RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Vance brought up a very good point about "floor plans" and manufactures moving units to dealers. Last year Brett at NIRVC made one heck if a deal with Entegra in year end manufactured 2016's (32 I think was the number I heard). Those closeout prices were passed on to buyers making some purchasers very happy with the prices. It might be a good time for the OP to see if that might happen again this year.
I bought my Anthem from them last February, because it was priced 35% under MSRP. MHSRV could not even get close to that, so we took our trade-in to Lewisville, kissed it goodby and drove our Jeep to Atlanta. Oh, they paid our travel expenses too.

So, I was one of those happy buyers. The sale and delivery process was top shelf!

Also I did not drive it until I owned it because it was raining and I did not want to mess up that wax job up. That was my choice, they offered and I declined. I had confidence that if during my first time behind the wheel I found it unsatisfactory, that the folks at NIRVC would take care of it. All was good except the steering was tight and all it needed was a chassis lube which I did when we got back to San Antonio. I will give them first shot at my next last coach when the time comes.

Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I have several family members and friends in the vehicle sales business. A "floor plan" is a line of credit provided by a financial institution that the business buys vehicle with and routinely pays at least interest on. They buy their inventory from the manufacturer against that "floor plan" and it is now their financial responsibility. The dealer does in fact have risk and lots of "skin in the game." I have never heard of a manufacturer offering an "iron clad" program to buy back what can't be sold, they sell to dealers after they have done due diligence to ensure the dealer can resell what they sell them. If a dealer fails to sell a unit the manufacturer may help coordinate relocation to another dealer but they do not buy it back. Assisting in moving it to another dealer is a benefit to the manufacturer's reputation, not a sure thing. If that happens the failed dealer will not be provided future units. End of year works a little differently but if the manufacturer over builds for the market there should be new production and market managers in the future, the difference is usually in the form of wholesale price considerations.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
It is true per a little birdie - Dealers are guaranteeing. No bank wants another 2008

Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

This is true. I think the biggest reason for confusion is that the manufacturer does have to buy back unsold units but that's only if the dealer goes belly up or somehow loses the franchise. That is the only circumstance that I know of.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
This is true. I think the biggest reason for confusion is that the manufacturer does have to buy back unsold units but that's only if the dealer goes belly up or somehow loses the franchise. That is the only circumstance that I know of.

Mark is correct that the manufacturers do not have to buy back unsold units. They may help the dealer when a dealer reaches what is called curtailment. When a unit is unsold for a specific period of time, anywhere from six months to a year, then the loan can be curtailed and the dealer will have to pay for the unit or increase the amount of principle being paid to the floor plan. Sometimes the manufacturer will help but they don't have to.

Floor plan financing is tricky and most dealers will be audited regularly to make sure they aren't selling units and not paying back the floor plan note. I can only imagine what the floor plan costs are for mega dealers like RVOne, MHS, or NIRVC.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I can only imagine what the floor plan costs are for mega dealers like RVOne, MHS, or NIRVC.

A rumor is that MHSRV is self-financed now.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
We bought our first RV from MHSRV, and the process went smoothly without a hitch. Would have bought our second from them, but they didn't carry what we were looking for. Best part about MHS is their "free range" policy. I haven't been there in a while, but they used to just allow people to walk around their huge RV area, help yourself into various RV's, all without a salesman. I found that very useful because there was no pressure, or even social etiquette to worry about. My wife and I could talk without a salesman. Then when we were ready for assistance, our MHSRV guy (went by the name of "Cowboy" but his first name is Robert) was very helpful.

We had a good PDI too. No complaints at all.

I will add that we didn't own that RV for long--we upgraded within a year. It was a 35' gasser, and we quickly learned that we wanted a nicer DP. We did not have any warranty work done at MHSRV, so I can't speak about any service experience.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #49

The statement that I made before, I stand on. The coaches are owned by the flooring loan bank. The bank has a clear understanding that the manufacturer will buy the unit back if there are problems. If the dealer goes under, the bank has the manufacturer take the unit back and return the funds to make the bank whole.

There are even states where state law is clear that if the dealer want the manufacturer to take back the unit, the manufacturer must take it back and bear the cost. There are a number of states that have that in their state statute. Texas is one of them. You can Google it if you are interested in it.

The only reason I raised this issues is that I believe that a lot of owners think that the dealers are the group that assumes the most risk, and my understanding is that is simply not true. The huge costs are assumed by the bank under normal circumstances, and of course, the dealer, like anyone else has to pay for the interest on the loan. My understanding is that the bank is reasonably blaise' about the coaches being put "on the floor" because they know that they have very low risk.... as the manufacturer will make them whole.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #50

Gary you are correct with the idea "if the dealer goes under". That would be one of the only times I could see the manufacturer buying the units back.

I do know of a dealer who got stuck with a year old London Aire and he took a big hit on that one to move it. If he could have had the manufacturer take it back he would have done so.

If a dealer like MHS can self finance, that would be a tremendous savings. If a dealer has a $50,000,000 inventory and it is all on floor plan the costs would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $150,000 per month. You've got to sell a heck of a lot of units to make up that cost.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Mark is correct that the manufacturers do not have to buy back unsold units. They may help the dealer when a dealer reaches what is called curtailment. When a unit is unsold for a specific period of time, anywhere from six months to a year, then the loan can be curtailed and the dealer will have to pay for the unit or increase the amount of principle being paid to the floor plan. Sometimes the manufacturer will help but they don't have to.

Floor plan financing is tricky and most dealers will be audited regularly to make sure they aren't selling units and not paying back the floor plan note. I can only imagine what the floor plan costs are for mega dealers like RVOne, MHS, or NIRVC.

I worked with many dealerships over the years. Floorplan audits occur monthly, any units that are unpaid and not physically on the lot have to be paid immediately. The only time I have ever seen a manufacturer repurchase a unit (take it back) was the result of a lemon law claim...and I think we know how often that happens. Most large corporations have a financing arm for their floorplan but banking laws still cover that arm - the manufacturer is not part of that agreement. Dealers have the option to use whatever floorplan provider they choose. We were told a few years ago that MHS has the cash flow to self fund. If true, it puts them at a significant advantage over dealers who do not. With the right cash flow they would be saving many, many thousands in interest each month, with even more savings on curtailment payments for all the slower moving units. All dealers will get "holdback" - a percentage of the cost of the unit that is paid to the dealer. Some manufacturers pay the dealer who buys the unit, some pay the dealer who sells the unit, but, either way, this is straight income to the dealership. At model year end, some manufacturers will offer additional incentives for left over units, particularly if there is a model not selling well. It is typically the dealer's option on whether that incentive is passed through to the customer. Regardless, some dealerships are willing to discount units more because they have the additional profit from the holdback in addition to whatever they get over the cost of the unit. That's why you see auto dealers selling at "dealer cost," they are still receiving a nice chunk of profit because of the holdback on any vehicle. Long explanation but I hope it helps.

Linda & Rick
Lola, Dixie & Sammy (barking furbabies)
2013 Entegra Aspire/2014 Jeep GC
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
I bought my Anthem from them last February, because it was priced 35% under MSRP. MHSRV could not even get close to that, so we took our trade-in to Lewisville, kissed it goodby and drove our Jeep to Atlanta. Oh, they paid our travel expenses too.

So, I was one of those happy buyers. The sale and delivery process was top shelf!

Also I did not drive it until I owned it because it was raining and I did not want to mess up that wax job up. That was my choice, they offered and I declined. I had confidence that if during my first time behind the wheel I found it unsatisfactory, that the folks at NIRVC would take care of it. All was good except the steering was tight and all it needed was a chassis lube which I did when we got back to San Antonio. I will give them first shot at my next last coach when the time comes.
Larry, who did you use in SA for your lube? Sorry for asking this on this thread.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
good thread to read thru, I look at both sites and every time we drive down 35E tell my GF we need to stop. She is unconvinced and says we have a fantastic coach (which I agree, but being the male species I can always consider an upgrade) and I never get to stop Darn women

I think a test drive is important ( no I did not drive my coach before buying) but think it is important not to just let anyone test drive. These are not a car!! but I would want it conditional on my purchase that if the test drive went really bad, I could discontinue the deal and seek another one, not sure what would be that bad but you never know, sometimes it is just feel on something this large. Plus like others I am putting a chunk of change down I expect to be taken serious and a test drive is not unreasonable.

I bought from LD in Tampa and based on everything I would go to NIRV or MHS before going back to them, not that my experience was bad but the long distant purchase was more stressful.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Things to consider

To set the record straight I live in Texas and have visited both MHS and NIRVC. I also talked to Camping World and their negotiated price was one of the highest of all the dealers I contacted. I did buy an Aspire from NIRVC. The reason I purchased from them because they gave me the best price and allowed me to test drive no strings attached. I was able to order the unit the way I wanted and the colors. That being said the biggest reason I was turned off by MHS was that they would not give me a price on a custom order. Found out later the sales people are told sell units on the lot and take no custom orders. Also they would not let me test drive a unit unless I committed to buy first. That is BULL! I will agree they probably have the largest inventory of RV brands in the US.

On the comment about the sales person at NIRVC. I have always felt given everything is equal the sales person can make a world of difference. If you do not connect with sales person most likely the sale is dead before it begins. I was fortunate to have a women for a sales person and it worked out great.

I had a new DRV 5th wheel and NIRVC offered below wholesale. They simply did not want the unit. I sold it on my own and got $40K more than I would have received on a trade. Unless the dealer sells 5th wheels and your brand, then most likely you will not be happy with what they offer.

One final note! Timing is everything. If you go to a show or special event and Entegra Factory money is available then you should be able to buy a unit at the best price assuming the dealer discounts and is passing the saving off. When I bought my unit there was $7000 available in Entegra money besides the already reduced price. I think my unit came out at 37% off the MSRP. Is that good, I don't know, but I am happy. I will say this when I first contacted the dealer and got a price it was $16,000 higher than my finial figure at their show.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_ View Post
I have had a service experience with NIRVC that did not go very well but they will get my business again one day with service. Tony was very good to me a very blunt, the way I prefer it.

This last week Brett Davis from NIRVC called me to talk about the service experience. I have firm belief that he sought the cause and reason for dissatisfaction of my visit. I explained to him that I was not upset whatsoever as they were in the middle of their grand opening and were very busy. He introduced me to his GM and we all had a great conversation days later when I was asked to meet personally in Atlanta. Brett, your time and conversation was simply fantastic. It was a pleasure to have such fruitful chit chat. I'm impressed. This dealership is going in the right direction !!!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
I think my unit came out at 37% off the MSRP. Is that good, I don't know, but I am happy. I will say this when I first contacted the dealer and got a price it was $16,000 higher than my finial figure at their show.
I learned many years ago on large purchases that if I thought the deal was good enough to close then I should never second guess the deal afterwards.
Besides you can always find someone that will claim you could have done better !

Just enjoy your coach !

Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote