Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #1

Water Pump Cycle

Once again, I searched the forum to see if this topic has been brought up. I don't know what I do wrong, but never have any luck with the search engine.

My fresh water pump cycles on for about 2 seconds every 3-5 minutes. I have looked everywhere and can't find a water leak, nothing shows up under the coach, which I would think if there was a leak it would show up on the ground, under sinks, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The water pump comes on when the pressure drops below the preset PSI. Your pump is most likely coming on because the check valve that prevents pressure from pushing water back into the water tank is leaking. A not uncommon issue. You might see if the check valve can be replaced or rebuilt. If not, adding a new check valve in the line between the pump and the tank would be the solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

Not necessarily there can be a very small leak in a great number of places that will not show up for a very long time. I know, NOT good news but true. For sure try the check valve, that is the easiest and quickest thing to try but don't assume that will fix it. Take a flashlight and look and feel everywhere you can to hunt a leak. The sooner you find the solution the better. All JMHO
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

I have been looking everywhere when hooked to city water. Water pressure is high here so I took off the water pressure regulator to see if it would show up, but no luck with a leak (or maybe good luck?). Will look at backflow valve when I can find it. Not anywhere around the pump on wet bay, will have to take cover off of water tank see what I find. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Also check your shower head for just a drip. The mixing valve in the shower on mine drips once in awhile. Mine will cycle not even two seconds maybe one.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Shower leak was my problem also. Found it crossthreaded. Did not find it until water came through the floor in the bedroom and Entegra suggested taking out the shower box to check and sure enough there it was. Showerbox broke taking it out and had to be replaced.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Mine was a slightly loose washing machine hose. Like to never found it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Well, I have checked everything (and some twice) with the exception of the backflow valve, assuming there is one. I have even turned off the water to the refrigerator to see if there was a leak there. Having difficulty finding backflow valve. There is a valve below the feed line to the pump, and when I turn it off the pump acts like it is loading up and click every few seconds for a split second.

I swear it now sounds like the the pump is cycling a little more often, or maybe it is beginning to drive me crazy....
Old 10-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

Had the same problem. Pump would cycle on/off every twenty minutes. You could set your watch to it. I checked EVERYTHING, but found no leak. This past August I forced Entegra to swap out the pump while there having other things fixed. Sat at Entegra for another week having work done and the pump never cycled again. Have checked it several times since replacement and no cycling.

On another note, since the pump was changed my fresh water tank no longer fills on its own. Not bad, two for the price of one!
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Had the same problem. Pump would cycle on/off every twenty minutes. You could set your watch to it. I checked EVERYTHING, but found no leak. This past August I forced Entegra to swap out the pump while there having other things fixed. Sat at Entegra for another week having work done and the pump never cycled again. Have checked it several times since replacement and no cycling.

On another note, since the pump was changed my fresh water tank no longer fills on its own. Not bad, two for the price of one!
I hesitated to mention that another sign of a bad check valve would be filling the water tank to overflow when on city water. I wasn't sure how the RV was plumbed, but it is common for some configurations to allow city water to push past the check valve and fill the tank. This also happens in some systems when a selector valve leaks and allows water to fill the tank from the city water setting.

If so equipped, if you could shut off the water between the pump and the rest of the RV water system, this would allow the pump to build up pressure and determine if it's leaking somewhere not observed or pushing past a check valve back into the tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Pump

I had the same problem, Entegra changed out a valve at the water tank that they thought was causing the problem. Next day it was doing it again. They changed out the pump and it stopped. Turns out that it had a failing pressure switch.
DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #12

X 3 on the pump.. mine also started cycling at random..
Replaced the pump and no more... ( btw. Upgraded to the shurflo 4008
As many have ) just higher quality unit
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #13

Likely the pump. BTDT. Shurflo pumps as installed in the ‘17s are the 4008, which is known to have these symptoms. You could swap for another 4008, or go to a 4048 and likely escape your issues.

I’ve found adjusting the 4008 to be an exercise in frustration. Get it right and after a month it malfunctions again.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Likely the pump. BTDT. Shurflo pumps as installed in the ‘17s are the 4008, which is known to have these symptoms. You could swap for another 4008, or go to a 4048 and likely escape your issues.

I’ve found adjusting the 4008 to be an exercise in frustration. Get it right and after a month it malfunctions again.

-Matt

You are correct... I upgraded to the 4048 not 4008... your post made me think about it harder.. ( it’s been awhile)it’s 4 gpm not the 3 gpm.. so far it’s been great..
Justin
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump