Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

Turning off collision mitigation on 2017-18 and still have cruise control

Finally found out how to turn off the collision mitigation system on the 2017-18 coaches. It isn't an on the fly on/off, but here's how if you want/need to.
Before turning on the key press both up and down arrows on the display. While holding both arrows turn the key on. You can now release the arrow keys. Without turning off the key you can now start the mh and the collision mitigation will be off.
For cruise control to work turn it on/off/ and on again then hit the set key twice and cruise will work normal with CMS off.
When you shutdown and restart the CMS will be active unless you do the above again.
I'm not saying to do the above, but I know several people have been looking for a way to turn it on and off.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

JH

Thanks for figuring that out. I'm sure many inert will use that procedure sometimes to facilitate heir driving.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Anybody driving where there are potholes learns to hate anything that tries to keep one in a lane...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

J.H., thanks very much for posting this info. If you would, please comment on the following questions & clarifications.

You wrote:

”Finally found out how to turn off the collision mitigation system on the 2017-18 coaches. It isn't an on the fly on/off, but here's how if you want/need to.

Before turning on the key press both up and down arrows on the display. While holding both arrows turn the key on. You can now release the arrow keys. Without turning off the key you can now start the mh and the collision mitigation will be off.”

When I do what is outlined above, the Meritor/Wabco display shows the message in the first of the photos below. Is that the same thing you’re seeing (or similar)?

You wrote:

”For cruise control to work turn it on/off/ and on again then hit the set key twice and cruise will work normal with CMS off.”

I presume the “it” you’re referring to is the cruise control ON/OFF button on the left side of the steering wheel (see second photo below).

Assuming I’m correctly understanding everything you outlined, a more detailed version of the procedure would go like this:

1) Before turning on the ignition key, simultaneously press and hold the up and down buttons on the Meritor/Wabco display panel.

2) While continuing to hold the up and down buttons, turn on the ignition key and start the engine. The Meritor/Wabco panel will display “BOOTLOADER500K V1.02” or similar.

3) With the engine idling, press the cruise control ON/OFF button on the left side of the steering wheel three times, then press the SET button twice.

The cruise control will now operate normally (i.e., no ACC and no CMS) until the ignition key is turned off.

Thanks again for your post – much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img 003.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	201324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img 001.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	201325  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #5

Yes the it is the cruise control. The 17 screen remains dark, but that is what the 18 screen will show.
Larry, you don't have to hold the arrow keys while starting the engine, just while you turn the key on.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #6

darn ipad and my failure to re-read my posts

inert = owners and
heir = their

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
darn ipad and my failure to re-read my posts

inert = owners and
heir = their

Gary
I can read between the lines Gary!😀
Old 05-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Yes the it is the cruise control. The 17 screen remains dark, but that is what the 18 screen will show.
Larry, you don't have to hold the arrow keys while starting the engine, just while you turn the key on.
Thanks very much J.H. – I appreciate that clarification.

We're leaving on a trip next week and I'm eager to use this procedure, especially since we've been having issues with the ACC/CMS. During a recent trip, we had several instances where the system shut down, supposedly due to debris blocking the radar. When that happens you have NO cruise control. Not fun.

In the first instance there were a few bugs on the front-cap panel behind which the radar module is mounted. While we were fueling up at a truck stop I cleaned the panel, opened the generator compartment, and cleaned to front of the radar module itself. When we got back underway the cruise control system returned to working normally.

When the second shut down occurred, I pulled off the Interstate at a relatively deserted exit, checked the front cap panel, and found virtually no debris. With the engine idling, I cleaned the panel anyway, then went back inside the coach, shut down the engine, waited ten or fifteen seconds hoping for a system reset, and restarted. Got back on the Interstate and still had no cruise control. Drove on to our destination (which thankfully wasn’t too far away) without it.

That night I read up on the system and learned that when a situation like this occurs, it is necessary to shut the engine down for two to three minutes to clear the error codes. That explained why everything cleared up in our first instance (I had shut the engine down while fueling at the truck stop) and not in the second instance (when I only shut it down for ten to fifteen seconds).

While driving the next day, we had a third occurrence. Pulled off the road at a rest area, let the engine idle a few minutes to allow the turbocharger to wind down, shut the engine down, checked the front cap panel for debris, found virtually none, cleaned it anyway, waited the specified two to three minutes before restarting so the error codes would clear, restarted and went on our way – with the cruise control working normally.

Bottom line, I’m pretty much convinced the radar module has an issue (sensing debris when there is none) and may need to be replaced. In the meantime, if I can disable ACC/CMS and have normal cruise control I can be content with that. I’ll post any additional info I’m able to learn.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I would have used this proceedure for sure when we first got our camper, but by now, I have come to like/tolerate the system. I may try it some time just to see, but I'll probably keep it the way it came out of the box.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
I would have used this proceedure for sure when we first got our camper, but by now, I have come to like/tolerate the system. I may try it some time just to see, but I'll probably keep it the way it came out of the box.
Just another option Stu.
I hear you're in my old territory in Columbia Mo. Tell Bill Rajuski I said hello. He's worked on a lot of Spartan chassis since my 2007 Tiffin.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Finally found out how to turn off the collision mitigation system on the 2017-18 coaches. It isn't an on the fly on/off, but here's how if you want/need to.
Before turning on the key press both up and down arrows on the display. While holding both arrows turn the key on. You can now release the arrow keys. Without turning off the key you can now start the mh and the collision mitigation will be off.
For cruise control to work turn it on/off/ and on again then hit the set key twice and cruise will work normal with CMS off.
When you shutdown and restart the CMS will be active unless you do the above again.
I'm not saying to do the above, but I know several people have been looking for a way to turn it on and off.
I like the CM system just not the interface with the cruise control. When you state the CM is off do you mean the entire system or just the interface w/ the cruise? Oh, and how did you figure the procedure out.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
I like the CM system just not the interface with the cruise control. When you state the CM is off do you mean the entire system or just the interface w/ the cruise? Oh, and how did you figure the procedure out.
Dan, it just turns off the collision mitigation system, but leaves the cruise control operative.
Some people did or were talking about having it turned off permanently in the computer. This is a much better option and while you can't turn it on/off on the fly you can turn it off for whatever reason and still have your cruise control.
There have been a few times my cms system was inoperative I would have liked to had this option.
Spartan and Cummings repeatedly said it could not be turned off, but I have the prints and know a way to turn it off, although I wouldn't normally turn off a functional system.
Like I said in the first post as soon as you turn the key off and back on the cms system is fully operative again unless you do the above steps again.
By the way I tried it on a 200 mile trip today and worked like a champ.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Rollin 101

Could you send me a copy of the prints. I would like to install a on/off switch. I'm a EE and if it's possible I will share with others.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
Could you send me a copy of the prints. I would like to install a on/off switch. I'm a EE and if it's possible I will share with others.
. I figured out the procedure on my own. According to Spartan it can't be turned off period, but I know it can be with this procedure. Not sure about where you'd add an on/off switch.

Tags
cruise control