Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
OWV

Towing

This question is for anyone who tows a 1500 truck and has a motor cycle lift on the back of their coach.

It is my understanding that the Entegra (2014 Anthem in our case) hitch and chassis have a 10,000 lb towing capacity. It is also my understanding that a tow bar extension will reduce the original towing capacity by about a third.

So, for those of you who have a motor cycle lift and who tow a pick-up truck, what kind of tow bar extension do you have and do you know if it can safely tow 6,500 pounds?

As always, thank you for your help.

Regards,

OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Had the set up you're referring to with an Anthem with a 2013 F-150, Hyrdralift, and a HD UltraClassic. Had no issues and I used a 1 foot extension. Depending on which cables you have you may have to go longer with those.

I would check you tow height. Having look at mine again, after shearing three bolts on the Roadmaster system, that I should have been told to use a 4 or 6" drop hitch. At least with the Cornerstone that is the case, but I think the CS is about 3-4" higher than the Anthem.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

I don't have your 'exact' setup, but tow a 2005 Toyota Tacoma pickup and carry a 2013 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra on a Hydralift, yup it was yours Dave. My Tacoma weight is about 4200lbs and the Roadglide comes in around 900lbs. I bought a 12" extension from etrailer and it's capable of doing 6500lbs.

When I was getting everything together, for this setup, I had a conversation with the guys at etrailer. I was told, by them, that my towing capacity and tongue capacity would be cut by 50% with the extension. Now this may be conservative, but you may want to call them and discuss it. I didn't worry too much because my hitch is 15K and the truck is under the 6500lbs. So my setup is well below its capacity. Give them a call. I've talked with them on several occasions and they seem to be very knowledgeable.

Good luck....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #4

Be aware that the Hydra Lift hitch is rated at 8,000 lb.

I carry an HD ultra limited on the HL and pull a Rubicon with a BlueOx with 12" extension with no issues.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
I don't have your 'exact' setup, but tow a 2005 Toyota Tacoma pickup and carry a 2013 Harley Davidson Roadglide Ultra on a Hydralift, yup it was yours Dave. My Tacoma weight is about 4200lbs and the Roadglide comes in around 900lbs. I bought a 12" extension from etrailer and it's capable of doing 6500lbs.

When I was getting everything together, for this setup, I had a conversation with the guys at etrailer. I was told, by them, that my towing capacity and tongue capacity would be cut by 50% with the extension. Now this may be conservative, but you may want to call them and discuss it. I didn't worry too much because my hitch is 15K and the truck is under the 6500lbs. So my setup is well below its capacity. Give them a call. I've talked with them on several occasions and they seem to be very knowledgeable.

Good luck....
I took your advice and contacted eTrailer. They were GREAT! I had a number of questions and many follow-up questions. Jason answered all of my question in a very timely and complete manner. If you have questions and need good answers, based on my experience, at least, you can't go wrong to contact eTrailer.

BTW, the solution I came up with includes
1. A 2 1/2" (1/4" wall) 30" extension tube.
2. A shank inserted in the extension tube. This is what Blue Ox does with their 12" extension. The shank gives the extension tube enough strength that the towing capacity of Blue Ox's 12" extension is rated at 10,000 lbs.
3. While this should be sufficient to tow our truck which weighs about 6,500 pounds fully loaded, even if the 1/3rd reduction rule is applied, I am also going to add the Supertruss chains to the extension similar to the chains used with the torklift extension.

While this last step is probably overkill, the cost of the turnbuckle and chain (about $30) is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that I should have a set up that is going to allow me to tow safely.

Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my question, and thanks, too, to eTrailer and particularly Jason at eTrailer for all their help.
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing