Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

"Twang" Noise from solid axle suspension

I have around 3000 miles on my Aspire. Since new, when I stop moderately and then start again with the wheel turned at least a third, it makes this weird hard, solid noise like something is shifting or releasing directly under the front. When I had it aligned, nothing was found...Ideas???
Thanks, guys.
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

You are right,

something is shifting where it is mounted to the chassis. This is a common issue and it is very hard to find the exact spot or mounting component that is making the noise.

For the most part, all of these axles move or shift sideward a small amount, but that move is supposed to be smooth so that you don't get that sudden pop, crack, or what ever you want to call it.

The front spring mounts are the first suspect, and the technician trying to find the exact source will have to pry between the mounts and the springs to try and get it to move.

From my experience resolving this mystery popping calls for, disassembly cleaning, and lubricating the parts before re-assembly as the only way to fix it. And that's doing all four mounting locations, as you may never find the (one) that is the trouble maker.

Note, it's normally a front mount that's dry inside, and this is hidden form sight until you disassemble it.

Some axle units have grease fittings on the ends of that front shaft. If you have them, try that first. You'll have to make sure the grease is purging from the shaft, If it's not, that has to be corrected.

Hope that helps

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

We have a 2015 Aspire and experienced a similar noise (more like a loud clang). Initially we heard the noise driving over bumps or railroad tracks and in turns. It was our equalizer jack system. The front jacks were hitting the frame. We had the control panel exchanged and then adjusted, did not fix the issue. We had Entegra and Equlizer work on them. After a few adjustments we have the noise almost entirely eliminated. We still hear a solid hit every once in a while, but don’t concern ourselves as much as we did initially.
mccombsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

mccombsj ,

Your jacks move with your suspension while driving?

Could you please provide a picture of that system, I'm learning something new every day.

THX

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
I have around 3000 miles on my Aspire. Since new, when I stop moderately and then start again with the wheel turned at least a third, it makes this weird hard, solid noise like something is shifting or releasing directly under the front. When I had it aligned, nothing was found...Ideas???
Thanks, guys.
I am almost same mileage as you, and I am also hearing a hard "knocking"
sound when turning left at bumpy intersections. It seems to be coming from the front end, but I've not identified what is hitting what.......yet.

I do want to mention that I found a LOT of the annoying noises I was hearing was coming from the bed frame in the sleeper sofa directly behind the driver's seat. That was more of a constant tapping, clanking sound (when on rough roads) and I have eliminated it with zip ties pulled tight around the tubular bed frames. IF we ever need to open up the bed, I'll just clip the ties.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
Thanks, guys.
One possibility could be your transmission. I don't know what year they started this but on my '16 Anthem, when I stop the Allis on shifts into neutral. When you take your foot off the brake pedal it shifts back into Drive but it takes a second. If you immediately accelerate you'll feel a bump when the trans engages. Probably not your problem if you only notice it when turning.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #7

I have a similar "Twang" in the rear but only during turns. Doesn't do it all the time. Definitely something metal in the back that clanks/clangs. Spartan is to be taking a look at it. I have read about some of the joints not being properly lubricated, I hope that's all it is. If not I'm going to have to crawl under there with a grease gun.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #8

I had a loud "clunk" when turning right from a higher street to a lower street. This put a twist on the chassis. I contacted Spartan CS and they sent me to Holt Caterpillar in San Antonio. I drove with the technician and finally found turning into their facility duplicated the noise each time. Technician thought it was the front axle. It end up being in the rear suspension. They re-torqued the torque box bolts to 150 pound feet and that cured the problem. My advice is to call Spartan.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:41 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The box bolts are something that is to be re-torqued in a few thousand mile. I only know of one person that has had it done unless it was a 44 point inspection at Spartan..

Dave DSL417 had a suspension noise a few years ago, maybe he can help. IIRC it took him awhile to find his.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The box bolts are something that is to be re-torqued in a few thousand mile. I only know of one person that has had it done unless it was a 44 point inspection at Spartan..

Dave DSL417 had a suspension noise a few years ago, maybe he can help. IIRC it took him awhile to find his.
I had my rear box bolts tightened at about 20,000 miles while at Spartan. They recommend having that done in your first 5000 mi ( oh well).

There was an owner there who bought a used 2012 Cornerstone and was attending the course. When they brought his coach in for the 44 point inspection they found his back axles had shifted about 3-4 inches right and tore up a bunch of stuff. The previous owner had not had his box bolts retightened. His insurance spent about $20k fixing that.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same noise in ours. When I had it at Entegra taking care of a few things they found the front sway bar was loose. They tightened them up and the noise was gone.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #12

Wow! I really didn't expect to hear ANYTHING back about this issue...I guess the same genetics can have the same characteristics! Thank-you, guys, for all your responses. If we can't regularly duplicate the issue, it does make it much harder to track down.
My '06 HR Ambassador also had an occasional noise under the front that sounded like it was falling apart--it turned out to be the Onan merely shifting on it's loose roll out tracks...
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #13

Check your generator locking system first to make sure it is secure, as any slight shift to the full lock position can make that loud twang sound. Especially if it wasn't engaged then while traveling it shifted and locked in place.

Sent from my iPhone 70NAM
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #14

Dtwallace Equalizer Jacks – We initially had a problem with the coach lurching forward 2 – 4 inches when we extended and retracted the leveling jacks. That was the reason for most of the adjustments and for exchanging the control panel. At a later date we developed the clanging noise from under the front end. A Spartan tech inspected our under carriage at the FMCA Rally in Perry, GA and did not find the cause of the noise. We had the Entegra Techs and Equalizer techs inspect and adjust the system while we were having other issues resolved at the Entegra Plant. I made two trips to the Equalizer Factory in Elkhart and they adjusted the mounting of the front jacks. That seemed to fix the issue. We still have an occasional noise, but not like it was before. So the jacks are not moving, but the frame did engage the jack when we kit bumps and in some turns. Long explanation, sorry, I hope that better answers what we encountered.
mccombsj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, suspension