Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
The manufacturer put a 3.0 gpm pump for a reason and it wasn't to save 50 bucks..

I'm going to have to disagree. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers target a certain price point on these coaches and making those numbers work require compromise. The 4008 water pump is adequate at best for a high line coach like these and most people will want to upgrade. I know considering the amount of dry camping I do I will take the higher volume pump. Now if I decide to go and bury myself in the woods for a month like Grizzly Adams and squeeze every milliamp of power out of the battery bank and take showers in the swamp to conserve water then I'll just take 15 minutes to wire up and plumb the old pump to save water. The chances of that happening for me though are pretty slim.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Well, this thread just illustrates how each of us has his own priorities. It is a personal decision whether you want a lower flow pump for boondiocking conservation or a high speed pump for stronger flow. Neither side is right or wrong. The factory has to make a choice and no matter what that choice is some will be disappointed, so I think they are wise to choose a less expensive pump. Let the folks who want a stronger pump do the upgrade. Personally I find the original pump to be quite adequate and less wasteful of water when boondocking, but I understand where the other side is coming from too.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 PM   #17

...glad you asked. Don't upgrade!! The problem with the higher GPM is that you will run out of water or the hot water heater will not keep up with the flow especially when boondocking or on the road.

I upgraded because I wanted the higher pressure but soon realized I was running out of water. Grrr.

Just replace with what you have. Trust me.
Road_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:46 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
For what is worth, the new model Entegra's now have 4 GPM pumps. Those that are serious boondockers may want to downgrade.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King View Post
...glad you asked. Don't upgrade!! The problem with the higher GPM is that you will run out of water or the hot water heater will not keep up with the flow especially when boondocking or on the road.

I upgraded because I wanted the higher pressure but soon realized I was running out of water. Grrr.

thanks for posting your personal experience with your pump ... this is what I concluded also...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King View Post

Like Marc said above everyone is different and it's the same with your experience. I'd guess there's something else wrong with your setup.

We put in the same pump as Matt D, the ARV variable speed, almost a year ago. It's rated at 5.3 gpm and we've never run out of hot water. Even though we never dry camp we almost always turn the pump on for showers because it offers much better pressure and flow rate than most campgrounds (and significantly better than the original 3.0 gpm pump). Also, it's nice to be able to flush a toilet and use another faucet at the same time, which isn't possible with the original pump.

From a practical standpoint, installing a pump rated at a higher flow doesn't mean that every time a faucet is turned on the pump is putting out its full flow. There are many restrictions in our plumbing systems that prevent full flow. Our original shower head, for instance, was rated at 1.5 gpm. We replaced it with a 2.0 gpm head, still well within our Aquahot's ability to keep up.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Fyi...Aqua Hot is only rated for 1.5 gpm. I learned this when I was certified at Aqua Hot in May of this year, and the standard shower heads for coaches are rated for 1.2gpm. Getting a higher rated pump may in fact decrease your shower time of you take hot showers like I do.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #22

Jim that is right on, however if you leave the shower restriction in place, you will not overcome the AH.

If others aren't aware, the restriction is a simple nylon washer. It will only pass a certain GPM.

In our case, I installed a shut off valve with a button so when boondocking we can shut down the water temporarily. I can also use this to throttle the flow down if the incoming water from the CG is very cold.

Typically, this is only necessary when we camp in the mountains or ambient temps below 40F.

Best Regards,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
For us replacing the water pump was not about more gpm or less gmp it was about the piece of crap the Shurflow 4008 pump was to start with. The internal valves were either sticking closed and no flow or were bypassing and allowing the pump to run for a few seconds every 10 minutes.

I replaced the Shurflow 4008 with a Flojet 4406 3.3 gpm pump and am very satisfied with its performance and most of all it's reliability.

The Shurflow 4008 has no business being in any higher end motorhome.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #24

Spartan Chassis
There’s speculating on what a higher flow pump will do and then there’s actual experience with a higher flow pump. Experience trumps speculation every time. Do what you feel is right for you but be cautious of the kind of advice you accept.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
For us replacing the water pump was not about more gpm or less gmp it was about the piece of crap the Shurflow 4008 pump was to start with. The internal valves were either sticking closed and no flow or were bypassing and allowing the pump to run for a few seconds every 10 minutes.

I replaced the Shurflow 4008 with a Flojet 4406 3.3 gpm pump and am very satisfied with its performance and most of all it's reliability.

The Shurflow 4008 has no business being in any higher end motorhome.

I Agree
Surmotor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, water, water pump