Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #1

Weak radio reception

Our FM dash radio on our 2013 Anthem can't seem to get any radio stations unless unless we are in their parking lot. Seems it must be an antenna problem but can't seem to find where the cable is located or even the back of the radio. Any suggestions?
hikndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I went though the same thing. Replacing the radio finally solved the problem. You can also see if there is any sealant on the roof that has been layed over the antenna blocking reception.

I couldn't receive a strong station 5 miles away until I changed the radio out, now it works inside of a metal building.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Same here...I have plugged in a different antenna to our radio and get much better (acceptable) reception. Ergo, I believe that the antenna on the rig or its wiring to the radio is suspect. NIRVC will check it for me this week. I'll post back if they come up with a solution. As to Brobox's suggestion...this is my second radio.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

I have poor reception with mine and had it checked by a radio person. The antenna wire apparently goes up the passenger side post and would be hard to replace or repair, so I just told him to forget about it. I subscribed to sirius satellite radio and pay to listen to it instead of free FM.

Chuck, what radio did you change out? Could it be just a defective radio in my coach?
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It was the main radio in the dash. The USB did not work, nor did the FM radio.

Easy way to check is to buy or borrow a cheap FM antenna, 4 screws to remove the dash panel and plug the other FM antenna in. The FM antennas on the roof have been sprayed with too much sealant at times. Might try peeling any excessive sealant off.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #6

They replaced our antenna at the factory during a stop by last year. A half hour ordeal. Fixed the problem but other radio / nav problem caused radio replacement. Still good reception but now our Sirius cuts out for a minute or an hour from time to time. Need to call CS this week.
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Had the same problem with 13 Aspire. New antenna now the radio works great. Good luck.

Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Have the same problem, complained to Entegra a couple times, they say it is "normal", but I can get just as many stations on my dental fillings. Ready to remove the factory antenna anyway as it is constantly whacking tree branches. Assuming the antenna cable is not damaged, a good antenna, or better yet an amplified antenna placed inside the front cap might be the answer.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Rob, I knocked the factory FM antenna off on the Travel Supreme and replaced it with a short universal antenna from Walmart in the auto section. It worked 3 times better than the factory antenna and no more whacking it on tree limbs.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Rob, I knocked the factory FM antenna off on the Travel Supreme and replaced it with a short universal antenna from Walmart in the auto section. It worked 3 times better than the factory antenna and no more whacking it on tree limbs.
Sounds good Chuck, will check that out. I know it sounds a lot worse than it is but it makes us cringe every it hits something.

What about the CB antenna? Any replacement suggestions for that one?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
If you don't use the CB, an alan wrench will remove the 2 ft wire antenna. I leave mine on as a warning device. Kind of like the curb feelers my Dad on his cars when big white walls were in style.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If you don't use the CB, an alan wrench will remove the 2 ft wire antenna. I leave mine on as a warning device. Kind of like the curb feelers my Dad on his cars when big white walls were in style.
Yeah I remember those! Actually I was thinking of installing a CB for advance traffic warning purposes, primarily listening. A few times talking to the truckers at the fuel stops has saved us some from getting caught up in major traffic event.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Yeah I remember those! Actually I was thinking of installing a CB for advance traffic warning purposes, primarily listening. A few times talking to the truckers at the fuel stops has saved us some from getting caught up in major traffic event.
I agree and I am glad you reminded be to get my CB out of the garage.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swenster View Post
They replaced our antenna at the factory during a stop by last year. A half hour ordeal. Fixed the problem but other radio / nav problem caused radio replacement. Still good reception but now our Sirius cuts out for a minute or an hour from time to time. Need to call CS this week.
We are having the same issue. CS is shipping us a new radio control head. Hopefully this corrects our problem. Will repost an update after swapping this out with the results.

Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio