RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Verizon Hotspot PSA

I run an IT company and need to be connected 95% of the time. I have found Verizon has the most service even though ATT seems to have faster service with less bars. I dont want to start the who is better argument but just a PSA from a recent visit to a Verizon store with a very helpful manager. I went in to buy as much data as I possibly could as I use a lot. There are 100gb and 200gb packages available but you are going to spend over 1000 dollars a month so we started brain storming on how to get as much data (Un-throttled) as possible and this is what I ended up with. I bought a Mifi device with a 15gb plan for $199 dollars for the device and 20 dollars for the monthly plan. My original intention was to then just buy 3 more of the same 199 device and 3 more SIM cards for a total of 60gb per month for 80 dollars. Then we thought why cant I just buy the sim cards and swap them out. YES!!!! I can do that. So 1 device for 199 dollars and 4 SIM cards. (The device monitors usage on the card so you know when to switch the SIM out).

Hope this helps someone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Clever, thanks for the idea.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Interesting !!! Interesting way to deal with it. I was very surprised to find that my unlimited Verizon MIFI unit (just like yours) was unlimited up to 15 Gigs, which is not a lot of bandwidth. Very disappointed in the throttle down speed.... almost worthless and unusable. I was also one of the lucky guys to get a Mobley from ATT that appears to actually be unlimited at least up to now or the downspeed is not too bad. However, the 15 Gigs from Verizon is a POS in my opinion.... unlimited is unlimited in my book.

And we have found the last RV park we were in in upper Peninsula had excellent ATT coverage and virtually no Verizon signal. Here, we are in Baraga, upper peninsula, both ATT and Verizon are equally good. A place defore Bailey's Harbor, we had excellent Verizon and ATT. Now if you really depend on broadband access, you may find that you are going to have to do the same thing.... have both providers or you will be moving from one bad Verizon place to a better Verizon place regardless of how many gigs of data you have available. Just my experience in about 4 years of travel now....

A question.... where do you buy extra SIM cards and how much do they cost, and I assume that you pay $20/month for each of them???????

Good luck and thanks for the great idea of how I might be able to double my Verizon bandwidth.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We have a grandfathered ATT unlimited plan with a unite explore hotspot connect to a $30 netgear mimi paddle antenna mounted to the inside of the window with suction cups. We consistently have ~30MBPS download speed. Have been coast to coast and only spot it didnít work well was the Grand Canyon Trailer Village. My verizon hotspot did not work well there either.

I routinely use about 120gig of data per month. FMCA has come out with a similar unlimited ATT plan for $360 a year but you have to buy there equipment and requires you mount an antenna on the roof. If I remember correctly it is a true unlimited hotspot plan which is on subject to network management. That just means that if you have exceed your high speed limit your tower request drops lower in the que. I have never noticed any slow down.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #5

With Verizon, each SIM card is $20.00 and is assigned its own phone number. One monthly bill to deal with.
Iíve got 3 cards plus my phone x15 gigs. Still need to look into ATT as our secondary phone service.
So far, the mini/jet pack works well....but I want to look into an antenna as Herbís.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I have the MiFi at 15gig. But when I get close to that 15Gig limit, I use either my DW's phone or my phone as a hot spot for an additional 30Gig. So total with phones is 45Gig.

I'm assuming then that you're paying an additional $20 per month for each sim card ?

Thanks

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
There is another option to add - att wireless home internet

I used it for about 9 mts before we got the Verizon prepaid unlimited and it worked well "had the 100 gig plan for about $120 - 130 total"

Just an FYI because it looks like you just joined in Aug - keep checking the Forums weekly if you don't - normally when something new is available - it hits the Newmar Owner's Forum / Entegra Owner's Forum / Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. - and keep in mind that anything you are using, you mite want to drop in 6 mts because something better is available.

examples in the last 1.5 years - that are no longer available
second round of the Mobley
Verizon prepaid unlimited

https://www.att.com/buy/connected-de...net-black.html

safe travels
Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Netgear Mimo Antenna 6000450 2 TS9 ports. https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-60004.../dp/B00DN3J03O.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Not sure if it will help anyone but FMCA has a Verizon Unlimited MiFi plan that gives you 25G before throttling for 49.99/mo. We were able to transfer our existing MiFi to that plan. Using that and the Mobley we have been able to reduce the data plan for our phones and ended up cutting our Verizon bill.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #10

We use the Sprint FMCA $50/ month deal. We regularly use close to 200 Gig a month in data and haven't been throttled yet in the 4+ months we have had it.

There seems to be a discrepancy about where the FMCA deal is truly unlimited or not, but so far we haven't experienced any throttling.

Steve
Old 08-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Same Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee View Post
I run an IT company and need to be connected 95% of the time. I have found Verizon has the most service even though ATT seems to have faster service with less bars. I dont want to start the who is better argument but just a PSA from a recent visit to a Verizon store with a very helpful manager. I went in to buy as much data as I possibly could as I use a lot. There are 100gb and 200gb packages available but you are going to spend over 1000 dollars a month so we started brain storming on how to get as much data (Un-throttled) as possible and this is what I ended up with. I bought a Mifi device with a 15gb plan for $199 dollars for the device and 20 dollars for the monthly plan. My original intention was to then just buy 3 more of the same 199 device and 3 more SIM cards for a total of 60gb per month for 80 dollars. Then we thought why cant I just buy the sim cards and swap them out. YES!!!! I can do that. So 1 device for 199 dollars and 4 SIM cards. (The device monitors usage on the card so you know when to switch the SIM out).

Hope this helps someone.
I too am a IT person.
I switched to PrePaid Verizon unlimited for $45 a month if you have other lines and auto pay with a CC. otherwise by itself it's $65
It is truly unlimited with no throttle of BW.
I've used over a 100gb in the same month with no issues or slow downs.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

Then buy the 8800 Jetpack for $199. Dual Antenna, works great!
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinantholt View Post
I too am a IT person.
I switched to PrePaid Verizon unlimited for $45 a month if you have other lines and auto pay with a CC. otherwise by itself it's $65

Did you move the Sim card from a phone to the 8800? Would that plan work with a pepwave or cradlepoint router?

2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinantholt View Post
I too am a IT person.

I donít see anything resembling that plan on the link shown. Is the plan still available?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
I donít see anything resembling that plan on the link shown. Is the plan still available?
The Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Jetpack plan was discontinued several months ago. Those of us who have the plan are grandfathered in as long as we keep renewing it monthly. It truly is unlimited with no throttling; however, since it is prepaid, it is a lower priority than postpaid devices, and this lower priority can result in not so great performance if the cell towers are crowded. I joined that plan when it first came available last November, and moved my Jetpack from a postpaid plan to the prepaid plan and immediately noticed a drop in speed. This was in Tucson, and I can only guess the towers had a lot of traffic. In January we moved to a park in Mesa, and performance on the Jetpack was great -- 50-60 Mbps. My experience with this plan is consistent with others who have had poor performance in some locations.

RLH241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon