Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Update as our saga continues to develop and change.....

Hello Entegra Folk.....Just an update on where we are with our plans..
Some of you may recall my Dw and I are planning the purchase of a new Anthem or Cornerstone if Jana has her way ( after 21 years of marriage i already know the answer to that one.. ) And yes she deserves it😘. Jana's sudden illness forced us to put off our plans for a little while. She is doing much better now and on the mend. After much number crunching i decided that its just a bit to early for me to Retire fully from the work force. (SS would like some more money from me as well) . Having been a professional Chef for 34 years i saw a marked decline in the food service industry over the last 5-8 years. Like many things today its not what it used to be.. Loyalty to a company is not repaid in kind in the Chef World.We are both in our early 50's btw. My focus theses days is concentrated on the RV industry and all things MotorHomes and the like. I have always been very handy and have had an insatiable need to know how things work. As I was spending so much time at various dealerships i thought why not try to get on board and still earn for a few more years as well as be close to what i love and learn as much as i can from the bottom up. ( a method of learning i believe 100% in.. Crawl before running) A future fighting back stabbing and politics in the restaurant business for the next 10 years was not attractive at all. Besides.. Our Full time plans for the future will be a big change for us.. Why not a career change as well. Dive in Face first! . Well i did just that.. Applied on a whim and landed a job with a dealer of choice. A good job working parts warehouse/counter ect with a family run dealership. I start next week. Dw seems happier than I am .. Shes obviously not ready to have me under her feet 24/7 yet. Lol i dont blame her. I did assure her that when the time comes to fully retire.. I have a list of Mods to do.. She will never see me..😘

Currently we are 90% sure it will be a Cornerstone. I could use your help here guys.. Im toying with the idea that since I'll be working full time i will only have a few days a week to use the coach. Not the Full time use we initially envisioned. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a used coach gasser/desiel in the 29 -34 foot range to get our feet wet with. I'm not to terribly concerned with resale but would use it as a trade when the time came for the BigBaby. My thought process is the Cornerstone would be aging when we were finally able to use it full time? Have any of you used similar logic? Or would it not really matter? I also thought that the first two years would be primarily a shake down time anyway and after the first year of employment i would have enough vacation time for the Entegra Factory visit. I'm thinking we would full time in the 3-10 year range...
2 weeks a year could definitely work for us and this plan would make it possible to finance a portion instead of the cash deal we originally considered. I have a sizable stock portfolio that managed correctly covers the monthly/and living expense on possible finance. Im fortunate to have a firm managing it for our family for the last 40 years.

Thanx for anyone who reads this book for bearing with me. I am grateful to be a member and future supporter in this forum and have contact with whom i believe to be genuinely good helpful people. We cant wait to meet you all in person. Its a super Exciting Time in our Lives!
Bright Blessings Robert & Jana Stanton

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem or Cornerstone
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Robert, hope you won't be a stranger here, I enjoy your posts and logic.

An idea came to mind reading your post.........why not a used Travel Supreme? It would get you into lower priced used coach with the Entegra feel and quality. Moving up from a TS is like old home week with modern feature. Everything tinker wise is the same on the TS as it is the Entegra. Only drawback on your list would be size...they start at 38 ft, but it is an awesome 38 ft. There was an earlier 36 ft but not many of those around. Just a thought.

Glad to hear Jena is doing better, but I don't envy you going back to work full time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

An idea came to mind reading your post.........why not a used Travel Supreme? It would get you into lower priced used coach with the Entegra feel and quality. Moving up from a TS is like old home week with modern feature. Everything tinker wise is the same on the TS as it is the Entegra. Only drawback on your list would be size...they start at 38 ft, but it is an awesome 38 ft. There was an earlier 36 ft but not many of those around. Just a thought.

Glad to hear Jena is doing better, but I don't envy you going back to work full time.
Robert,
I have posted a few times on a few forums. I think your plan to purchase a good used coach until..........is a great plan.
I have owned a lot of coaches, last one being a Newmar Essex. I have a Cornerstone 45B being built right now. I did an incredible amount of detailed thought and research prior to buying the Cornerstone. As the manufacturer was much a part of the equation, so was the dealer and eventually where the coach would be serviced outside of the factory.
My Cornerstone was delayed as a result of a few mid year changes being done. I am really OK with that! The dealer Beaver Coach Sales in Bend Oregon chose to loan me a coach until the Cornerstone rolled in! That is so above and beyond anything from any dealer that I have ever dealt with. Having just sold our house, that gesture was magic! Anyway, Ty, the Owner has a few used Beaver Marquis that he has here that are absolutely pristine. Beaver was one of the premiere coaches on the road. He has loaned us one of these. They are like almost new with every option that is on present day high line coaches. Cat C-12.
The prices on these few are in the $130K range. You would have paid in the $400's not that many years ago. These have been babied and are the most coach that I have seen for this money. Ask anybody that knows coaches about the old Marquis. This dealer is amazing. The bought all the old Beaver factory. They do exquisite remodels and the best tech work on the West Coast. I am really glad that they are an Entegra dealer. If I were considering what you are, I would strongly consider checking these out. This is the kind of deal that you would probably dive enjoy and lose no money!! PM if you need more info.
Cheers
Harvey
oceanmoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:

Robert.
I replied to your post in BROBOX (Chuck). I clicked the wrong post to reply to. The reply was to your post
oceanmoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

RR,

A good idea, but make sure the coach is sufficient to meet your living requirements you've already researched out. You'd hate to be turned off because you chose a coach that doesn't reflect how DW and you want to live. Beaver, TS, Newmar from the 2008 time frame might be a good starting point, but make sure it has been vetted well. beaver Coach out in Bend has an excellent reputation. I second the other OP's recommendation.
DLaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, whats the problem?
We were waiting till the wife could retire (I retired in 1999 after 30 years with the WA DOT) then did IT contract work till the bottom dropped out.
In 2008, shortly before the DW was going to put in her retirement papers her daughter dies and we took in the two grandkids. Oldest has now left but the youngest just started high school. Then, about 3 years ago the DW's health went bad, now going in to the hosp next month for the 14th time but this is just a third operation for hernias. The others have been to the ER and ICU for vomiting blood.
Still not much better and no idea what's causing the underlying problem.
Now, back to your question: DO IT!!! You'll be far happier!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Robert, If you decide and can find a nice..... dated TS...I have a folder full of "how to" photos on updating the TV's etc on a TS that I would be more that happy to share with you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Robert, If you decide and can find a nice..... dated TS...I have a folder full of "how to" photos on updating the TV's etc on a TS that I would be more that happy to share with you.

Should I decide that route and tbt.. I already started looking in classifieds.. Ill defo take you up on your offer. And no i wont be a stranger here... The hamsters spin continuously in this head. Thanks for the different POV's its priceless to me

Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
I personally would not put out the $$ for a Cornerstone unless we were going to be using it a lot. We will be in ours at least six months a year.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
I personally would not put out the $$ for a Cornerstone unless we were going to be using it a lot. We will be in ours at least six months a year.

Thats was the original plan... Then work reared its ugly head..lol

Old 09-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Best of luck Robert and Jana, wish you the best.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneal View Post
Best of luck Robert and Jana, wish you the best.

Thank you .. We aren't going anywhere just regrouping a bit. We are hopelessly bitten by the Entegra Bug and only know of one cure. Btw. Are you the Oneal Family featured in Entegra Connection ? If so i hope you dont think this to forward but both Dw and I throughly enjoyed the article and were delighted to read about the enjoyment your son,Jr. gets out of the experience. We have a severely CP afflicted niece. She always "Lights Up" anywhere near the car. My brother tells me Emily has always been stimulated by motion and car rides were one of the only peaceful ways of calming her and giving her joy. He is excited for us to come visit and try camping with Emily. Several doctors have suggested it seems to have good results.. Another big plus for us.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Community Moderator

My advice......if you can afford the coach and still have a way to get monthly income from your investments....DONT WAIT! As others have already said, you only have your health until one day you don't. DO IT NOW!

If you think the finances are shaky, buy a used less expensive coach, and use the $150K
difference to pay you additional 15K yearly for 10 years.

Believe me.....if I was in your situation, I would be rolling down the road already,

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Oceanmoho

I think that is an amazing story about Beaver Motorcoach. Congrats on your Cornerstone order. I know somebody looking for an RV and I wish I could talk them into one of those Beavers you describe!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote