RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jagmoor
Transfer switch "clicking"

When I engage the 50 amp service by turning on the circuit breaker, the transfer switch gives a single click. I believe this is normal. Now however I've noticed that during the quiet of the night, the transfer switch has taken to giving a single click though it's been engaged for days. Due to the ambient noise I have not heard it "clicking" during the day though I think I'll move my chair next to the bay, open the door and have a listen. My question is has anyone experienced this before and is it a sign of a failing transfer switch. I'm currently in NW Montana with limited service facilities. Oh yes, I'm using a Progressive stand alone surge protector. Maybe I should take it out of play and see what happens. Excuse the rambling, this is how I think.

jagmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

First thing to do ; with the coach disconnected from power ; pull the cover off the transfer switch and make sure all the wiring connectors are tight, and that there is no sign of heat damage to the wiring.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

Yes, when voltage on one leg coming in drops below 108 volts.
Try a different location before you look further. It may be a supply problem.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I had that problem, but the clicking would be several times before stopping. After trouble shooting over the phone with Progressive Industries, my circuit board in the EMS was bad. Try unplugging the EMS and see if that stops the clicking. At least it will eliminate that problem. Also check incoming power to see if it is constant.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Just one click from the transfer switch is hard to rationalize. Seems like if it were engaged to shore power one click would indicate it was switching otherwise. If that happened you should see the inverter displays immediately going to "inverting". A faint one click sounds more like the inverter momentarily opening the shore 110 to supply inverter 110 then vice versa.

I hate to say this but this sounds like the rat hole I chased down for months before discovering the inverter was briefly interrupting power due to a momentary false code on it's internal diagnostics. I would always hear clicks but it was the buss bar inside the inverter making the noise, not the transfer switch.

You can take the cover off the transfer switch and watch the buss mechanically switch when shore power is removed or supplied or the generator starts. It is an educational exercise to watch what is happening and to hear the sound to differentiate it from the inverter. The inverter clicking is what you would hear when everything is quiet. The transfer switch you hear pretty much anytime despite ambient noise. The transfer switch is loud and you hear it easily inside the coach . You may never have heard it that way since you are the one plugging into the post. Interupt the power so the progressive unit times out and listen to the transfer switch when it times out again and supplies shore power.

Buy several of the plug in 110 testers (the type with a red and two yellow leds that show proper connection and ground) and plug them into outlets in strategic places you can see when you hear a click. That is how I tracked down my problem as when I would hear a click the tester would flicker off/on very quickly.)

http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/40020S-A
Old 09-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jagmoor
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. I shall now get to work.

jagmoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch