Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Two AC Input Sources.

I assume this question is largely for 757Driver.

I have an Entegra Aspire. I happen to have 1,340 watts of solar on the roof. So far I haven't had much opportunity to use it... but we will later. We're full timers (just started less than a year ago) and we're still on the East coast.

At any rate, in the near future we'll be in a campground with only 30A. We're currently in the South and it's hot and humid. On 30A I imagine I can run the normal house stuff and I'm hoping/presuming one AC unit. I know I can run the house on 15A.

Perhaps I won't find myself in this situation ever again... but it got me thinking. It would be nice if I could isolate the 110V system into two sections... AC's and "all other" (house). Then I could run the house off of Solar / Battery and comfortably run an AC or maybe two off of 110V.

Any thoughts? Is this a totally crazy idea..? if so, please say so. I'm not afraid of the work or the wiring. I'm experience in those fields but I'm at a loss regarding the intricacies of the way the rig is wired and the way the multiple system's work together. There must be an 110V transfer device, probably an active device, not just a passive bus.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

Sounds like your looking to have the inverter assist when extra juice is needed. Think I have read where some Tiffins have this ability
KenZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 AM   #3

You would need to replace your inverter/charger with this.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/29403...3012m-inverter

When drawing more then 30 amps from shore power, it will supplement the power by using your battery bank.
The solar will help keep the batteries charged during these times and the inverter/charger will revert to charging when your not using all of the avalable shore power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Yup. That is exactly what the hybrid inverter is desgned to do.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun20 View Post
I assume this question is largely for 757Driver.

I have an Entegra Aspire. I happen to have 1,340 watts of solar on the roof. So far I haven't had much opportunity to use it... but we will later. We're full timers (just started less than a year ago) and we're still on the East coast.

At any rate, in the near future we'll be in a campground with only 30A. We're currently in the South and it's hot and humid. On 30A I imagine I can run the normal house stuff and I'm hoping/presuming one AC unit. I know I can run the house on 15A.

Perhaps I won't find myself in this situation ever again... but it got me thinking. It would be nice if I could isolate the 110V system into two sections... AC's and "all other" (house). Then I could run the house off of Solar / Battery and comfortably run an AC or maybe two off of 110V.

Any thoughts? Is this a totally crazy idea..? if so, please say so. I'm not afraid of the work or the wiring. I'm experience in those fields but I'm at a loss regarding the intricacies of the way the rig is wired and the way the multiple system's work together. There must be an 110V transfer device, probably an active device, not just a passive bus.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
To accomplish what you are suggesting with wiring would be very involved and complicated and may not be possible to run wires where you need to get them.

As others have suggested already a hybrid inverter may be just what you are looking for for load sharing/supplementing when on 30A service or less.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #6

Thank you all very much.

Yes the dual input inverter sounds like the cleanest, most reliable solution.

I appreciate the guidance.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

I used to do that all the time in the Monaco I used to have, and as soon as I get the solar on the roof of the Aspire, it will work here too.

The 110 volt stuff is all ready split in our coaches. The left breaker box is everything that has to run from shore power.
A/C's
Aquahot electric heater
Cooktop
washer dryer
fireplace
inverter. (charger)

The right hand panel is all the inverter stuff.
Basically everything else.

To separate them, the only thing you have to do is flip off the inverter breaker in the left breaker box.

It's really mislabelled, it should say charger, cause that's all it runs.
With it off, the magnum's inverter side will contiinue to operate normally.

So (only) the solar will charge the batteries
The magnum inverter will power the right hand breaker box normally.
And the left panel will power all of it's stuff from the 30 amp shore power.

It works, honest. Go flip your breaker and try it.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, I just learned something.....what a great way to make it work. Thanks for sharing that.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Yup. That is exactly what the hybrid inverter is desgned to do.
Both of the Magnum inverters on my Anthem are labeled on their boxes as Hybrid inverters. Is this part of the solar package? That might help explain the amazingly high cost for 2 100 watt panels and a little controller.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:49 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Both of the Magnum inverters on my Anthem are labeled on their boxes as Hybrid inverters. Is this part of the solar package? That might help explain the amazingly high cost for 2 100 watt panels and a little controller.
Interesting. I skipped solar this time around.....didn't work in inside storage I will have to check if the inverters are the same.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You would need to replace your inverter/charger with this.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/29403...3012m-inverter

When drawing more then 30 amps from shore power, it will supplement the power by using your battery bank.
The solar will help keep the batteries charged during these times and the inverter/charger will revert to charging when your not using all of the avalable shore power.
Just for Fun, check your current inverter, I have the solar option in my Aspire and that is the inverter Entegra has installed in my coach.
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Interesting. I skipped solar this time around.....didn't work in inside storage I will have to check if the inverters are the same.
Chuck, I believe Entegra installs the same inverters whether you opt for solar panels or not.

Like you, I passed on solar when we ordered our 2018 CS. I'm not adverse to running the generator and I figured we could buy a lot of diesel fuel for the cost of the solar option.

The inverters in our coach are Magnum MSH3012M's.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Chuck, I believe Entegra installs the same inverters whether you opt for solar panels or not.

Like you, I passed on solar when we ordered our 2018 CS. I'm not adverse to running the generator and I figured we could buy a lot of diesel fuel for the cost of the solar option.

The inverters in our coach are Magnum MSH3012M's.
I kind of figured they did being that all of the coaches are pre-wired for solar. Good to know that is a fact and they do have the 3012's.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I kind of figured they did being that all of the coaches are pre-wired for solar. Good to know that is a fact and they do have the 3012's.
Didn't know that but I'm glad to hear it. Should mitigate any disappointment the next owner may have regarding no solar panels.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote