Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

Water Leak 1st Curbside Basement Compartment

Finally got a chance to look into a water leak we get in the first curbside basement compartment if we drive in the rain.

First thing I did was empty that compartment and have the wife lock me in to see if I could see daylight anywhere.

I could see a little daylight on the lower seal where the hinge screws compressed the seal. However the real amount of light was coming in from an air gap vertically along the right side of the front carpet covered plywood.

Got out and investigated the front right wheel well. Where I found a bead of hard chalking material that was on the metal frame member but not touching the plywood. Nice 1/8" gap behind the bead before the plywood. Pictures below are from the inside of the wheel well looking at the wall of the first compartment. Second picture shows the bead better, but isn't in focus.

Then as I looked at the pictures, I noticed that the plywood seems to have taken some damage from rocks, etc.. and I got thinking that seemed stupid to allow plywood to be exposed to the rear of the tire like that. So I looked at the drivers side and found a sheet metal liner on the rear side of that tire. Both fronts and Drives have exposed coated plywood to the front of the tires.

So besides a heads up about what I found, my questions are:

1) Does anyone have a wheel well liner on the curbside? I can't see where it would have attached, but it seems really strange to have a liner on drivers side and not one on the passenger side.

2) Aside from trying to create a liner, my current plan is to use some 3M 5200 to seal the seams between the frame and plywood. I'm thinking both from inside the compartment and in the wheel well. I can get at the gap much easier from the inside. So I know I can get a good beam there. Then if I miss a spot in the hard to get to wheel well, its still stopped from getting all the way in. Not the best I know, but I want to make sure it is sealed up.

3) Finally, what would you coat the plywood with in the wheel well? I can contact CS and see what they used for all the undercoating. But I wonder if something more substantial like Rhino coating would be a good idea. Besides anything I coat in there should help the 5200 to seal things up.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1021968.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	257895   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1021970.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	257896  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spay can of undercoating should work fine. Good heads up and nice report. I had a similar problem on the Travel Supreme with the basement compartment frames being poorly sealed to the plywood. Used Spray foam and black enamel spray paint, never had another problem. Your fix will be better than mine.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Steve,

Thanx for bringing this issue to everyone's attention.

I also, will be investigating my intermittent issue of a wet carpet area along the front of the fresh tank compartment floor. It seems to only occur when I completely fill the fresh water tank to 100%, but there had been an earlier post about screws puncturing the wall of the tank at installation that had been the cause of the leakage. I haven't removed any panels yet to explore that any further.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #4

Chuck, thanks!

I don't understand why they put a liner on one side and not the other. Not only would a liner be good protection for the basement, but also the fuel fill line.

Steve
Old 08-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #5

John, if you only get the wet carpet at 100%, I would check one or both of the over flow lines. Could have a leak at the fitting on top of the tank, or the tube doesn't properly exit completely through the floor.

FYI, at least on my DEQ be careful in that area above the fresh water tank. I have a lot of flex drain and whole house vac lines in that area that have some brutally sharp hose clamps on them. They're mostly above your sight line and they are unforgiving. I guess they never expected us to go in behind that panel.

Steve
Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Basement water leak

Steve

I wanted to thank you for taking your time to give such a comprehensive report on the water leak, cause and cure. I checked my wheel wells in the front and both sides are covered with sheet metal. Since it is an area exposed to road debris something like this could happen. I will keep in mind when doing visual inspections going forward.

Thanks,
Ron
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

Mine has a shield on passenger “curb” side non on drivers side. Starting in 2020 the fuel fill hose no longer runs through the wheel well.👍👍
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #8

Steve,

Thanx for the advance warning on the hose clamps, kevlar gloves may be in order! I'm hoping either one of your suggestions is the problem. I dropped the Sea-Level readout down to 95% last weekend and I won't be at the Coach until 9.12 so hopefully it would have dried out.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Mine has a shield on passenger “curb” side non on drivers side. Starting in 2020 the fuel fill hose no longer runs through the wheel well.👍👍
Strange, seems to be hit or miss. I have one shield on drivers side, and you have one on curb or passenger side, and I assume we both have fuel fill lines in each wheel well.

Steve
Old 08-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
Strange, seems to be hit or miss. I have one shield on drivers side, and you have one on curb or passenger side, and I assume we both have fuel fill lines in each wheel well.

Steve
Yes to the hit and miss and yes to fuel fill lines in wheel well.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwstoner View Post
Steve

I wanted to thank you for taking your time to give such a comprehensive report on the water leak, cause and cure. I checked my wheel wells in the front and both sides are covered with sheet metal. Since it is an area exposed to road debris something like this could happen. I will keep in mind when doing visual inspections going forward.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron, thanks like most things people post here, I wanted to add something that people might want to take a glance at even if they don't have an active leak. We had seen some wetness in that compartment over the last 3 years but I brushed if off since I had usually just pressure wash the coach.

Then earlier this year we had to drive is serious downpours for a couple hours and that compartment was soaked. So I knew I had a real problem.

Steve
Old 08-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
My ‘19 was parked outside in a typical Florida thunderstorm downpour and that compartment was drenched. Still not sure how. There was no driving involved.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
My ‘19 was parked outside in a typical Florida thunderstorm downpour and that compartment was drenched. Still not sure how. There was no driving involved.
Check the drain holes above the doors that drain the rail above the doors. If they’re plugged water will run over into the bay. They put sealant in that channel to keep water out of the bay, but some times they also plug the drain holes.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Check the drain holes above the doors that drain the rail above the doors. If they’re plugged water will run over into the bay. They put sealant in that channel to keep water out of the bay, but some times they also plug the drain holes.

Thanks for that. That will be first on my list when I get back to the coach!
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak