IMO I'd go with either.

I use Roadmaster baseplates and tow bar (Blackhawk II as I have F-150 with motorcycle in back and thus 7300 lbs, so I went with the largest load tow bar.

I use the Invisibrake system. If you go that way, make sure install is done with pedals fully extended (some vehicles have adjustable pedals and the pedal need to be set initially all the way out).

I'm happy with my set up...it has been a big help in at least two hard braking incidents on the road.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I used CW to set up my toad before the coach arrived so when I picked up, I was ready to leave after I went through customer delivery. Less expensive than having some of the coach sales company do the same work. It is as much as $4000 for some set ups; Good Sams discount on top of intenet specials can save you real $$$.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

I went with the Blue Ox and had it professionally installed. All you have to do is get the toad close to the MH. Tow Bar stays on the MH. Takes a minute to hook or unhook. You don't even have to bend over. It is a 10,000# bar which might be a little overkill for my Honda Fit, but you never know.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Blue ox and Air Force One. Easy ,simple to use and you can move the Air Force One system from one toad to another when you trade.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

We are on our second Blue Ox tow bar and our third Blue Ox base plate. I just installed the base plate on our car Wendsday. We have had very good service on all of the equipment which is reflected in our dedication. We chose Blue Ox for the reputation and ease of use. I like the removable pins that almost makes the tow plate disappear!They also come to many rally's in support for their customers. I'm sure any brand you choose will serve you well.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep toad

I tow a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon behind my Aspire. I have towed it over 3000 miles without a hiccup. I have a Roadmaster tow setup and Roadmaster air brake. PM if you want and I'll send you some pics. I have a Wrangler baseplate for a Roadmaster towbar ( I used 6 mos, then put a custom bumper on) I'd sell cheap if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	35465  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Blue ox and Air Force One. Easy ,simple to use and you can move the Air Force One system from one toad to another when you trade.
Same here plus a Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

We tow our Jeep Wrangler with a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster for braking. Camping World installed everything and the system has been reliable with no problems.
Tim McK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #10

Blue Ox Aventa----Air force One----picked up the coach in Florida on Sept 5, '12 and have 13,000 miles on it now.

So far even I haven't been able to tear it up. Hint---put your safety cables ABOVE the tow bar--that way when you drag the trailer hitch on an incline they won't get caught under the hitch and cut them in half (OK, SO I HAVE TORN A PART OF IT UP).

Had to lock up the brakes once and the Air Force did exactly what it was suppose to do

Blessings
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Jeep toads

You may have heard that Jeep stands for Just-Empty-Every-Pocket and making mods to your Jeep is somewhat habit forming. Here's what I have now for my Roadmaster tow setup. I bought an aftermarket bumper from LOD in Indianna and they custom welded on the loops to attach my towbar. It takes me about 3 mins to hookup because I don't have to mess with a baseplate. You can buy a customized bumper for about $800 with loops. Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	35505  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We tow our Jeep with a Roadmaster tow bar - but the base plate is Blue Ox. We had a Blue Ox on the last MH (which we sold complete with toad) and we purchased this Jeep with the Blue Ox already installed. The only complaint we had with the Blue Ox tow bar was that sometimes it could be difficult to unhook if the toad was less than straight behind the coach. It also gave us fits once or twice when one of the arms wouldn't lock. Bought the Roadmaster All Terrain when we got the Aspire and haven't had one issue with it. I can hook it up in 5 minutes even if Rick is busy doing something else. When we both work on it, it takes longer to check the lights than it does to hook up. Both brands performed well for us - I like the Roadmaster a little better, but that is purely a personal preference.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went with all RoadMaster equipment and have been very satisfied with it. Did the install on the 97 Jeep GC myself and RoadMaster did it at the factory on the '05 Odyssey. In both vehicles I did the BrakeMaster install myself though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Demco tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate, Toad Stop braking system - http://www.safe-techsolutions.com/ToadQi.htm
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing