Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wandering Aspire

I like the ride and handling of my Aspire, more than my old Monaco. And that one had many thousands of $$$ in ride enhancements... ten 60mm shocks, custom sway bar, Saf-T-Plus. Except for one thing... the Aspire tends to wander on the highway, requiring constant steering wheel inputs.

On my Monaco, the one thing that cured wandering was adjusting the slack in the TRW steering gear. A simple, quick process and the coach ran like it was on tracks.

Wondering if there may be some adjustment option on a 2015 Aspire? Or any other suggestions?
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

How about a front end alignment? Being a 15 model it could be out... also lots of entegra owners upgrade to the koni shocks.. just the steers are needed according to most..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Don't know why, but what fixed my 13 wandering was really getting the front end lubed (by me). The alignment will help if it is not aligned correct. My steering wheel has a little "play" in it, but it will drive straight. I would prefer the play was not there.

I put the Michelin X-Coach on the front (at Pro Tire - same as you), and Pat installed my Koni's on the front, and the side to side sway is much better, and overall the ride is quieter with the new tires and shocks.

I filled the King Pins with the wheels lifted, set it down, and put in more grease, and made sure all the little rubber boots on the steering links were full of grease.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I really like the Michelin X-Coach tires. I also had the Safe-T-Plus installed at Pro Tires. During the install they check my alignment snd was spot on. I haven’t installed the Koni shocks and am not I need them. My Aspire tracks really well and driving in cross winds is a lot better.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:01 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on grease. I have had an alignment, ride height adjustment and added Koni shocks, but best results were from a grease job I did myself.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Here is what worked for me. Several others made posts about what worked for them. Grease is the easiest, but the shocks on the Classics make all the difference in the world. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/koni...ng-297539.html
It's a pretty comprehensive post about steering problems, several with photos
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #7

When we picked up our ‘17 Anthem we were never told anything about greasing the coach, nothing. We went about our way and I noticed things getting worst. The coach progressively got worst. I was always trying to correct my steering and the coach never tracked properly down the road. Even when I straddled the crown....

Since we were on our way to Spartan for the academy class I figure I’d have them look it over. Several problems were uncovered during our inspection. The biggest problem was that the king pins were frozen due to lack of grease. Our mechanic had to rebuild both sides. The alignment was never performed on the coach. This was evident when Spartan asked Entegra for the alignment numbers from the factory. Ride height was out by over 3/4 of an inch on one side of the front end. The only thing that was just about right was the tire pressure. Prior to picking up the coach I talked with a few Anthem owners and since I didn’t know for sure my weight I used their tire pressure to get me to Spartan before I got weighted.

Since everything above was performed and I continue to keep it that way our Anthem rides just about perfect. I couldn’t ask for a better ride.

What I’d recommend, before you start adding and swapping parts, is to make sure everything is greased properly and adjusted to within specification. If you still continue to have issues, then I’d get both Spartan and Entegra involved. Don’t shotgun the problem because you have others telling you to add this or try this. Bring in the folks who designed and built the product first....
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #8

Usually the problem with wandering steering is tire over inflation. Go to a truck scale and weigh each axle. Go to your tire manufacturer's website and look up the inflation for your tires by the weight they are carrying. Remember your steering tires are larger than the other six so don't look at the wrong chart. Also divide by half to get the weight for each tire, except the drives which are divided by four.

Tire pressures are by far the most common cause of poor steering.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
If you still continue to have issues, then I’d get both Spartan and Entegra involved. Don’t shotgun the problem because you have others telling you to add this or try this. Bring in the folks who designed and built the product first....
For me that didn't work, took it back twice. It took Perry Legends in Columbia MO to finally get me "on track" JME
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The coach was aligned 3 months ago. It has new Michelin Coach X tires. The coach has been weighed and tire inflation set accordingly. The prior owner claimed to have a full service (oil, filter and lube) done in February. I had the chassis inspected and found to be in good condition by NIRVC in Lewisville.

Think I may have to look at a Safe-T-Plus, although I didn’t think that did much when I installed one on my Monaco. But I’m game to try anything. Maybe I’ll check in to Koni shocks as well.

As is, the coach is totally drivable but getting ride of the wandering would be a big help.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
The coach was aligned 3 months ago. It has new Michelin Coach X tires. The coach has been weighed and tire inflation set accordingly. The prior owner claimed to have a full service (oil, filter and lube) done in February. I had the chassis inspected and found to be in good condition by NIRVC in Lewisville.

Think I may have to look at a Safe-T-Plus, although I didn’t think that did much when I installed one on my Monaco. But I’m game to try anything. Maybe I’ll check in to Koni shocks as well.

As is, the coach is totally drivable but getting ride of the wandering would be a big help.
Shocks, Safe-T-Plus, Alignment, Ride Height, Tires and such all may help get it the best it can be, but if you're like me on a Mountain Man Chassis, (Solid front Axle), it is, what it is. Just the nature of this configuration. Those that have the K2 Chassis (independent front suspension) may not experience it as much as I do. JMHO

Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:07 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
John, if you are back in DFW area Pro Tire in Denton will install both the Safe T Plus and shocks for you. They are a authorized dealer for Safety T Plus
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
John, if you are back in DFW area Pro Tire in Denton will install both the Safe T Plus and shocks for you. They are a authorized dealer for Safety T Plus

Thanks. I bought my Michelin’s from them.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

my 2015 Aspire (all stock front end) doesn't wander until the tires heat up. I run 115 lbs per my weight. i had spartan work on front end alignment and ride height...it helped but still has some wander as tires heat up. not bad enough to spend big money to make minor improvement. May add Koni when i replace goodyear tires. if someone finds solution please share!!
grr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote