Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

Transfer Switch - Southwire 40350RVC in '19 Cornerstone

I am just beginning to look at the power situation in my new Cornerstone. I had, and loved, the Progressive Industries HW50C energy management system and assumed that I would install it into my new coach. As I have begun to look into this new Southwire Model 40350RVC, it appears that it is a somewhat similar unit, a transfer switch but also it has for additional money, a digital display which reads out errors, and it claims to protect against power surges, open ground, open neutral, low voltage (<102 VACV) and High Voltages (>132 Volts), reverse polarity, and high and low AC frequency. The optional remote monitor (~$70.00) supposedly shows the error codes. It says it is designed for circuits up to 65A on each leg, has 3350 Joules of surge protection, and will take the coach off line for 2.5 minutes when ity detects any abnormal condition before it tries to apply power again if the fault has cleared. It is unclear in my reading at this point if this is now a system that is able to deal with repeated surges or like the transfer switch on my Anthem, is a "one surge and done ("blown")) EMS system.

Has anyone already called the manufacturer to try to check out what it really is capable of doing? What are peoples opinions on whether the Progressive HW50C is still a far superior EMS and appropriate for installation? I am going to call the company to clarify, but thought I would bring it up here... Since it changed hands and been bought out by some other company, Progressive Industries customer service line has been less than stellar.... tried to call 4 times already today and talked to no one yet.... and supposedly waiting on a return call.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #2

I do not know about this transfer switch but you need to watch out for a lot of surge protector devices. Any surge protector can get eaten up if it gets hit with a strong enough surge. I had to replace a $11,000 surge protector on an office building when it had gotten hit with a surge bigger then it could handle. Most time it will protect you on the one that eats it up but when the next one comes along you will have no protection. There are a few out there that when they get eaten up they will disconnect power to what ever it was supplying so the next surge will not do damage.

I like the ones with the idiot light on them. When you see the lights you know they are still good.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #3

Gary, you’re touching on something I’ve been pondering.

Our 2018 has the same 40350-RVC transfer switch. I haven’t specifically compared every power protection feature it has versus a Progressive Industries standalone power protection device, but the 40350-RVC appears to have protection that is about as good, possibly even better.

But here’s my concern:

Inside the box of a 40350-RVC is power protection circuitry and transfer switch circuitry. Let’s say I connect to shore power at a given RV park. While I’m connected something bad happens power-wise. The 40350-RVC protects my coach from the power issue. At that point there are three possibilities:

1) The power protection circuitry of the 40350-RVC is undamaged, as is the transfer switch circuitry.

2) The power protection circuitry is fried, but the transfer switch circuitry still works.

3) The power protection circuitry is fried and so is the transfer switch circuitry.

Number 1 is good.

Number 2 is kinda-sorta tolerable. I still have a working transfer switch but I’m at risk if there is another power issue. And the question that follows is what do I have to do to get back to full functionality – obtain an entirely new 40350-RVC, send mine in for repair, see if the manufacturer will send me the parts necessary to repair the unit, or ?

Number 3 is not good. Depending on how bad the transfer switch circuitry is fried, I may not be able to get shore power into the coach, I may not be able to get generator power into the coach, or I may not be able to get power from either source into the coach. No matter what, I’m probably going to need a new 40350-RVC.

With all that in mind, I’ve been thinking a standalone Progressive Industries power protection device ahead of the 40350-RVC might not be a bad idea. If the P.I. device gets fried by a power issue, the 40350 would presumably be undamaged.

I have a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C 50 amp portable unit (predecessor to the current EMS-PT50X) which I’ve owned and used for the past ten years or more. I haven’t been using it as we’ve traveled in the Entegra because I originally concluded it would be redundant and unnecessary. But the more I think about the concerns outlined above, the more I'm thinking I should be using it.

Thanks for raising these questions and please keep us posted on what you learn and decide to do.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

Oh, I forgot to mention, but the 40350RVC Transfer Switch is now the stock transfer switch equipped on 2019 Cornerstones.... not sure about earlier years.

Gary
Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #5

The transfer switch that was installed by Entegra in my 15 Anthem was clearly a "one and done" (one surge that blows the surge suppressor, and then no more surge suppression anymore) and a standard part of PJ's owners lecture was to strongly encourage the purchase of a more fully developed electrical management system such as the Progressive. So, I installed an HW50C within weeks of my purchase. I liked the Progressive VERY MUCH. My digital read out unit was mounted right next to the power reel spool up switch in the AquaHot compartment. I turned on the power at the Park Power Post, then walk briskly to the compartment to read out all the readings on the Progressive (voltage, amperage, on each leg, error codes. It was perfect. About that time, I could hear the power relays pull-in and apply the power to the coach. And I knew all was well because I saw all the power parameters and the fault codes and knew all was good.

If I can get someone at Southwire and Profressive to answer, I will resolve the issue of whether the unit can take multiple surges, brown-outs, over-voltages without failure and I will report and whether the Progressive adds additional protections. Also, Larry you are talking about putting the Progressive in the line earlier.... where my usual strategy is to put it in after the transfer switch so the Progressive is evaluating both the commercial line and the Onan generator power outputs.

Gary
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Looking forward to the answer Gary. I went on Southwire web site, but everything they had was on their portable unit sold and CW. That one is a one and done as it only has a year warranty.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Chuck

This is the link to the transfer switch that is on the 2019s

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ansfer-switch/

Gary
Old 06-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #8

Under troubleshooting ,if display says “Surge”, a fuse must be placed on the pc board. Transfer switch will work but have no surge protection.
bfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #9

Replaced on pc board
bfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Chuck

This is the link to the transfer switch that is on the 2019s

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ansfer-switch/

Gary
I was on that site. The information is very vague. I will look for the information on troubleshooting that bfridge found.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #11

This is from their faq

How do I know if my surge protection still works?

The surge protection does not usually fail unless there is a direct lightning strike. If this happens, there would likely be other obvious damage; otherwise, the surge protection should last indefinitely.

You would need the optional display to be able to check and see the error codes and to know if the fuse was blown.

Also if you were to get a good enough surge to blow the fuse, during the same event you could get another surge that could take everything out since the surge protection was not active.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This transfer switch is on the newmar dutchstar that I have on order. I too have been debating the protection needs, and if it makes sense to place another device in front.

6 years ago, progressive industries was a great company with a great support policy. I had no problem buying and recommending their surge protector. That changed when it sold and their parts policy changed to not include end users. Now if a part goes bad, I have to take it to a service department and pay a fee to get any part. It is cheaper to just buy another unit...and that is the crutch of the problem with their so called lifetime warranty.

The transfer switch with surge is a great product from the specs. I dont think I would like the delay of power I would get from having 2 protectors in line.

The only concern appears to be of lightning striking twice. The first blows fuse and the second blows coach. I don't know if adding a 2nd protector fixes this or just gives me an extra at-bat.

As of now, I plan on using just the transfer switch protection and adding the display
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post

You would need the optional display to be able to check and see the error codes and to know if the fuse was blown.

Also if you were to get a good enough surge to blow the fuse, during the same event you could get another surge that could take everything out since the surge protection was not active.
We are getting closer. I re-read everything and cannot find if the fuse is field replaceable.. If it is we would have a decent unit without the need for an additional EMS just by carrying a spare fuse.

Even Amazon's site gives no information, which is really strange and makes one wonder. https://www.amazon.com/Technology-40.../dp/B00PUA56MM
Old 06-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
As of now, I plan on using just the transfer switch protection and adding the display
After reading more about it, I am leaning the same way. Sorry to hear about the "new" warranty procedures on the Progressive.
I will try to call Surge Guard today to get an answer on the fuse and if it is field replaceable.

Tags
switch, transfer switch