Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Viair 400P-RV Compressor Kit

After trying to air up our Anthems tires using coach air before departing our site in the A.M. I realize that a portable compressor is probably a better idea then running the coach at fast idle.

I am looking at the Viair 400P-RV kit and would appreciate any comments from others that use this unit. How long to say air up the front time from say 110 to 120PSI? Or the TAG to 90PSI from say 70.

My recent neighbor last night let me use his porta cable unit 2.3 cfm / 150 PSI and it seemed to work well too, cheaper than the Viair, but a bit more bulky. The one advantage of the Porta Cable is that I believe it could run some air tools as it can build up presure in the tank.

Any info is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 AM   #2

Hi Jim, I cannot comment on the Viarr as I went through the same thoughts as you and decided on a small Lowes 150 PSI compressor which easily airs up our tires if needed AND I still carry air tools too which come in handy on some projects. The Kobalt Lowes compressor was purchased on sale for $99 and I added a water seperator in line. Yes it takes up more room but as all things RV there are trade offs !
Probably only you can decide what is best for you !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #3

Jim

I have and have used the ViaAir pump now for the past 6 months or so. I bought it from Amazon and bought it at the recommendation of Pat (our ECOA President). I am very impressed with it at this point. I have used it to air up my front Michelin tires to 125# and it did it in reasonable time. I cant tell you how long but it was not a long time. It is much quieter than the Porter Cable air compressor (sold by Lowes) which I know as a pancake type compressor. I did not buy a pancake for the exact reason that you mentioned..... it is bulkier and takes up a good deal more room in the basement than the ViaAir (and is annoyingly loud when running) which is small and comes with a wide array of tools needed to air up and also contained in a very nice canvas type bag. It did the job and it did the job well, and the ViaAir now has a standard place in the front right passenger side compartment on my 2015 Classic Anthem. Im sure Pat will respond to you too, but I have not given my purchase a second thought.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #4

I bought a similar compressor to use to air up the jeep.
Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor.

Surprised that it works well enough for MoHo tires.
10 minutes to increase from 80 to 100 PSI.
It does get hot so only two tires were done at a time.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #5

Can't beat the Viair system. I've used it for 2 years and it's flawless.
LB2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #6

If you do go with the Viar or similar type compressor make sure it is rated at 100% duty cycle. It makes a difference as to how long it will run without overheating.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
If you do go with the Viar or similar type compressor make sure it is rated at 100% duty cycle. It makes a difference as to how long it will run without overheating.
That is an important consideration. The 400C is only rated at a 33% duty cycle, which according to the manual means 19 minutes maximum runtime and then a 41 minute resting time. I installed the 450C in our coach because it is rated at 100% duty cycle. It also draws 23 amps whereas the smaller 400C draws 32 amps.

By mounting it in the basement you can backfeed the air tanks via the auxiliary quick disconnect coupler.

I find that the compressor does a good job of topping off the tanks prior to raising the jacks and bringing the slides in. You want to have the coach at ride height prior to retracting the slides and if you don't run the engine (or the compressor) when you retract the jacks you won't fill the suspension bags. The Viair is much quieter than running the engine, which is nice for those early morning "don't wake the neighbors" departures but it is slower. If you are fairly off level you'll still need to run the engine at fast idle during the time the jacks are retracting because the air is rushing to fill the air bags quite fast. However, by starting out with full tanks, courtesy of the Viair compressor, this time is drastically shortened.

It's also a big help if you have a Cornerstone and are using air leveling rather than jacks.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Porter Cable makes pancake style compressors as well as another smaller form factor that is popular and works well. I have one of the smaller, and used to have a pancake.

A search here on 'Porter Cable' will find pictures and links. I bought from Amazon for somewhere around $100 landed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Mark

I agree.... and mine is the 450 and the Amazon cost is virtually the same.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
YC1

The Vair has been very handy. It is mounted up high in a small outside cabinet and held on with wing nuts so I can loan it out if necessary.

I lengthened the power cables so they reach my batteries without removing the pump.With the two hoses it reaches everwhere I need it.

In that same cabinet is a Harbor freight pressure washer. Stripped of its handle it fits nicely in there and with an additional hose it reaches everywhere I need it to. Water ils provided by a hose run to the water bay and connected via a quick disconnect.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
I chose a different route than most and bought a Powertank. It's considerably more expensive than an electric compressor, but also considerably faster and more convenient. The variety of chucks and the gauge that came with the unit I bought are extremely sturdy and well made. Based on my usage in the first 4 months I estimate I'll have to have it filled about every 2 to 3 years.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I, too, have the 450. It just works!.....

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
BUT.......

I'm anxious to try out the locking air chuck that just makes the air hose part of the air system. I finally got the correct quick disconnect that will make it worl. I'll let you know.

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
After trying to air up our Anthems tires using coach air before departing our site in the A.M. I realize that a portable compressor is probably a better idea then running the coach at fast idle.

I am looking at the Viair 400P-RV kit and would appreciate any comments from others that use this unit. How long to say air up the front time from say 110 to 120PSI? Or the TAG to 90PSI from say 70.

My recent neighbor last night let me use his porta cable unit 2.3 cfm / 150 PSI and it seemed to work well too, cheaper than the Viair, but a bit more bulky. The one advantage of the Porta Cable is that I believe it could run some air tools as it can build up presure in the tank.

Any info is appreciated.
For my money, I would go with the 450P which has a 100% duty cycle. Not a lot more money.

Tags
compressor