Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Water when slide retracted

We are experiencing lots of water on the floor when pulling in the passenger slide and the topper is wet. We "bump" the slide in, but still the floor is soaked on both ends of the passenger slide. It appears that the wipe seals are not doing their job. Are others having this problem?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Never had the problem. The topper being wet should have nothing to do with it. The water should roll off as the slide comes in. However, in heavy rain with wind, I have seen water lying on the slide top under the topper. So it sounds like the wipe seal is bad or out of whack to me. Inspecting the wipe seal is easy enough to do.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3

This happened to us one time. I think we were advised that if it rains overnight and we are leaving we raise front or rear to allow water to drain off slide before retracting.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
This happened to us one time. I think we were advised that if it rains overnight and we are leaving we raise front or rear to allow water to drain off slide before retracting.
Good rule of thumb for anyone with a slide!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

The biggest problem with water on the slide toppers is that ENTEGRA mounts them level instead of having them lower at the slide. What is nice is leaving for dinner and a gust of wind blows the water off the topper and covers you with water when you are exiting the coach....I have experience. They tell me they have no fix for this. BTW there are no wiper seals on top.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We always have a drink before we go to dinner so the blowoff seems like a minor issue. Life's too short to be ruined by a bit of water. After all - what did we do before umbrellas?

Our coach is so level water runs off the roof front and back from rain or A/C. Too level? We raise the front a bit. You can't tell it but the water can.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

You haven't lived until you lift the jacks, retract the slides, start the engine and head for the gate and hit the brakes - and have gallons of icy water pour all over you.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog44 View Post
We always have a drink before we go to dinner so the blowoff seems like a minor issue. Life's too short to be ruined by a bit of water. After all - what did we do before umbrellas?

Our coach is so level water runs off the roof front and back from rain or A/C. Too level? We raise the front a bit. You can't tell it but the water can.
So what does that have to do with the way the slide toppers are mounted and them collecting water???
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
So what does that have to do with the way the slide toppers are mounted and them collecting water???
Well -

1. I guess if Entegra is doing a great job of leveling and

2. Unfortunately it results in too level toppers as well as

3, Too level rooftops so that we have runoff problems, then

4. We can try to deal with the result (tilting the coaches as needed) and

5. Having a bit of humor.

Sorry if I was out of order.

Emerson
Old 04-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Engineering Solution:)

You know, I been looking at mine and looking at others....seems to me that from a design perspective it would be tough to set them at an angle above the slide and then for the topper to retract smoothly as the slide came in.

So the engineer in me took over. Let's see:

- identify the requirement for a vibrating device that will, automatically when you retract the levelers, start vibrating the slide toppers on each slide. These would need to be located on the outboard end of the slides and the topper holders would need to float on some type of rubber pad so they could vibrate the water off...hmmm sounds complicated, being a problem solver, moving on...

- develop a robotic swing arm that rotates out from the coach under the slide topper. Locate it in the center and when it reaches the center of the topper, it would rotate up two inches, taking the slack out of the slide topper and forcing the water to roll off. Naturally it would do this automatically when the levers are retracted...oops, what about when you don't have the levelers deployed...back to the drawing board....

- sell a L-shaped retracting rod, stowed in a new compartment made especially for it so it wouldn't get lost or damaged. When it rains, you deploy the rod carefully not to scratch the slide finish between the topper and slide...wait, this would require you move quickly or you get wet...maybe a training video

You know maybe just use the proposed solution and tilt the levelers...or wait for the wind to empty them like mine did today.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

On the L shaped solution and video could we get Tadd to do that on youtube, with the introduction music ----I've always thought he was "all wet" (man do I hope Tadd is following this thread).
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #12

Nothing "L" shaped please...I don't need anything else to bang into!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #13

Maybe if they were mounted at an angle like these it wouldn't be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 King Aire.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	37252  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Well - again - maybe strategically located umbrellas?

Tags
slide, water