RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Transfer switch/Generator

We recently had our transfer switch go out on us. I am not as technical as others, but my understanding of the switch is it identifies the source of electricity either generator, land hook up or engine running and provides that as power to the coach. While it took an inordinate amount of time to get this addressed it finally was installed today. Of course while the tech was still here everything appeared to be working properly. After he left not so much. We are in Texas and it is not cold and not warm, but the coach gets stuffy and I had turned on the air to cool it down and circulate the air a bit. It made a funny noise but the air never came on. I checked the fuses over the driver's seat as they had been tripped a lot when the switch was acting up, they were fine. I went outside and found the breaker was off at the power pole and reset it. I am still not getting a charging message only an inverting message. When I tried to use the generator, which prior to a jury rig of the transfer switch (while we waited on the new one), had been our source of power when the batteries got low. The generator now runs for a short period and shuts off. I did this twice and the second time from the generator I got Service Fault 13 - Under AC volt message.

Insights? It is easy to assume the switch is not installed correctly or it has a problem as well, hope it is installed wrong. The tech will be back tomorrow to install our slide out awning which is another story but not for this forum. Anyone know what the fault code means? I have not seen a lot of discussion about the transfer switch, but then it would fit I would be a sole experiencer

I am hoping this is all related to the switch, but figured if I was armed with more information for the tech. He is good, works on a big variety of RVs, worked for Entegra at one time and is known well by them, but this seems to be a new one for him from some of his comments. He was surprised to find out the manufacturer only warrants it for a year, which we have gone past.

Interested in any insights that can be shared. Sure would like to get this problem and one other fixed that has kept us captive in Texas...

Mike

Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #2

Even if the manufacturer only warrants for a year, Entegra should pick it up in year two. Not sure if you are past that as well.

Fault Code 13 is an under voltage code which means the generator is unable to maintain proper voltage (it's too low). It shuts off to prevent damage to whatever equipment it is feeding.

Since the problem started the first time the genny was cycled after the transfer switch was replaced, I suspect improper wiring during the replacement. I think it's likely that either two legs were wired together or a leg and a ground were wired together on the generator side of the T-switch and that has likely caused some damage. The noise you heard was probably the T switch cycling/oscillating. I'm a little surprised the tech didn't run the generator and cycle the T switch before he left, I would have. Perhaps he did and you didn't mention it.

Either way I suspect you are talking to the repair folks now. I would be interested in the outcome.

RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #3

Transfer switch/Generator

I appreciated your response and help. Turned out the new switch was bad. Initially when installed it was working, but it lasted about two hours or less. He has hot wired the coach again so we have electricity without having to use batteries and keep starting the coach. The generator works fine now, but it is not hooked up to provide electricity. He will have to order a new transfer switch and give it a to again.

Mike
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, transfer switch