Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

What I recently did for cheap diesel - not worth it...

I have a high school friend who has a summer cottage near Fredonia NY. That is right off the New York Thruway. When I visited him three years ago in my Anthem, I discovered on GasBuddy that there was Seneca Indian Nation land about 15 miles up NY Route 5 right on the edge of Lake Erie and it was selling diesel fuel for ~ 80 cents less than non-native American stations so I patronized a station called Native Pride. I bought nearly 120 gallons of diesel for 80 cents less than elsewhere for a savings of a cool $96.00 on one purchase.... WOW!!!!!!!!

So I just happen to be visiting him again at his cottage, staying at Lake Erie State Park, and decided on the way to the park I would divert up to the same place and buy another ~ 100 gallons of diesel. Checked local prices off reservation and going diesel prices was $3.25 to 3.29. Price at Native Pride was 2.59 but noticed a new station a little further up Route 5 that was at $2.47 gallon (no biodiesel either)!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a savings of 82 cents a gallon, so decided to go to the new place Catt-Rez (have no idea of what that means). So passed up Native Pride station and headed further North a half mile. However, on a three lane road, noticed two seemingly low train overpasses and paid attention and as I approached the overpass, saw the little white sign painted to the right support saying 12'6". Ohhhh boy, so coasted to a stop in the middle lane with 4-way flashers flashing (towing the Honda by the way). This was one of those situations I was unbelting and heading out the door to drop the toad and somehow turn the coach around and head back south when a dually F350 (guy who pulls a big 5er) stopped beside me and said, "Its OK, you can make it". I pantomined "Really" and he nodded "Yes". Now this was not one of those curved overpasses... this was straight across and my bet was it was no higher in the center than at the edges.

I have inserted a picture of the bridges and the white sign at the edge saying 12'6". My coach has the Hadley air ride system and I dropped the coach 4" and moved forward just inching. Got to the place where the front cap would be under the first steel support and heard nothing.... creeped forward and heard the antenna tinkle/drag against the first steel beam.... then the second, then the third and then every one.... and there is a second RR bridge right beside the first and the antenna tickled each of those support beams. Wow..... that was nuts! I found the Catt-Rez station right past the second bridge and took on diesel at $2.47 and charged it on my PenFed card so my final price was $2.35 which was amazing, but WOW in New York State .... $2.35 final price to me. Now I had to do it again the other way, so got in the middle lane, drove 1 mph, coach dropped 4" and with the additional weight of the fuel, hardly touched any of the support braces.

Now, I will never do that again. It was dumb.... very dumb. However I did it, but won't do it again. I learned my lesson. Now, I tell this story which is not flattering to me because there are good fuel prices that are NOT worth the risk. I have learned my lesson. For those of you who have rigs (not Entegra Coaches) but 5ers or small diesel rigs, you can find some amazing bargains by finding native american fuel stations but this place is for you guys.... not for us over 13'. Next time, there was a nice big Native American station in front of the bridges that sold diesel for 12 cents more a gallon, and I will fuel at that station the next time I visit my buddy.... and only save 70 cents a gallon buying there! I tell my story for the next dumb guy / woman who might be tempted to do the same thing.

However, the only positive is that we will now eat that fuel savings over a couple of nights out with food and drinks.... .... a wiser man

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NY Route 5 train overpasses.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	260012  
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I have a high school friend who has a summer cottage near Fredonia NY. That is right off the New York Thruway. When I visited him three years ago in my Anthem, I discovered on GasBuddy that there was Seneca Indian Nation land about 15 miles up Routh 5 right on the edge of Lake Erie and it was selling diesel fuel for ~ 80 cents less than non-native American stations so I patronized a station called Native Pride. I bought nearly 120 gallons of diesel for 80 cents less than elsewhere for a savings of a cool $96.00 on one purchase.... WOW!!!!!!!!

So I just happen to be visiting him again at his cottage, staying at Lake Erie State Park, and decided on the way to the park I would divert up to the same place and buy another ~ 100 gallons of diesel. Checked local prices off reservation and going diesel prices was $3.25 to 3.29. Price at Native Pride was 2.59 but noticed a new station a little further up Route 5 that was at $2.47 gallon (no biodiesel either)!!!!!!!!!!!! That was a savings of 82 cents a gallon, so decided to go to the new place Catt-Rez (have no idea of what that means). So passed up Native Pride station and headed further North a half mile. However, on a three lane road, noticed two seemingly low train overpasses and paid attention and as I approached the overpass, saw the little white sign painted to the right support saying 12'6". Ohhhh boy, so coasted to a stop in the middle lane with 4-way flashers flashing (towing the Honda by the way). This was one of those situations I was unbelting and heading out the door to drop the toad and somehow turn the coach around and head back south when a dually F350 (guy who pulls a big 5er) stopped beside me and said, "Its OK, you can make it". I pantomined "Really" and he nodded "Yes". Now this was not one of those curved overpasses... this was straight across and my bet was it was no higher in the center than at the edges.

I have inserted a picture of the bridges and the white sign at the edge saying 12'6". My coach has the Hadley air ride system and I dropped the coach 4" and moved forward just inching. Got to the place where the front cap would be under the first steel support and heard nothing.... creeped forward and heard the antenna tinkle/drag against the first steel beam.... then the second, then the third and then every one.... and there is a second RR bridge right beside the first and the antenna tickled each of those support beams. Wow..... that was nuts! I found the Catt-Rez station right past the second bridge and took on diesel at $2.47 and charged it on my PenFed card so my final price was $2.37 which was amazing, but WOW in New York State .... $2.37 final price to me. Now I had to do it again the other way, so got in the middle lane, drove 1 mph, coach dropped 4" and with the additional weight of the fuel, hardly touched any of the support braces.

Now, I will never do that again. It was dumb.... very dumb. However I did it, but won't do it again. I learned my lesson. Now, I tell this story which is not flattering to me because there are good fuel prices that are NOT worth the risk. I have learned my lesson. For those of you who have rigs (not Entegra Coaches) but 5ers or small diesel rigs, you can find some amazing bargains by finding native american fuel stations but this place is for you guys.... not for us over 13'. Next time, there was a nice big Native American station in front of the bridges that sold diesel for 12 cents more a gallon, and I will fuel at that station the next time I visit my buddy.... and only save 70 cents a gallon buying there! I tell my story for the next dumb guy / woman who might be tempted to do the same thing.

However, the only positive is that we will now eat that fuel savings over a couple of nights out with food and drinks.... .... a wiser man

Gary
Glad you made it ok Gary. I know the sound of that antenna dragging is unnerving. We went through the Chesapeake bay tunnel last year and the antenna drug the whole way. Increases the pucker factor by 10.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #3

Gary, I’m glad the only lasting damage was a scary story to tell.

We had a few problems early on, and we quickly decided having issues getting fuel was a huge risk, and simply not worth the stress.

In the last few years, we seldom stop somewhere we haven’t scouted before, or have previously been to.

Thanks for sharing.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

The things that big rigger's nightmares are made of.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #5

Sounds like my 2500 HD in a 6'4" parking garage in Washington DC. The truck is every bit of 6'2", apparently. If not a bit more......

Super creepy, and it was "just" a pickup.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #6

Gary,

I feel your apprehension...involved in the trucking Industry for 21 years, being associated with Trucking Accounts throughout the Western N.Y area, in addition to driving myself, throughout the area as a CMV Driver, I have not yet found anyone that can give me a definitive answer as to why the bridge overpasses are not marked for the true distance from roadway to the actual bottom of any corresponding support. I have heard that, "they are allowing for the buildup of snow" to "resurfacing of the roadway" etc. Another peculiarity of the wonderful State of N.Y.'s Thruway is the ability to travel i.e. 55 miles, be at mile/marker #55, where you are planning to exit, yet are looking at .... you guessed it...
Exit #3.
Call me simple, but wouldn't Exit #55 be a more appropriate labeling?

Maybe "wnytaxman" would be able to explain the reasoning of the State on this subject as I think he resides in N.Y.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
There is no way in hell that I would've tried driving under that. Glad it worked out for you. The pucker power may leave you sore for a week![emoji23][emoji23]
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

On the way back after fueling, there was a 13'6" semi sitting right on the berm of the road in the same spot trying to figure out what to do. My guess is his GPS went crazy (I had my volume turned down). He was waiting for me to come under. My guess is that he should not try it, as he can't lower himself and if I was 13'6 it would not have been my antenna scraping.... it would have been my air conditioners peeling slowly off the roof. --

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:16 AM   #9

I could care less about cheap fuel. I played that game for most of the summer until I took out an ATM cover at a Shell station In Southern Michigan driving around the back and trying to scooch into an outside island while my cataract affected vision was focused on that little green handle. Cost was $1000 insurance deductible, $800 for four nights in a hotel for 4 and two dogs, and several hundred for meals out while the coach was being repaired. Plus it screwed up our plans. S&S did a perfect repair but we had a 2 week wait before they could get us in. Truck fueling from now on or us. Lessens the hassle too.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Glad you made it ok Gary. I know the sound of that antenna dragging is unnerving. We went through the Chesapeake bay tunnel last year and the antenna drug the whole way. Increases the pucker factor by 10.
We go through the CBBT frequently and the first time I went through....I was definitely puckered up. It is an awesome view driving across and makes it all worth it. It doesn't happen a lot to us but there are definitely times I wish our Aspire had the ability to raise or lower for items like RR crossings and low utility lines.
2019 Club Car Onward
Hurleys RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
Gary,

Maybe "wnytaxman" would be able to explain the reasoning of the State on this subject as I think he resides in N.Y.
I live in NY state. I don't trust any height sign here. I've seen signs on bridges which only read "Low Bridge". How low? It's your guess. You'd better carry along a ruler if you want to know. Rusted signs which are years old and the road under the bridge has been repaved several times.
As if the height signs aren't enough to contend with the weight markings were installed on bridges when they were built. With bridges deteriorating over the years the signs remain for the original weight the bridges were designed for.
I'd like to explain the reasoning for this but in this state? Nope, not going there!
Lynn
Old 09-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #12

I dont live in NY, but travel I-90 often from Buffalo to Erie, PA and an frustrated by the MMs as well.

However, this from a google search and Wikipedia..

There are 31 Interstate Highways—9 main routes and 22 auxiliary routes—that exist entirely or ... There are a combined 1,673 miles (2,692 km) of Interstate Highways within New York.

I suppose that adds up to alot of signs and alot of $$$ to replace all of the signs.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I live in NY state. I don't trust any height sign here. I've seen signs on bridges which only read "Low Bridge". How low? It's your guess. You'd better carry along a ruler if you want to know. Rusted signs which are years old and the road under the bridge has been repaved several times.

As if the height signs aren't enough to contend with the weight markings were installed on bridges when they were built. With bridges deteriorating over the years the signs remain for the original weight the bridges were designed for.

I'd like to explain the reasoning for this but in this state? Nope, not going there!

Lynn

https://gis3.dot.ny.gov/html5viewer/?viewer=osowscreen
This is a website that I had to use to get the correct bridge height for getting my coach back to my NY house for the first time. There was no other option than going under this bridge to get to my driveway so the pressure was on!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5784.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	662.5 KB
ID:	260218
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

I have a summer cottage on the reservation and use that bridge. This year when I get the 2019 Dutch Star I avoided it until I actually measured it early one Sunday morning. I measured it at the solid yellow line on all sides toward the center. I had a Tiffin Breeze32 that was only 11ft 9 in, but the DS is 13+. Now I have gone under it 6 times.
The Cat res just put that diesel Isle in this year so you must have fit under their island hood.
Wasn't sure about that either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt5 Bridge on Seneca Res.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	260223  

2019 Newmar Dutch Star 3736, HWH Active Air
RoamingNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel