Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

We are leaving from GA after July 4th and

Heading to Glacier National Park can some of suggest some great places along the way? We will be heading up to Sioux Falls then turn left we will come back a different way. Lastly what campground would you suggest at or near Glacier NP?
Thanks
Randy & Bev
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Mitchell, SD is the home of the Corn Palace. It's worth a short stop and is right along your way. More important in my view is Badlands National Park which is extraordinary, then the Rapid City area which includes Mount Rushmore and the exceptional Custer State Park (No RV here, toad only). There is a Minuteman Missile museum in that area which is fascinating. Also, downtown Rapid City is really nice.

After that you have Crazy Horse Monument, and Sturgis if you are into motorcycles. A shortish detour will take you to Devil's Tower National Monument of Close Encounters of the Third Kind fame, in eastern Wyoming. Lots to see in Billings and Butte Montana, do a web search. Near Butte is the Anaconda Copper mine which is (or was) the largest open pit mine in the world. Makes for a fascinationg sight. Check to see if they still give tours.

Missoula is a neat western college town and worth a stop. There are aso some abandoned ghost towns in western Montana not far from your route. After Missoula you will depart the interstate and head up toward the very pretty Flathead Lake, Kalispell, and Whitefish which is the entree point to Glacier NP. Kalispell has a very interesting Smoke Jumper (aerial firefighters) base which gives tours. The main attraction at Glacier NP is the Going to the Sun Road, which is closed to vehicles over 22 feet so you'll need to take your toad and do a round trip to see that breathtaking scenery.

Lots to see along your route. I don't have a campground suggestion but I would check campgroundreviews.com.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Mitchell, SD is the home of the Corn Palace. It's worth a short stop and is right along your way. More important in my view is Badlands National Park which is extraordinary, then the Rapid City area which includes Mount Rushmore and the exceptional Custer State Park (No RV here, toad only). There is a Minuteman Missile museum in that area which is fascinating. Also, downtown Rapid City is really nice.

After that you have Crazy Horse Monument, and Sturgis if you are into motorcycles. A shortish detour will take you to Devil's Tower National Monument of Close Encounters of the Third Kind fame, in eastern Wyoming. Lots to see in Billings and Butte Montana, do a web search. Near Butte is the Anaconda Copper mine which is (or was) the largest open pit mine in the world. Makes for a fascinationg sight. Check to see if they still give tours.

Missoula is a neat western college town and worth a stop. There are aso some abandoned ghost towns in western Montana not far from your route. After Missoula you will depart the interstate and head up toward the very pretty Flathead Lake, Kalispell, and Whitefish which is the entree point to Glacier NP. Kalispell has a very interesting Smoke Jumper (aerial firefighters) base which gives tours. The main attraction at Glacier NP is the Going to the Sun Road, which is closed to vehicles over 22 feet so you'll need to take your toad and do a round trip to see that breathtaking scenery.

Lots to see along your route. I don't have a campground suggestion but I would check campgroundreviews.com.
Wow, thanks for all the info!!!
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
X2 for MRUSA...we spent a months in theRapid City area last Summer and never ran out of things to do (in June). About the only thing we didn't have much appreciation for was Wall Drug and Geronimo statue at $20 a pop and unfinished.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Crazy Horse, not Geronimo. You'll get the natives upset.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #6

When you leave south Dakota on I 90 need to stop and see the Devils tower and then their are the huge open pit coal mines in Gillette Wyoming and as you travel west and turn north to Sheridan and Buffalo their is Fort Fetterman Battle & Fort Phil Kearny and the wagon box fight. In Sheridan their is the Sheridan inn history that Buffalo Bill Cody had a big part of this building The King rope making and the King Museum & Trail end Mansion & Briton Museum. North of Sheridan is the Rose Bud Bud battle sit and about 60 miles north of Sheridan is General Custer Battle sit. If you go west of Sheridan is Cody Wyoming and their is a great museum of Buffalo Bill and huge rifle Winchester collection and Indian collection Western art collection and from their you call travel into Yellowstone National Park and the GrandTeton National park. You can then travel up into Montana. Stop at vistor centers on your way and pick up a lot of information. Some of the items I listed are free to see. We live in Sheridan Wyoming and drive a Anthem Thanks Wayne Baumann
bill cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Well...I didn't spend the $20. If I had, maybe I'd know more about the show
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #8

And if you can don't forget the needles highway
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We camped inside Glacier NP about 10 years ago in a 40ft Monaco. The campsites inside the park are really intended for trailers and smaller MHs. Adding to that the campground was full of dead trees. You might be better off camping outside the park. We took a Jeep up high in the park looking for animals and didn't see much. If you want to photo sheep or maybe a bear you'll need a long lens. The hiking was great and also mountain biking.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
US 20 across Nebraska instead of the Interstates. Neat little towns, historic sites, Fort Robinson, Lava flows, Bowring Ranch, historical plaque pull offs.

Friendly locals... finger wave from the east, full hand off the wheel by half way across. Small city cgs in many spots. We even stopped dead for about half hour one time for a real cattle drive right down the middle of the highway 1,000 head moving ranges. Changing geology and tree/grasslands/crops.

https://www.google.com/#q=us+20+nebraska
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
US 20 across Nebraska instead of the Interstates. Neat little towns, historic sites, Fort Robinson, Lava flows, Bowring Ranch, historical plaque pull offs.

Friendly locals... finger wave from the east, full hand off the wheel by half way across. Small city cgs in many spots. We even stopped dead for about half hour one time for a real cattle drive right down the middle of the highway 1,000 head moving ranges. Changing geology and tree/grasslands/crops.

https://www.google.com/#q=us+20+nebraska
I couldn't agree more, US Highways over the Interstates any day of the week. That is really seeing the country, and US 20 is beautiful.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote