Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you can't raise the bridge, lower the river.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oh wait....money needed.....nevermind.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
One of my routes to my fishing area in the Gulf coast has a 10'8" bridge with a gravel bypass I wouldn't want to drive my MH over.

I don't have to worry about it, DW won't let me take the coach to Port O'Connor to stink up with multiple days of "skinny water" fishing!

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #18

I thought it was standard that no bridges are to be no less than 13,6 on all highways and official freeways , at least that's what I understood
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
I thought it was standard that no bridges are to be no less than 13,6 on all highways and official freeways , at least that's what I understood
Freeways and scenic highways yes. All others are state regulated. As seen in the video, that low over pass was very well marked with flashing lights and signs. Driver error.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #20

You find a lot of lower clearance on the eastern part of the country because they were built a long time ago before standards were put in place.

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 10-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Getting ready to purchase a rig so I have been paying attention to this issue.

What I don't get is that MANY of the bridge markings are ON THE BRIDGE overhang itself. By the time I see them it would be far too late to do anything about it.

I plan to air up my diesel to ride night and get my clearances, but holy cow - it won't help if the first time I see a sign giving clearance is as I am approaching it at 35-50mph.

Do the computer apps really work to route you around wight and height problems if you input your height?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #22

Ugly!

Me thinks too many folks may be too paranoid about ramming low clearances that are clearly and early marked.
Trucks on your course? Yer good!
I read the signs and have never needed to adjust my course, except for that one time, on the dirt road in Maine, where my RV totally did not belong.
J'ever make a 9-point turnaround?
Chill!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #23

Ugly!

We take a LOT of two lane highways and some of them are state highways. We have found a few low clearances but they have always been marked far enough ahead to a find a way around them. We are very aware of height clearance signs because we do take so many back roads to have the experience of rural America. All JMHO

2014 MKT towed
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Me thinks too many folks may be too paranoid about ramming low clearances that are clearly and early marked.
Trucks on your course? Yer good!
I read the signs and have never needed to adjust my course, except for that one time, on the dirt road in Maine, where my RV totally did not belong.
J'ever make a 9-point turnaround?
Chill!
Wanna bet I can do it in eight?

The only low bridge I ever encountered on an divided 4 lane highway was someplace in rural Pennsylvania close by to Lancaster County. I remember the bridge but not its specific location.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
We take a LOT of two lane highways and some of them are state highways. We have found a few low clearances but they have always been marked far enough ahead to a find a way around them. We are very aware of height clearance signs because we do take so many back roads to have the experience of rural America. All JMHO

2014 MKT towed
X2 with Gene. Many years ago I came to a low underpass when I made a made a wrong turn in a small town. The low underpass was marked several blocks back and I was able to make a right turn and get back the the highway. That was way before the new RV GPS's....with a Big Rig GPS I don't think there would be a problem of not being notified of a low overpass.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW, In New York State bridges/overpasses are marked 1' LESS then they really are, for example if the bridge is labeled 13' 6" in reality it's 14' 6" UNLESS there is an additional sign along with the height sign that says "ACTUAL" then the clearance is as posted. The reasoning for this is 1) for insurance purposes, and 2) snow build up on the roads.
After 20+ years driving truck one item I'll NEVER be without in the coach is a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. It list all low clearances by state, authorized truck routes, restricted truck routes, and several other pertinent pieces of info.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:15 AM   #27

Just yesterday, we came to a 13 foot marked bridge. At 12'8" I proceeded under it and you should have heard the noise! It was awful! Just awful! No I didn't hit the bridge, the noise was coming from the right hand seat with my wife yelling "we're going to hit, we're going to hit, we're going to hit" louder and louder!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:24 AM   #28

The Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas also has a list near the front for every state and Canadian provinces of the routes that have less than 13'6" bridge underpasses, bridge design, etc. However, that is only for STAA dimensioned vehicles. Their list is compiled from the official state DOT lists. However, the list only includes low clearance locations on STAA approved routes, so those inner city low bridges and overpasses constructed back in the early 1900s are still a major risk. However, if my route takes me off approved routes, I am very vigilant about any underpass....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote