RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #1

Water from roof AC vent after starting AC, not from rain

We have had this issue several times in the last several months.

Last night we ran the AC in the back all night, fan on high, temperature set at 66, in SW Florida. Turned off the AC in the morning.

At noon I started the middle roof AC, no water, but when I turned them all 3 on, maybe 1/2 cup of water came out of the air supply vent over the bed. I have the cover off and can see that it is coming from the side of the vent that is towards the front of the RV. We get this after turning on the AC but it doesn't continue, just the initial amount.

Any thoughts? It appears that condensation builds up overnight and sits in a low spot and then with both the middle and front ACs are turned on it pushes the water out.

Thanks
Van Sayler
2017 Anthem 44b

vsayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #2

Hello Vsayler,
I had a similar problem with my 2008 Newmar Kountry Star. I went up on the roof to check any open cracks from seals, etc. and did not find any. I also caulked around the small solar panel. In addition, I took off the shrouds from the roof A/C's. There are four bolts that secure the A/C's to the roofs. I also "re tightened" these, being careful not to over torque them. Later this year, I removed the small solar panel (only 5 watts), which is pretty much useless. The wiring for the panel was in good shape and looks to be not the problem. Therefore, I am led to believe that the front A/C unit, where the area of leak was more or less was the root cause problem, since the water leak disappeared. Also make sure the drip pan has nothing obstructing it for proper drainage.

Regards
Dutch Master

Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Each AC should have a drain pump that removes the condensation from the AC Unit. Make sure the drains are not clogged up with debris - you can blow some light air pressure through them, and many put a small amount of bleach through the drain tubes to clean out the drains.

Assuming your MH is running the Mach 8 units with Heat Pump and Condense pumps The drain is a clear plastic hose, and should be visible when removing the AC cover and the inside cover (mine was 4 nuts to remove)
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Condensation comes from the Evap Coils
Any condensation should collect in drip pan and then drain off...either gravity or via pump

Drains are small and clog from debris or mold growing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
An easy way to check for a clogged ac drain line is to use a turkey baster and inject a mixture of water and bleach into the line then check the drain line under the coach for the bleach smell. Plus this will kill any alge that maybe growing.

Could one of you ac units be freezing up? I have had this happen. If so check the units to ensure the freeze sensor is pushed into the evaporator. Found mine dangling in the vent.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I also think one of your units might be freezing up. The first thing to check for is restricted air flow from dirty air filters. High humidity and restricted air flow are a bad combination. You might also try leaving the fan running continuously instead of auto on the thermostat and see if that makes a difference. Running the fan on low or hi continuously will help keep it from freezing up. Like Herb said the freeze sensor is a possible problem also.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Had the same issue - on ours Anthem

The ac frost sensor on the coils was miss installed at the top. Once it was moved to the correct location and checked all the drains "none were blocked". This issue has not come back.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Van, living in FL, a 66 degree setting with 72% current humidity will cause condensation. The dew point would be close to any temp being below 72* will cause condensation. If I set the thermostat in my S&B that low I will have condensation on the inside of the windows. My Anthem would do the same thing if the DW turned the rear air to low while loading her closet. Raise the temp up to normal and the sweating would stop.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #9

so I checked the drain hoses, all 3 were putting out water, but I went up to the roof and put a mix of 50/50 water/chlorox through the hose with a turkey baster in the rear and middle ACs. Then I changed all of the A/C filters. Testing today did not produce any water, so hopefully it is fixed. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Van
vsayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
so I checked the drain hoses, all 3 were putting out water, but I went up to the roof and put a mix of 50/50 water/chlorox through the hose with a turkey baster in the rear and middle ACs. Then I changed all of the A/C filters. Testing today did not produce any water, so hopefully it is fixed. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Van
It's only only 49* this morning and a high of 66* today. I'll bet it won't sweat

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, vent, water