Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Transfer Switch - Model 41280

We’re getting power at pole (118-119amps on each leg), but transfer switch box is making popping/clicking sound and won’t send power to coach. Suggestions/thoughts?
Update: model #41260
patallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Just seeing 118 - 119 " VOLTS " at the pole doesn't mean the neutral and ground are good.

Any load on either leg could cause a bad connection and the volts to drop out.

If its your power pole, check the connections on the outlet, then check your cord reel, if equipped and then the connections inside the transfer switch for arcing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just seeing 118 - 119 " VOLTS " at the pole doesn't mean the neutral and ground are good.

Any load on either leg could cause a bad connection and the volts to drop out.

If its your power pole, check the connections on the outlet, then check your cord reel, if equipped and then the connections inside the transfer switch for arcing.

I have an external SurgeGuard at pole prior to coach. It would stop low voltage, neutral and/or ground issues prior to sending power to hardwired unit on coach. (Been using both for past 15 months - full timers)
Hardwired unit on coach is clicking/chattering when power is sent to it. Any “easy” way to bypass transfer switch (I am not very technical)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patallee View Post
I have an external SurgeGuard at pole prior to coach. It would stop low voltage, neutral and/or ground issues prior to sending power to hardwired unit on coach. (Been using both for past 15 months - full timers)
Hardwired unit on coach is clicking/chattering when power is sent to it. Any “easy” way to bypass transfer switch (I am not very technical)

I shut down all power to coach, waited 5 min and then turned power back on. As pole had both 50 and 30 amp, I plugged into 30amp and transfer switch worked! (No chattering/clicking) - coach has power! I’ll try the 50amp side again later.
Thanks for the suggestion/thought about shore power pole.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patallee View Post
I shut down all power to coach, waited 5 min and then turned power back on. As pole had both 50 and 30 amp, I plugged into 30amp and transfer switch worked! (No chattering/clicking) - coach has power! I’ll try the 50amp side again later.
Thanks for the suggestion/thought about shore power pole.
If it does it again on the 50 amp plug the pedestal circuit breaker is bad. If you run into the problem again, you always have the generator to get power into the coach if the transfer switch is not fried.
Having the year of your coach in a signature line will help other identify how old your transfer switch might be and what problems they may have had with that year on their coaches.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If it does it again on the 50 amp plug the pedestal circuit breaker is bad. If you run into the problem again, you always have the generator to get power into the coach if the transfer switch is not fried.
Having the year of your coach in a signature line will help other identify how old your transfer switch might be and what problems they may have had with that year on their coaches.

Thanks brobox, great suggestion. we have a 2016 Anthem
Old 08-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #7

Issue seems to have been external Surge guard. It began issuing error message. Everything works as expected without it. We have ordered new Progressive
Old 08-29-2018, 05:23 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for that update. The chattering of the transfer switch was the same when my Progressive went out. It got progressively worse until the chattering was non stop. I also thought the transfer switch was bad until the Progressive was tested. Thanks for letting others know......that might be one of the normal symptoms. I just learn it wan't just mine that did that. What was strange on mine the Progressive still acted normal, no error codes, nothing but the transfer switch chattering.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The new Surge Guards have lifetime warranty. Had mine replaced at Homecoming when I noticed molten soldier on one connectors. Surge Guard wanted the unit to study. Surge Guard warranty also warrants everything connected downstream. Better warranty than before. Jim
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch