Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

No effect. Unless that they can prove that the supplementary braking system caused a brake or other component to fail they can't deny warranty (Moss-Magnusen).

Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The other issue is a breakaway. Should your towed vehicle come detached from the motorhome it will become an unguided ballistic missle, capable of causing serious damage, injury, or death to an oncoming vehicle. This stuff happens and a supplemental braking system with a breakaway switch will lock up those brakes and stop the runaway vehicle.

Last year I had an event that further supports the need for a supplemental braking system. We were towing our 5,000 lb Jeep (lots of extras on it) behind our Allegro Bus. I recently replaced the locking hitch pins because the locks were getting hard to work after all those years. I had installed an M&G braking system on the Jeep, along with the optional breakaway switch. The M&G used air pressure from the coach to proportionally apply the brakes on the Jeep and works great.

We were driving along on a 2 lane highway when suddenly I felt and heard a loud shock at the rear of the coach. I looked in the rear view monitor and saw my Jeep being towed behind the Bus but about 10' back instead of where it should be. I pulled over to investigate and found that the new 5/8" hitch had sheared and the tow bar had pulled right out of the RV's hitch receiver. The safety cables held it, which was the shock we heard and felt when they extended and reached their limit. The breakaway switch cable did it's job and triggered the breakaway switch which deployed the Jeep's brakes.

Had I not had a supplemental braking system or breakaway switch the Jeep would have bounced back after reaching the end of the safety cables' travel, impacting the rear of the motorhome. I also would not be able to slow down and come to a stop without the Jeep smacking the rear of the coach but when the breakaway switch applied the Jeep's brakes it kept its distance and I was able to safely pull over and correct the problem by replacing the hitch pin with a spare, reconnecting the tow bar, and going on our way with no damage to either the Jeep or the coach. Without that system I would have been getting estimates at a body shop, even though the safety cables would have prevented a runaway.

In my opinion, towing without a good supplemental braking system is akin to driving without insurance. If something goes wrong it can go wrong in a big way.

Hey Mark
I was wondering when the break away switch engaged on your Jeep, did the brakes on the Jeep really lock-up? Did that cost you a set of tires?

Gary & Leigh
2017 Entegra Cornerstone 45Y
2011 & 2014 Entegra Anthem(Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

No lock up. Normally the toad brake application mirrors that of the coach on an M&G system but they are set to just stop short of a lockup, even if you lock up the coach brakes. When the breakaway switch engaged it gave a good pull on the brakes but didn't lock up the brakes or flat spot my tires. I was very happy the way things turned out and couldn't have improved on it.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
I've put on three base plates now, they have all fit great, the last two did not have to drill any holes. You don't know if it's been in an accident, been torqued or what. The companies putting these out have been tried and tested and know what they are doing. I've been using Blue Ox, where the pegs sticking out of the bumper are removable, you hardly notice it.
Harold & Sandy Smith
'16 Anthem "B"/'13 Equinox
Smitty3509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
Entegra Owners Club
To go back to the initial posting, I have executed panic stops with and without an auxiliary braking system on the toad, and the difference is quite noticeable. These big motorhomes are short on stopping power to begin with, and to have 4 or 5 thousand extra pounds pushing them from behind makes a huge difference. I for one would never tow a vehicle or trailer behind my motor home without brakes on the towed vehicle. Imagine you are driving down the road and a car full of kids pulls out in front of you. You have brakes on your tow vehicle, and you manage to stop about 3 feet short of the car, your brakes smoking.

Now imagine the result if you had no brakes on the toad. Need I say more? I don't care what type of tow brake you use, but you need to use one.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Smitty3509 View Post
Welcome to RVing! There is so much to see across this country.

Well the first reason for trailer brakes is, it is required by law with a trailer over a certain weight (I think 2000 pounds). I dial my sensitivity down so they only kick in for emergency braking and a breakaway situation. Motorhome magazine puts out a very good towing guide describing the braking options and lists all vehicles that can be towed and any special procedures needed on each vehicle. You can find this guide on line, just google it.

There are different wiring options available, see the towing guide. You can use the existing tail lights or mount a separate bulb in your tail light specifically for the Motorhome connection.
But in a lot of states a motorized vehicle being towed is NOT a "trailer" and the rules change. This is true in WA, OR and CA. There they are considered "combination vehicles" and the spec changes to a performance one. If you can stop from XX mph in XX feet then you're OK. Oh, yes, there are a LOT of charts out on the Internet about this that are totally wrong too!
HOWEVER, I've never heard anyone say: Gee, I wish I hadn't stopped so soon.
I've always used diodes when wiring my toweds.
There was one case where a MH did a panic stop and tried to turn to the side at the last moment. He didn't quite make it and it killed his wife. The did a breaking analysis afterward and found that he would have stopped before hitting the truck had he had towed brakes. They do make a difference!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

brakes, towing