RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #1

Uneven Toad Rear Driver's Side Tire Wear

I've noticed the last few times that I have towed our '17 Expedition EL, the driver's side rear tire is wearing on the outside. The tires are properly inflated to the OEM's specs using a good tire pressure gauge when the tires were cold. I also carry an Allen Sports bike rack in the trailer hitch of the Expedition with 4 mountain bikes strapped in.

I would expect some uneven wear on the front tires, but not necessarily on the rear. Has anyone else experienced this type of wear? Could the bike rack be causing the wear? The Expedition does have IRS so maybe I need a 4 point alignment. Thoughts?

I will post a picture of the tire wear tonight. Here is a picture of my towing set up (Blue Ox Avail Tow Bar and a 4 inch drop hitch(not attached in photo)).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coach-Expedition.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	251793  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #2

Probably rear alignment. May have curbed it hard?

A defective tire with broken belts will also wear unevenly. Usually in an elliptical pattern. If it's evenly worn all around the outside tread edge only, it's alignment.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

Agree with Finance.... towing would not seem to be responsible for this. If you have independent rear suspension, I would guess in that direction.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

A defective tire with broken belts will also wear unevenly. Usually in an elliptical pattern. If it's evenly worn all around the outside tread edge only, it's alignment.

Don't believe that I curbed it while towing, but it is my wife's daily driver and the roads here in northern MD are horrible. New tires and an alignment are coming.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestew3 View Post
Don't believe that I curbed it while towing, but it is my wife's daily driver and the roads here in northern MD are horrible. New tires and an alignment are coming.
I just had to replace a rear tire on my toad. I know I never hit anything, but there was a big gash in the side wall. It does happen and we have no explanation, but to fix it I would also lean towards alignment after my own recent personal experience.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I just had to replace a rear tire on my toad. I know I never hit anything, but there was a big gash in the side wall. It does happen and we have no explanation, but to fix it I would also lean towards alignment after my own recent personal experience.

That's the funny part, there is no wheel damage, gashes or ripples from broken bands in the tire. I always place my bare hands on the tires during fuel stops to get a sense of the temps, the last stop I could see rubber on my hand from the tire. It makes me wonder if the LSD may be causing wear uneven wear during tight turns.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #7

FYI, Iíd be careful handling tires bare handed as thatís a good way to really hurt yourself if something isnít right. I busted tires for a number of years and if something is sticking out of the tire such as a wire, or road debris, youíll take it in the hand before you realize what happened.

I always inspect with leather gloves on.

Iíd suggest a decent IR Thermometer instead.

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm going to follow this thread just to see what's wrong, I have never heard of that problem before.

For what it's worth...I carry an IR gun and shoot all my tires every time I stop. Good exercise and gives me a chance to eyeball the whole rig in case something has gone wrong.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

From my experience and your description it appears that your tire is scuffing on the highway which would be consistent with an alignment issue. All wheel alignment is cheaper than a tire.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my thoughts...alignment
my 2016 i got 30k miles out of the hankooks they started chunking the edges, we have HORRIBLY over traction coating on our farm roads, big rocks 1/4 to 3/8 coated in asphalt and this ate em up

i have 32 k on her now and my alignment is dead on

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
my thoughts...alignment
my 2016 i got 30k miles out of the hankooks they started chunking the edges, we have HORRIBLY over traction coating on our farm roads, big rocks 1/4 to 3/8 coated in asphalt and this ate em up

i have 32 k on her now and my alignment is dead on

Thanks. I figured as much about the alignment. What tires did you replace the Hankooks with? I have been pretty happy with the Hankooks.

Ted
Old 07-02-2019, 04:50 AM   #12

Here is the tire wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Tire.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	251884  
Old 07-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I just replaced the toad Goodyuk tires with Coopers. Still made in America, nationwide service including all PepBoys stores. Heck of a deal shopping online, took it to a PepBoys store and asked if they would match it, they did and threw in lifetime balancing and flat repair.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, toad