Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer brakes

I installed a brake control box for hauling my enclosed trailer. The control box activates the brakes when the brake lights are activated which is great. The problem is that when the engine brake is on it also activates the brake lights so when I am on the interstate and let off the trailer brakes are engaging.

Any ideas on how to disconnect the brake lights from the engine brake or somehow bypass them so it does not drag the trailer brakes when I am slowing down?
ItsWhatWeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
My Invisibrake is supposed to do the same thing. I've never been able to verify beyond the dash indicator that shows that the Invisibrake has actuated (when the Aux Brakes are on).

I wondered about this too, but then decided that it's not such a bad thing for the drivers behind to understand that some sort of braking is taking place. In urban areas and off ramps, I think it's great that the Aux Brake (through the Invisibrake) causes the brake lights to go on. I'm not so sure about it on Interstate downhills.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

Spartan wires there chassis that way. There are 2 camps to this issue obviously. On my old Power glide chassis the tail lights did not come on with engine brake. Only thing I suggest is turning aux brake off when you don't want or need trailer braking
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #4

Yes on my old Monaco it came pre wired with a toggle switch which cut the power to the brake box. When on the interstate or down hills I just shut it off and it did not engage the trailer brakes, but the aux brake would work. Then on smaller roads I could turn it on and use the trailer brakes. I just thought since reading this forum it looks like someone has an answer to every question I would put it out there and see if their was an easier way. I dont really care if the brake lights work with the aux brake.
ItsWhatWeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have a Unified Tow Brake on my toad which works the same way. My dealer (Lazydays) installed a relay so that the tow brake does not activate with the exhaust brake, only with the service brakes. Any good RV service center should be able to do the same thing.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Just me, but I like having the toad brakes come on when the Exhaust brake engages......it keeps people from riding my bumper.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Just me, but I like having the toad brakes come on when the Exhaust brake engages......it keeps people from riding my bumper.
plus it also turns the tow brake lights on
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogelling View Post
plus it also turns the tow brake lights on
I meant to say toad/trailer brake lights. Thanks for catching my error.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes