Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

Unexpected Layover in El Paso, TX - Continued

I found that this thread has been closed, but of course, the resolution has never been posted and I would really like an update on the status of this issue. Russell, what has transpired??? This thread created quite an uproar and you were pretty mad and there were lots of serious questions about what happened, and what were the causes, so I think all of us that were part of that discussion need to know the status and final resolution, if there is one.

I can add some information that is related. I am just now taking possession of my 2015 Anthem and during the PDI yesterday, i really took a close look at the fan from the standpoint of road debris. Let me say that on my Anthem, there is a full black plastic shroud around the fan. The fan sits immediately behind the shroud. There is virtually no space between the fan blades and the shroud. More important, the diameter of the fan blade opening is a good deal smaller than the actual size of the radiator, so the shroud acts sort of like a funnel or cone which is small near the fan blades and expands as it goes to the radiator.

As I remember your pictures, the damage to the radiator was to the bottom edge of the radiator. My opinion is that there is no way that small debris picked up by the blades would be thrown into the bottom of the radiator. They would be thrown into an area nearer the the center of the radiator, not near the periphery. Just my opinion, but it is pretty clear to me that is what would happen. Just FYI to everyone on the list who was interested.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Glad you made the post Gary, I was wondering the same-thing the other day.

Like you, I inspected mine and attached photos on the previous post. I didn't see how road debris could penetrate the channel iron frame the radiator sits in or the fan shroud attached to the frame.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While obviously not an Entegra owner, I am also curious how it worked out when Spartan got the old radiator back for inspection. IMO, there is just no way the fan could throw anything toward the inside of the cooling pack since side radiator fans are pulling air from the outside-in. I think even if you threw some small rocks at the spinning fan from the inside, it would just blow them back at you. Most of these things have high hp hydraulic motors spinning that fan and that is a lot of air moving toward the engine, not toward the radiator.

I'm betting that radiator was damaged during manufacture/install on the coach and it just took some miles before it sprung a leak.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am uncleat, was the damage on street side or engine side of the radiator? Does anyone know for sure?
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting this came up today.........I have stayed in contact with Russell, back an forth, but it is not my place to inform.........He has not been on here except to PM since his thread was closed I believe....Maybe he will check in with us?
Street side, bottom......
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Interesting this came up today.........I have stayed in contact with Russell, back an forth, but it is not my place to inform.........He has not been on here except to PM since his thread was closed I believe....Maybe he will check in with us?
Street side, bottom......
If you would ... please ask him to post an update ... Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry0312 View Post
I am uncleat, was the damage on street side or engine side of the radiator? Does anyone know for sure?
This is the first time I have known it was indeed the street side of the radiator. That does change things for sure.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
This is the first time I have known it was indeed the street side of the radiator. That does change things for sure.

Thanks for the clarification.
From the original thread post#34
Add on: This is exactly why I had such a hard time with what "They" said happened to the radiator........
QUOTE:
The air is being pulled in from the outside. There is no other damage anywhere around or inside the fins or to the fan blades. The leaks are coming from the bottom of the radiator as well as from pin holes on the sides. I was driving down I-10 heading east 2 hrs out of El Paso when we stopped to change drivers. I happen to do a walk-around and noticed the coolant pouring out of the coach. Had no idea we had a leak until then. Standard highway driving. No backwoods gravel roads. No doughnuts in a gravel parking lot or fishtailing.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #9

Hello once again. I am the original poster for this thread and have stayed away from the site for reasons I really cannot go into. I can say that the final word from Spartan was that it was caused from road debris. I cannot tell you how it happened only that this was what I was told. I asked the question - what would prevent this from happening again? The answer - they don't know, only that they have only seen a few of these happen. So I guess I wait and see if it happens again. Don't really know what to do to prevent it.

I am heading to Entegra the first week in March to get about 20 other items looked at and hopefully resolved.

I am going to make one more comment and then I will be done for the time being. I have heard from several other Entegra owners who are dealing with far more than I. To the point where attorney's are involved. They stop posting on the forum due to the blasting they get from other Entegra owners. Its a shame!!! No way to know what is truly going on with all Entegra Owners as the board is now jaded.

Thank you for all the interest and I wish you all very safe travels.
rcarriere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #10

Russel,

Thanks for the update and understand that you don't want to say more at this time. Know this has been hard on you and your bride, hopefully you can get back in the mood to resume travels. Wish you well and happy travels.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear all this. Thanks for letting us know :-(
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Russell, thank you for the update and I wish it were better news. I know what you are going though and I hope it turns out well for you. I know how frustrating it is and I don't wish it on anyone. Best of luck with everything.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It is a sad state of affairs when Entegra owners cannot support each other in these times when some owners have major problems with their new coaches.

I own a 2002 Monaco 40 Foot Windsor that was affected with the fiberglass problem that showed up with many different brands of RV's back in that era.

It is called Thermal Checking and requires ALL of the fiberglass to be removed and completely start over again with new fiberglass walls. The bay doors were not affected since they are sheet metal.

It would cost in the neighborhood of $50-$60,000 to fix it correctly. Trust me, that is NOT going to happen so I just live with it. But I know that many others are in the same boat. Some people have spent thousands to have it covered up with new paint only to find out years later that it comes right back.

I have not had any Monaco owners or SOB's ridicule me for knocking Monaco and the lack of quality with their fiberglass used way back when it was a HOT topic. It is what it is and it's not going to get fixed. I believe that specific problem was one of the main reasons Monaco filed for bankruptcy.

Even though it is a huge major expense to fix it I am fortunate that the main important drive-train components are intact and functioning well.

From a distance you would never know but get close and you would be sick to your stomach especially when looking at the main entry door panel which is the worst and you see it EVERY time you enter the coach.

All I can say to the Entegra owners is Get a Life. Your Entegra Coach is not the best and most important thing in this world.

What is important is helping others cope with any problems that they may have and support them through their ordeal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #14

^^^^^^
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote