Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
you talk about airforce one hooking to peddle, you ever try to push peddle without engine running? THAT is reason i use M&G. works on brakes only not vacuum chamber, do what you want, M&G works for me
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 03:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
I finally figured it out. Our coach had an M&G system installed prior to our purchase. The kit notification consists of a Red LED on the dash which we have as well as the air line connection highlighted below. I plan on giving them a call tomorrow. More to follow.

I have the M G system on ours and I tow A jeep, if you want to swing by and check how it is set up.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobart22 View Post
you talk about airforce one hooking to peddle, you ever try to push peddle without engine running? THAT is reason i use M&G. works on brakes only not vacuum chamber, do what you want, M&G works for me
I have used the AF1 on four vehicles and, while I am not sure exactly how it works, the AF1 ties into the brake booster vacuum line and the brake pedal acts the same when connected to the AF1 as it would with the toad engine running.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #32

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobart22 View Post
Is this anecdotal or did you actually have a problem with an AF1 system? If you have problems pushing the pedal with the AF1 installed it isn't installed correctly or there's another problem with the brake pedal. AF1 is the best proportional braking system currently available, IMHO. Mine works flawlessly.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
you say AF1. i say M&G welcome to choices
Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Well, right wrong or indifferent...I ordered the M&G system today. I like the design of all the parts are under the hood.

I decided on the Ready Brute tow bar. It does everything the BlueOx does, is hundreds cheaper, and has a lifetime warranty.

I've got about a week to get up my nerve to install everything. More to follow.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
okay not to put a kink in your plan, but according to Spartan any time you tap into brake air line with a T you need a ping tank,and they say that is Federal law.mine cost me i think $900 installed at Sparten. i love my M&G system, but be fore warned, safe travels and enjoy.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #36

Spartan's ping tank goes for $338 ish..

https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5

I'm sure I'll be buying one of these as the ding dong who tapped my air line certainly didn't use one.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
This is not to start an argument of kind....just my own curiosity. Why is tapping into the coaches air brake system, that Federal Law requires for more equipment for, better than a simple cable that pulls on the brake peddle as if someone is sitting in the toad braking for you?

I have been totally satisfied with the simple brake cable system that works perfect and easy to install. I have owned some really bad brake systems, so I know what doesn't work.

There is noting wrong with air brake systems, but why are they better when they do the same thing? Maybe it's me that needs some education.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:22 AM   #38

Chuck, your system functions only when the toad is trying to push the MH.

IMHO that is the goal.

As you know, I very recently had a chance to review our setup. In my case, it came down partly to not having much time (or desire) to get under the dash of our F-150.

I know, lazy.

Ultimately, without any experience with it, I think your setup is a good one and will be something to consider the next time I set up a toad.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Well Chuck

Not to joust, just food for thought. How many semi trailers or dump trucks do you see towing a trailer with a cable brake setup? Do you value your car as much as your toad?

I have an air brake system on my Anthem/Toad , a Roadmaster Brakemaster. It is hammer and nails simple. I have moved it onto my fourth toad and have used it well over 100,000 miles and it still works great. For just a slight bit more setup time during the original install a person can have a system that is reliable and error free. My hookup time is less than 5 minutes for the entire toad. I can tell before I leave my spot if the brake works. It has emergency brake away braking and you don't have to be an electrical engineer to test it out. I have seen AF1 and M&G systems and cannot offer an opinion on them but my Brakemaster is very simple to hookup and tell that it works.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, the Ready Brake system wasn't available when I got my Air Force One. I had been using a Blue Ox box that I had to put between the seat and brake pedal and it was a PITA. If Ready Brake had been available, I would certainly have investigated it.

It is my understanding that the key difference between systems like Ready Brake and air operated systems (AF1, M&G) is that the air operated systems tie into the toad's brake booster/master cylinder so that the toad brakes operate as if the toad engine was running. I believe systems like Ready Brake are pushing/pulling against a dead pedal. Not sure this really makes a difference in the end since I guess either helps slow/stop the toad. My question about any surge type system like Ready Brake is how it behaves on a long downhill grade if you are using the compression brake on the coach. If the coach is slowing using the compression/exhaust brake, how does the surge brake type of system know not to ride the toad brakes?

The AF1 works very well and is truly proportional. However, no question it is not cheap and installation on both the coach and toad is not a simple task. I've installed my AF1 on four vehicles, two Explorers, a CRV and my current F150. I did send the box back for refurbish once along the way. Installing it on the toads was a 3 - 4 hour job.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Spartan's ping tank goes for $338 ish..

https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5

I'm sure I'll be buying one of these as the ding dong who tapped my air line certainly didn't use one.

-Matt
For those considering the Air Force One, the Spartan ping tank is not needed as the AFO duplicates that function. Advice direct from Spartan.

Our AFO has been on three coaches and two tow vehicles, never a problem. Easy set-up, only requires connecting air line and break away tether, increases set up time by maybe 10 seconds.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #42

Rob

Three years ago, your statement was not what was being uttered by Spartan..... at that point, Spartan was saying that you needed their ping tank regardless of the ping tank included in the Air Force One system. Never made any sense to me, but I had corresponded with several owners who had the AFO system installed by Spartan in Charlotte say that Spartan insisted on adding "their" tank. I also read that discussion here on iRV2 in the months before I was deciding on my system and talked to AFO several times by phone. Then I gently insisted that I be able to talk to their designer and engineer and he said that they designed their system (Air Force One) in conjunction with Spartan and Spartan's engineers signed off on their system design before they put it out on the market. There were old systems such as the M&G at one point that did not have ping tanks at all and the air system from the coach was brought directly back to the toad, so maybe Spartans people were initially unfamiliar with the AFO system which included all necessary equipment. Glad to hear that everyone is on the same page now. Two ping tanks makes no sense.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entegra, tow, towing