Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 05:17 AM   #1

Traveling from Middleburg to Spokane Early April

We've had some change in our yearly trip to the Pacific Northwest simply because it makes more sense to go straight from our AIR/PDI the last week of March directly to Spokane where we start our "summer" with May at the Spokane RV Resort in Deer Park. Thinking perhaps some of you have tried a similar route this early in the season en route to StoneRidge or such. Really like Hwy 2 across but likely temps and non-availability of RV parks so early make that an unlikely prospect.

Any tips on the easiest way to get through Chicago area and then hit I-90 or perhaps even drop down further to I-70 and not go north until Salt Lake?

Thanks in advance for inputs...

Have been to the Mother Ship a couple of times, just hope March goes out like a lamb this year.....
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I'm from Chicago and wouldn't go through Chicago unless I had no choice. But, I also have an iPass for the toll roads. If you want to avoid tolls your options are more limited.

I'd take I80/I90 west from Middlebury. Stay on I80 west at the southern tip of the lake and you'll miss Chicago entirely (I90 goes right through downtown). Take I25 north to I90 (at Cheyenne, WY) to Spokane.

If you want to take I90 most of the way take I80 west to I355 north to avoid downtown Chicago. I355 is a beautiful road, but it's also a toll road. It takes you west of O'Hare airport so you completely miss the city.

Good luck whichever way you choose.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

Middlebury to Spokane

Jim,
As Horace Greely said "Go west young man".
Take I-80W to I-84W. (This will take you South of Chicago)
Thence I84W to I15N. (This will take you North of Salt Lake City)
Thence I-15 N to I-90W to Spokane.

I believe that the longer you stay on the southern route, the better your chances of avoiding possible late winter weather in the Dakotas.

Fair winds and following seas...The Orca
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Traveling from Middleburg to Spokane Early April

Jim: A sure way to avoid Chitown is to come thru Central MS. It is only a slight detour on your way west. [emoji2]. Otherwise, have a safe trip. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #5

I'm going to give you a much different perspective on your route. We have actually stayed at the Walmart in Elkhart right on I-90 and then left Elkhart at 5 AM which is 4 AM in Chicago. We were able to zip right through downtown with no problems whatsoever. If you have an EZ Pass it makes the trip much easier. We also stayed on I-90 when we went to Oshkosh but it was mid-day. It was stop and go for a few miles but other than that it wasn't too bad. Coming back we did the loop around as others have suggested.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
This would be my choice, after clearing Chicago.

We live in northern UT so I will say with a fair amount of certainty that you will likely experience a snow storm in any of the northwestern states in the first two weeks of April. If it were me I would hug to the most southern route as previously suggested. I-80 would be my choice and is only about 100 miles further in difference. Besides there are two Cabela stores, with easy I-80 access , Omaha & Sydney, NE, available for overnight stays should you need them. Cabela's sure beats Wallmart's. If mainly for scenery I would choose the northern route. Either way worst that could happen is you might have to hold up somewhere for a day if roads are really bad. After a snow I won't travel on the salted roads until they dry to avoid road salt corrosion.

Happy Trails.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Jim: A sure way to avoid Chitown is to come thru Central MS. It is only a slight detour on your way west. [emoji2]. Otherwise, have a safe trip. Ed
Ed, Mr Rand and Mr McNally have occasionally tried to get a dubious routing by me but even I would not fall for a detour that far south, on the plus side though I'll put a few thousand miles on without threat of snow.

Thanks for the input guys, think blasting below Chicago at 5 AM Sunday morning sounds like a good plan and keeping on I-80/84 as far as possible. Also like the sound of Cabelas since I'll be going west with few stops as possible. Have never Wally World camped but did stay at Cabela's outside the UConn stadium and it seemed very secure. And yes, it will all be adjusted to avoid snow and salt residue on the roads.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Last time I stopped at Cabela's Sydney, NE, they have a paid RV Park and it was getting ratty compared to when it was new. The Omaha store is fairly new with nice parking.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Last time I stopped at Cabela's Sydney, NE, they have a paid RV Park and it was getting ratty compared to when it was new. The Omaha store is fairly new with nice parking.
Chuck, you may have missed it, drove right by it, Sydney has a free overnight area for trucks, RV's etc. About a dozen or so spots and some are sloped. For pays, one night back row for the 40+ ft are still OK for a night or two. Price ain't bad. I think it's Cabella's parent first site and where it all started. Impressive.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the overnight parking at Cabela's, Sydney location info. Has it been there long? I sure didn't see it our last time through, but there was a lot of construction going on at the time, they were building the new Corporate Quarters.
If it was a truck parking on the interstate, I would not have paid any attention to it.

The store is the original, we use to go there from Denver in the 70's for their annual clearance sale. Now it will all be owned by Bass Pro Shop.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We always travel across SD on the way to Northern ID, as opposed to Nebraska. Shorter.

One word of caution...that time of year, very susceptible to snow in several mountain passes in Montana. And when it snows, they require chains. That said, be prepared to spend a day or two if it is snowing in the passes.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel