Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Trip home from dealer gone bad

Some of you may recall my first post on this forum, entitled "switching from Thor to Entegra". I was obviously very excited when I went to pick up the coach from Camping world in Longmont, CO (yes that particular camping world is an Entegra dealer). The PDI went well and we had a very knowledgeable tech explaining what there was to learn in this complex machine. His name is Zach and, if you ever need some help in the Denver area, he is the go-to guy. After the PDI we first made a shake down trip to the Rocky Mountain National Park. Route 36 was closed so they sent us to route 7, a narrow, very curvy road. I was very impressed on how easy it was to drive this coach, when compared with the single axle Thor Palazzo I had before. Everything went well and there were just a few minor adjustments to make. They were very kind in letting us sleep in their place with electric and water hook-ups. Late in the morning of the next day we departed for our return home to Park City, UT. All went like clock-work until about 180 miles from Longmont on I-80, just east of Rawlin, WY. I had my cruise set somewhere in the 62-63 area, motoring on, at peace with the world, when Kaboom!, my right front tire blew up. I had seen the video on how to behave after a blow-up, acted accordingly, and coasted safely into the shoulder of the highway, away from traffic. Needless to say, this was completely unexpected, and, therefore, a very stressful situation. The tire had been reduced to fragments, and in the blow-up several wires were severed underneath the coach. For instance the jacks were not extendable any longer. This tire was a Michelin XZA 315/80/22.5, with just a couple thousands miles on it, the miles from the factory to the dealer, via Albuquerque. This happened on Tuesday the 24th. There were some difficulties in coordinating the transport back to the dealer, but now, it appears a tow truck will arrive in Rawling to pick it up and bring it back to Longmont. I cannot say enough good things about Jeremy at Entegra, Angelia at Progressive Insurance, Christie and Frank at Good Sam, who have been in contact with me to reassure me that everything will be taken care of. I am also happy that Jeremy told me that in Longmont there are excellent Spartan people to check the whole thing over, and I know that Zach and his people will do an excellent job on the coach side. Unfortunately, both of us, but especially my wife, were shaken up by this experience, and we are afraid that from now on, we'll be somewhat apprehensive, always waiting for a tire to blow-up. If this was an old tire, it would have been more acceptable, but a new Michelin?? Here is where this forum may help us. How many Entegra owners with new Michelin tires have had a blow-up? How many have had a blow-up with tires of any age and mileage? How did you manage your apprehension after the ordeal? How long did it take to feel comfortable again, and did the uneasiness ever go away completely? Thank you very much.

Mauro
2014 Entegra Anthem 42 RBQ
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Glad all got straightened out for you folks. We have well over a 250K miles on two different 40'' plus coaches without tire incidents.

It's like lightning strike odds...and now you have yours out of the way.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same thing happen to me in 2007, on a 3 1/2 year-old Goodyear tire. Ten thousand dollars of damage to the coach. Despite the youngness of the Goodyear tires I changed all the tires to Michelins, and drove them for 7 years and 50,000 miles with zero problems. I am now at 1.5 years and 12,000 miles on the Michelins on my new coach.

I think your problem was a fluke and you need not worry about it going forward.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Wow. First of all glad you guys are ok. I guess it had to be a fluke. I always bought Michelin for all my vehicles, this is my 1st motorhome though. Sounds like everyone is going to make it right and I hope you can get past this ordeal and have many many happy motoring miles ahead of you.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Man really sorry to hear this. My guess is this only happen once in a lifetime so you are good to go now.

We are the ones that need to worry if it hasn't happened to us I guess

I hung out on the Palazzo site with you. Good luck on the repairs

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Mauro,

I am glad to hear that you and your wife were not injured as a result of your blowout.

You remained calm and stayed in control of your coach.

You did well -- we are all proud of the way you handled the situation.

Stay confident in your abilities and your well-built coach.

Once again -- glad you guys are ok.

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So glad that you and your DW are OK. Kudos's to you for keeping your head and doing what was suggested in that Michelin tire safety video. To help all of us who drive these things, can you say how hard/easy was it to control the direction of the coach when you got on the throttle? How soon after your appropriate reaction were you able to let off the throttle and start slowing down?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Good job. Other than a fire you just handled the worst thing that you can have happen in a MH. Sorry it happened. Hang in there, it'll get better. I have family in Rawlins and believe me I know it is a "one dog town".
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

My husband & I had a different experience, but I think we can relate. We have a 43' Newmar Dutch Star and we have stayed in many different RV parks across the U.S. since purchasing it a little more than 2 year ago. As of today, we have stayed in all but 5 states in the lower 48. Last weekend we stayed at Gig Harbor RV Park in WA, which is listed in the Big Rig Best Bets guide book. The RV park has modern amenities with a more rustic feel, but it sits on a hillside with about a 10-12 % grade. Our parking space was about mid way up the hill and the spaces are wider than average. When leaving our space, we were required to go up hill. While trying to avoid a pick up truck that was part way in the road, my husband cut too close and ended up bottoming the back of the RV out so that he could not go backwards or forewards. So very grateful that another camper came to our rescue and offered to his F450 4 X 4 & 20,000 # tow strap. My husband told him that we were closer to 40,000 #'s, but also reminded him that he would not be pulling dead weight. The tow strap broke, but we had enough momentum to keep moving! The RV was sitting precariously on the hillside, so it was a very tense & stressful situation and not one that we'd care to repeat - EVER!!!! We are on our way back to our home state of MN and we are being VERY cautious when choosing an RV Park. We are also talking about downsizing to a smaller rig.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
peham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

Trip home from dealer gone bad

Glad it worked out so well.

Did the TPMS tell you anything before the blowout, like low pressure or high temp?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you truly want to have more protection from a front tire blow-out, I would install a pair of Tyron Bands into the front tires. Then also purchase the installation and removal tool from the dealer and carry it with you in the coach.

You are looking at about $2000 total but well worth the cost as some people have lost their lives to a front tire blow-out.

Here is the Tyron Band web site.

I have posted a link to your thread and description of what happened on the Monacoers Yahoo Forum so those members can read about your unfortunate situation with Michelin tires.

Were you using a TPMS? Was that particular tire low on air pressure? Did you possibly hit or pickup a road hazard item?

Has a Michelin representative inspected the tire for the cause of the blow-out?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
So sorry to hear this happened, sounds like you had great control. I don't read hardly any tires issues so I think you incidents is a fluke. Would it be possible something was on the road ? I once blew out the inside duel on our 3500 Ram traveling about 70 with the 5er on the back, when I got pulled over I was amazed to find a puncture in the sidewall 2" in from where rubber meets the road.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Mauro, sure sorry to hear of your plight. That was definitely not the way you wanted to break in the new MH. Glad you got it under coontrol and no body damage was done. That wait for the tow truck is the longest wait there is especially along side of a busy interstate.

I think Entegra is really good about weighing and tire pressure before it leaves the factory. I checked my tire pressure at delivery and they were all perfect. It was probably a defective tire which is very rare. I did have a blow out years ago on old tires. I replaced them, never let my tires get old again and never looked back. That was some time in the 80's and I am still RV'ing.

If it will give you piece of mind, you might want to look at installing a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I don't have one and not pushing them, but others swear by them.

Hope all of the repairs go perfect.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you truly want to have more protection from a front tire blow-out, I would install a pair of Tyron Bands into the front tires. Then also purchase the installation and removal tool from the dealer and carry it with you in the coach.

You are looking at about $2000 total but well worth the cost as some people have lost their lives to a front tire blow-out.

Here is the Tyron Band web site.

I have posted a link to your thread and description of what happened on the Monacoers Yahoo Forum so those members can read about your unfortunate situation with Michelin tires.

Were you using a TPMS? Was that particular tire low on air pressure? Did you possibly hit or pickup a road hazard item?

Has a Michelin representative inspected the tire for the cause of the blow-out?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, can any dealer install them if you have the tool? I checked the Tyron website to see if there are any dealers in Oregon (we are headed there) but the site asked me for a password.

Tags
dealer