Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
What happens when snow melts off the roof

But it's still 25 degrees outside. Icicles didn't form on the gutter downspout but they did when the cold water hit the cold wheel!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481257681.601238.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	146298

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

Vance

I think you have this motorhoming idea all confused. You are supposed to drive that motorcoach to somewhere where it is warm, not somewhere it is snowing. I think you are new to this business, but a word to the wise..... Go south in the winter, North in the summer.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Vance, as mentioned in the other thread...if it is still freezing overnight, the melt that collects on your slide toppers will turn to ice, be heavy on the toppers, and more trouble than just sweeping the snow off when it comes time to move...just beware. I'd also watch where the refreeze occurs under the drains off the side of the roof; make sure you don't have a build up on the coach in the areas where the slides go in that would affect the seal...or that ice doesn't come in the coach on the side of a slide and leave you with a wet floor.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Vance, as mentioned in the other thread...if it is still freezing overnight, the melt that collects on your slide toppers will turn to ice, be heavy on the toppers, and more trouble than just sweeping the snow off when it comes time to move...just beware. I'd also watch where the refreeze occurs under the drains off the side of the roof; make sure you don't have a build up on the coach in the areas where the slides go in that would affect the seal...or that ice doesn't come in the coach on the side of a slide and leave you with a wet floor.

Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I learned a couple winters ago to clear the toppers when I can. I also learned to not be near them when Robin retracts the slides if there may be ice on top!

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
After what Vance and his son have been through the past 2 years, I am really pleased is he is able to spend the holidays with his family. I am also enjoying his posts about cold weather issues and the education I am receiving.

We follow the fall colors home each year and sometimes get caught in an early freeze. I haven't been there with the Entegra yet, so any pointers Vance is sharing, I am grateful. Keep up the posts Vance and thanks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We really don't get stuck in bad weather on the way home but we generally have to leave in it if we leave Wisconsin in late February to head to Texas for a month.

The main thing to remember is to use a plastic snow shovel when you shovel the foot of wet snow off the roof. That way it won't scratch the fiberglass. Be sure to wear a snow suit too because you will have to kneel to do this. You won't be able to stand up because the layer of melted snow on the roof is like an ice rink.

The Entegra doesn't compare to our Allegro Bus in that respect. Our Bus was able to melt quite a bit of the snow but the Entegra has great insulation so you'll have to shovel it all off. I could push it off the roof on the Bus but the Entegra has those raised Girard awnings so it all has to be lifted and thrown over the awnings. But those awning do make for great guardrails. When done you simply move the coach out of the driveway and get the snowblower out to clean off the new drifts you just created and packed down by driving over. Isn't winter great?

Just counting the days until we can leave for Texas on a one way trip and never come back.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #7

Mark, I love ya man but that post is the single most disturbing thing I've read in a long time!

You need to come up with a roof heater mod, kinda like the block heater.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Just counting the days until we can leave for Texas on a one way trip and never come back.
I had the biggest smile on my face as I pointed the snow shovels, ice scrapers, etc in the garage as I gave the keys to the new owners of our house in Colorado. It is a feeling you will never forget. We are still smiling as we watch the current weather report for that area.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years ago, we had a delay heading south from New Hampshire. We were in the middle of selling one of our houses, but couldn't close until the week of Thanksgiving. We then planned on spending Thanksgiving with my sister in Maine and then head south that weekend. We were staying at a year round CG in NH with the water and sewer hoses disconnected and stored. Thanksgiving eve we got an unexpected snowstorm with a foot of snow! Before we left for Florida, I had to get up on the roof and shovel the snow off. Now, I had about 2-3 feet of snow on the ground around the perimeter of the MH. Because I wanted to drain the black and gray tanks before we left, I had to dig through the 3 feet of snow all around the driver's side of the MH in order to find the sewer connection! Where's the fun in that! I also had to stow away the 50 amp power cord. Do you know how stiff they are when it's in the single digits out?! We now make sure we head south BEFORE Halloween! Less chance (but no guarantee!) of snow then!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
People ask how I ended up in southern AZ. I left Idaho with a snow shovel tied to the hood of the car. When a guy said "what's that?" I knew I was far enough south
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #11

To continue to hijack Vance's thread...

My worse experience, so far, is lying on my back on my ice covered driveway in something like -6 air, -20 wind chill temps, changing a fuel filter that is frozen over.

Of course it took WAY too long getting the stuck filter off, while enjoying cold diesel running down my arms. Then it took an additional 4 hrs running all over the city getting 911 and cetane boost jugs to thaw out the tank.

Finally got the old girl running, but like an idiot, I decided 3pm was too late to head south.

Next morning... Yep, you guessed it, filter frozen again. At least I already had all the supplies, and a now ruined coat to quickly slide under the RV to change the filter one more time.

That evening we pulled into Nashville, hopped out to pay and thought the 39 degrees felt GREAT in my short sleeves. Lady in the camp store thought I had lost my mind walking in without a coat. Minutes later I'm setting up camp, and a guy next to me comes out and starts laughing when he saw me in my short sleeves. Then he says, "how far south did you drive today? Myself I came from Wisconsin".

It was at that point I realized he wasn't wearing a coat either.

Steve
Old 12-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #12

Well we are in Southern Texas now near San Antonio and temps have gone below freezing last two nights and cold in daytime. Sometimes there's no way to win.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #13

In the winter, I carry a 5 gallon garden sprayer in the basement full of windshield DE-icer fluid. From the ground you can spray the slide toppers and let it sit for a while until the ice melts off the toppers.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:23 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to learn how to winterize here is the BEST method

Step one: Obtain a used snow blower.. Now an electric one might be easier to use for this, does not matter if it works or not (not is way cheaper).

Step 2: Tie, strap or otherwise attach it the front of your Motor home

Step 3: Hook up towed

Step 4: If you have not already done so bring in sides, lift jacks and pack for travel

Step 5: Insert key,, Turn to start.

Now in step 6 we drive... IN the direction of the equator (South in the USA)

when you stop for fuel and somebody tips their hat back, scratches their head, while looking at your snow blower and asks "What the @#$@ IS that thing for........ You are winterized.

Tags
roof